In the Hand of Dante by Nick Tosches

In the Hand of Dante (2002)

by Nick Tosches

It was my birthday in 2002. I had rec'd a gift card to a local indie bookseller ( we miss you Hawley-Cooke) and I happily went to buy this. They were sold out. I bought instead Prague by Arthur Phillips which was quite the rave at the time and had the added interest of my impending trip to Eastern Europe. A friend of mine was cheating on his wife at the time. he went to another local and bought me a copy. He was a good friend. Was he buying my silence about his activities? I first read Prague and then (20 days?) later experienced a twist in its plot with my own soon-to-be wife in Budapest. Hours after finishing Phillips' Prague, I devoured In The Hand of Dante. Everything both stolid and electric about both Tosches and Dante remains present and pulsating throughout the entire novel, an agreeable amalgamation of literary homage and sinister thriller. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Just read the summary on the cover, it's more interesting. ( )
  TheCriticalTimes | Dec 28, 2018 |
This book annoyed me from the very first chapter and it never got any better. I've got nothing against swearing but when every second word is fuck then it gets to be a bit much. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
A bit confused by all the separate narrative strands at the beginning and it's slow going - especially with the seemingly autobiographical background. Is Tosches as bitter/angry as the book's character named "Nick Tosches"? Maybe he assumes I'm more intelligent than I am, but it seems disjointed to me. I felt myself wanting to skip over the sections in which Dante appears and found Tosches' rendering of some kind of Middle English often unintelligible. If I'm supposed to look up all the Italian and Latin bits - forget it! ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Unrated for reasons of "fuck it, reading this book is a waste of brain cells I could be spending on pretty much anything else."
  cricketbats | Apr 18, 2013 |
To Russ Galen
Louie pulled off his bra and threw it down upon the casket.

Deep inside the Vatican library, a priest discovers the rarest and most valuable art object ever found: the manuscript of "The Divine Comedy," written in Dante's own hand.

Via Sicily, the manuscript makes its way from the priest to a mob boss in New York City, where a writer named Nick Tosches is called to authenticate the prize. For this writer, the temptation is too great: he steals the manuscript in a last-chance bid to have it all. As this dark and twisted journey unfolds, so too does a parallel tale: the odyssey of Dante himself, a man trying to weave a poem that contains the sum of the world's wisdom and the very breath of the divine.

This novel combines Tosches' vast scholarship about "The Divine Comedy," Dante Alighieri, and the Middle Ages with an equally vast and intimate knowledge of the lowest murdering scum of New York's ugliest streets. IN THE HAND OF DANTE is a work of astounding audacity and beauty, the masterwork that Nick Tosches has been building toward for years. Some will find it offensive; others will declare it transcendent; it is certain to be the most ragingly debated novel of the decade.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:33 -0400)

Literary thriller.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,736,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible