Knitting Vintage Socks: New Twists on Classic Patterns (2005)

by Nancy Bush

Everything old is new again, and this collection of vintage sock patterns mines Weldon's Practical Needlework, a compilation of newsletters published more than 100 years ago, for some of the best. Twenty-four classic patterns are updated here for modern knitters with the inclusion of gauges, contemporary yarns, modern methods, and modern sizes. Filled with fascinating household and historic tidbits from the era, along with little-known tips such as an unconventional way to shape a heel, this historical and gracefully written book evokes a more genteel time while presenting a bevy of colorful socks not seen for nearly a hundred years. After an introduction to a few techniques from the original Weldon's, the patterns begin with an 1887 pair of Gentleman's Shooting Stockings with Fluted Pattern and end with a pair of Ladies' Silk Stockings with Clocks from 1914. Intended for knitters of all levels, this walk down memory lane revives some very classic patterns that may have been gone but are not forgotten.… (more)

There are a few lovely stitch patterns in here that I'd like to use someday (Gentleman's Shooting Stocking, Gentleman's Sock, Child's First Sock), but I dislike how each pattern is one size. As a sock noob, I'm looking for someone else to do the stitch count work for me! ( )
  beautifulshell | Aug 27, 2020 |
I love knitting socks, and I love vintage patterns, so this book was a very exciting find for me. I've only had time to knit one of the patterns so far, the "Gentleman's shooting stockings with fluted pattern," but it was easily the most beautiful pair of socks I've ever made.

I saw some other comments on the spiral binding, and I must admit that it doesn't bother me at all. On the contrary, I find it nice that the book lays flat and isn't constantly closing on your pattern.

A great choice for anyone looking for a new old pattern. ( )
  heidilach | Oct 5, 2009 |
Beautiful and interesting patterns ( )
  Siglinde | Feb 9, 2009 |
Some very good stitch patterns in here. Unfortunately there are no charts for most of the patterns, and even more unfortunately the spiral binding -- always an awful choice -- is some of the most horrible I've seen; the pages both squeak noisily AND stick when being turned, and how long the paper will stand up to it is a good question.
  Passer_Invenit | Oct 20, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,823,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible