Dragons in the Waters

by Madeleine L'Engle

Series: O'Keefe Family (2), Kairos (6)

A thirteen-year-old boy's trip to Venezuela with his cousin culminates in murder and the discovery of an unexpected bond with an Indian tribe, dating from the days of Simón Bolívar.

When Simon’s ancient aunt sells her valuable Simón Bolívar painting to a distant cousin, Simon accompanies the cousin on a boat to Venezuela, where the cousin plans to return it to its original owner. His aunt raised him, and he very much lives in the past—a boy from the wrong era. On the boat a lot happens: he befriends 2 children accompanying their scientist father, the painting is stolen, and there’s a murder. Arriving at the Port of Dragons, even more happens: Simon is kidnapped and left to die, his aunt flies to Venezuela and ends up staying with an ancient tribe in the forest who are key to everything, and not everyone is who they claim to be. This is very much a precursor to A Wrinkle in Time, especially given the makeup of the main characters (a 14-yo girl Poly and her “special” younger brother Charles, friend 13-yo Simon, & the scientist father). ( )
  KarenMonsen | Apr 21, 2024 |
This is an exciting little book. Well written mystery but not too gory for kids. ( )
  JRobinW | Jan 20, 2023 |
Madeleine L'Engle is one of my all time favorite authors. Both her characters and storylines are thoughtful, well written and intriguing. She writes books that I can read again and again. Whilst this particular novel is not one of my absolute favorites and I do quite like it. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
A thoughtful murder mystery combined with coming-of-age story about one's ancestral heritage. While the Poly/Polly O'Keefe mysteries aren't nearly as engaging as the Time saga, L'Engle's insight and humor emerge, as well as her precocious adolescent characters. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
I read this back in junior high school. I remember being disappointed that there weren't any actual dragons in it, but I liked it a lot anyway. A good mystery. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crouch, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Robert Giroux
The M. S. Orion was tied up at Savannah, Georgia.
The M.S. Orion was tied up at Savannah, Georgia.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,416,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible