Fire in the Lake: The Vietnamese and the…

Fire in the Lake: The Vietnamese and the Americans in Vietnam

by Frances FitzGerald

1960s (51)

This is one of those works that I am sure I read years ago but have reread more recently for profit. It still remains an essential work for me in regards to the Vietnam war.
  gmicksmith | Sep 12, 2016 |
When this was written about Vietnam, no one wanted to read about this woman's perspective on what was happening there - later, they realized she was right...too late... ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Published in 1972 - before the war was even over - an amazing account of the clash of cultures engaged in conflict in Vietnam in the 1950s and 1960s. Fitzgerald was only in her 30s when she wrote this, but she was well placed to write this perceptive and detailed history. ( )
  kday_working | Apr 7, 2013 |
The edition I am reading is 1972, so it is chiefly the background of the culture and politics of Vietnam about which I had no previous knowledge so I cannot verify how true this information is. That said it seems to be an amazing collection of information about a country completely different from the US and incomprehensible to people who go there expecting things to work the way they do here. In that vein it sheds light on other and more recent conflicts in whech we have been involved.
  ammurphy | Mar 12, 2012 |
This is the only widely available English language account of the Vietnam conflict that portrays events from the Vietnamese perspective. The book discusses how social, cultural and religious factors impacted on how the indigenous population viewed the war, and shaped their involvement in it.

Although these subjects are complex, the text is unnecessarily verbose and at times repetitive. However, there is much detail in `Fire in the Lake' that is not covered in any of the other heavyweight histories of the conflict and I would recommend it to anyone already familiar with the more prevalent, US-focussed history of the war. ( )
1 vote cwhouston | Nov 21, 2010 |
To the memory of my father and Paul Mus
The emperor of China sits on a raised dais in a vast hall thronged with the mandarins in their embroidered robes.

This landmark work, based on Frances FitzGerald's own research and travels, takes us inside Vietnam-into the traditional, ancestor-worshiping villages and the corrupt crowded cities, into the conflicts between Communists and anti-Communists, Catholics and Buddhists, generals More...
and monks -and reveals the country as seen through Vietnamese eyes. With a clarity and authority unrivaled by any book before it or since, Fire in the Lake shows how America utterly and tragically misinterpreted the realities of Vietnam.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:45 -0400)

This landmark work, based on Frances FitzGerald's own research and travels in Southeast Asia in the era of the Vietnam War, takes us inside Vietnam -- into the traditional, ancestor-worshiping villages and the corrupt crowded cities, into the conflicts between Communists and anti-Communists, Catholics and Buddhists, generals and monks -- and reveals the country as if through Vietnamese eyes. With clarity and authority, Fire in the lake shows how America utterly and tragically misinterpreted the realities of Vietnam.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,555,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible