dismiss

Fire in the Lake: The Vietnamese and the…

Fire in the Lake: The Vietnamese and the Americans in Vietnam

by Frances FitzGerald

This is the prize winning work of the tragic collision between two cultures - the Vietnamese and the American.
1960s (28)

Very interesting work. It reviews the Vietnamese side and the American side of the war. If you served in Viet Nam I think you are going to feel really bad about the whole experience. ( )
  douboy50 | Nov 2, 2019 |
This is one of those works that I am sure I read years ago but have reread more recently for profit. It still remains an essential work for me in regards to the Vietnam war.
  gmicksmith | Sep 12, 2016 |
When this was written about Vietnam, no one wanted to read about this woman's perspective on what was happening there - later, they realized she was right...too late... ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Published in 1972 - before the war was even over - an amazing account of the clash of cultures engaged in conflict in Vietnam in the 1950s and 1960s. Fitzgerald was only in her 30s when she wrote this, but she was well placed to write this perceptive and detailed history. ( )
  kday_working | Apr 7, 2013 |
The edition I am reading is 1972, so it is chiefly the background of the culture and politics of Vietnam about which I had no previous knowledge so I cannot verify how true this information is. That said it seems to be an amazing collection of information about a country completely different from the US and incomprehensible to people who go there expecting things to work the way they do here. In that vein it sheds light on other and more recent conflicts in whech we have been involved.
  ammurphy | Mar 12, 2012 |
To the memory of my father and Paul Mus
The emperor of China sits on a raised dais in a vast hall thronged with the mandarins in their embroidered robes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,530,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible