Guardian Angel by Sara Paretsky

Guardian Angel (1992)

by Sara Paretsky

A neighbor, Hattie Frizell, has the father of Vic's dog/s puppies. Frizell has let her yard go native and is found collapsed and unresponsive. A neighbor gets himself and his wife assigned as guardians and put Frizell's dogs to sleep. Vic wasn't a fan of Frizell, but didn't like how fast the dogs were disposed of. Then an old friend of her good friend, Contreras's goes missing. The old friend, Mitch, is an alcoholic who was bragging that he some kind of boon coming. Vic starts looking for Mitch and happens on a big conspiracy that involves her ex, Frizell and Mitch. Once again she is at risk and nearly killed. Her friend, Lotty, is beaten up when driving Vic's car and being mistaken for Vic.
  taurus27 | Sep 27, 2017 |
Sara Paretsky, creator of the popular V.I. Warshawski and an author whose following continues to grow with every book, now delivers the seventh case featuring "America's most convincing and engaging professional private eye."--Entertainment Weekly ( )
  Tutter | Feb 28, 2015 |
Honestly one of the best genre detective novels I've read in a long time. Complicated plot, plenty of action, and multiple plot lines that converge and tie up nicely in the end. It's a straight genre detective novel, so it's certainly not life-changing, but it's an excellent example of what it is. It's fun to read, it keeps you turning pages, and the conclusion is very satisfying. For vacation reading, you can't do much better. ( )
  TheBentley | Dec 19, 2013 |
I don't know why I took so long to read this...I was committed to the story and Vic is a loved character of mine.
I guess the crime itself was quite hard to keep track of, even though I was reading it more for Vic's life and person than her work.
It dragged at times, I did get a bit lost, and I needed to prod myself to pick it up, though once I did I was on a roll.
Just couldn't read too much at once.
Even now, i still couldn't tell you the story(!) But Vic is still my top pi...though her crown may slip to Kinsey Mialone..... ( )
  RuthieD | Nov 24, 2013 |
A fantastic instalment in the series, which has slightly dated - Vic doesn't own a computer - but which deals with contemporary problems: a possibly corrupt company and the issues of an elderly neighbour. Vic is a great character, feisty, determined and indomitable. ( )
  riverwillow | Apr 12, 2012 |
Tread softly, because you tread on their dreams.
- W.B.Yeats
For Matt and Eve
( Eva Maria, that is , the once and future princess).
Hot kisses covered my face, dragging me from deep sleep to the rim of consciousness.

Racine Avenue is going upscale—bad news for hand-to-mouth residents like V I Warshawski. As tax bills skyrocket, newcomers pressure old inhabitants into fixing up their homes or moving out. To the yuppies on the block the worst eyesore belongs to old Hattie Frizell, whose yard is “returning to native prairie, complete with hubcaps.” Their block club wants her and her five dogs gone.

V I and Hattie have a relationship of sorts: one of those five dogs gave V I’s dog Peppy an unwelcome litter. When Hattie slips in her bath and is rushed unconscious to the hospital, V I feels compelled to get involved. But neighboring lawyer Todd Pichea and his wife, Chrissie, act swiftly to get the courts to make them Hattie’s legal guardians. V I returns from a business trip to find they’ve put the old woman’s dogs to sleep. Furious, V I starts poking around in the Picheas’ affairs, hoping to turn up something scandalous enough to make them lose their guardianship.

Hattie isn’t the detective’s only worry. When her downstairs neighbor’s oldest friend disappears, Mr. Contreras persuades V I to investigate. As she probes both problems, V I uncovers a scandal linking one of Chicago’s oldest industrial families to union fraud and a politically connected bank. Her investigation takes her into the depths of the steamy Sanitary Canal and brings her eyeball-to-eyeball with her ex-husband, Dick Yarborough. When her dear friend Lotty Herschel and her own lawyer turn against her, V I is left alone to struggle with the most serious case of her career.

Guardian Angel, the seventh in Sara Paretsky’s best-selling series, proves once again that V I Warshawski is “America’s most convincing and engaging female private eye.” (Entertainment Weekly).

After her golden retriver has puppies, and her yuppie neighbors put them to sleep while dog-sitting, V.I. uncovers a corporate network of murder and corruption.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,917,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible