An Acceptable Time by Madeleine L'Engle

An Acceptable Time (1989)

by Madeleine L'Engle

Series: The Time Quintet (5), O'Keefe Family (book 4)

In the beginning I wasn't very excited, it felt like it was going to be much like book three in the series, my least favorite. But, in the end, I think this one was my favorite of the five. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
It was ok. You see how long it took me to finish it, though. ( )
  DKnight0918 | Oct 28, 2018 |
They spend way too much time talking. I kept waiting for something to actually happen. It seemed odd Polly's grandfather had trouble accepting the concept of time-travel given what happened to him in the first boo, ( )
  nx74defiant | Jul 15, 2018 |
Pretty feeble. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
Fifth in the 'Time Quintet', featuring Polly O'Keefe, although it stands alone. Polly has gone to live with her grandparents for a while, and finds herself unexpectedly three thousand years in the past...

There are some realistic insights into what life might have been like in this era, complete with druids, healers and also warriors. There's another clan on the other side of the lake, whose goddess apparently demands human sacrifice in order to bring rain, to stop the terrible drought...

It's quite a page-turning book, one that I wouldn't recommend to younger or sensitive children. Since Polly must be at least sixteen, it's probably intended primarily for teenagers anyway. There's a tad too much detail in places, for my tastes, and some of the conversations seem a bit stilted. But the story is interesting, if far-fetched, and there's a powerful message of love conquering evil.

There's more of an overt Christian message in this than in the earlier books in the series, but it's mostly shown in contrast with the polytheistic religion of the past.

Worth reading if you like the series, but I doubt if I'll read it a second time. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 22, 2018 |

Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
Dana, Ber & Eddie
Ron, Annie & Jake
She walked through an orchard, fallen apples red and cidery on the ground, crossed a stone wall, and wandered on into a small wood.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440208149, Mass Market Paperback)

A flash of lightning, quivering ground, and, instead of her grandparents' farm, Polly sees mist and jagged mountains -- and coming toward her, a group of young men carrying spears.

Why has a time gate opened and dropped Polly into a world that existed 3,000 years ago? Will she be able to get back to the present before the time gate closes -- and leaves her to face a group of people who believe in human sacrifice?

This Commemorative Edition includes a new introduction by the Author.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

Polly O'Keefe goes to spend a quiet visit with her grandparents. She meets several unusual people, who lead her on a trip back through time, where she discovers the importance of love in human relationships.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,340,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible