Firewall (1998)

by Henning Mankell

Series: Kurt Wallander (8)

A body is found at an ATM, the apparent victim a of heart attack. Then two teenage girls are arrested for the brutal murder of a cab driver. The girls confess to the crime, showing no remorse whatsoever. Two open-and-shut cases. At first these two incidents seem to have nothing in common, but as Wallander delves deeper into the mystery of why the girls murdered the cab driver, he begins to unravel a plot much more complicated than he initially suspected.… (more)

English (38)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (53)
Me encanta Wallander ( )
  Alvaritogn | Jul 1, 2022 |
I thought I had read all the Wallander books, so I was delighted to find there was another out there waiting for me. This one is as excellent as the rest. ( )
  JBD1 | Dec 31, 2020 |
I registered this book at BookCrossing.com!

Another complex plot for Kurt Wallander to make his way through. It begins with a man falling dead at an ATM. Seemed like a heart attack. Shortly after, two teen girls attack a taxi driver viciously, yet seem to have no real motive - or remorse.

Leave it to Wallander to make a connection between the two cases, although it does take some time. The cases expand to include an international conspiracy, which is what Mankell seems to enjoy most, as it gives him an opportunity to alert his readers to real human rights abuses. Getting there involves asking for help from a local teen boy, who is known for his computer skills. (I was a bit disturbed by the way Wallander put the boy at risk.)

Again, Wallander makes an effort to meet women and does meet one. He hopes for the best. Again, I was mystified by what exactly he sees in the women he dates, other than that they are physically attractive. ( )
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
Ein Taxifahrer wird brutal von zwei jungen Mädchen ermordet, ein Mann bricht vor einem Geldautomaten tot zusammen, seine Leiche wird aus der Pathologie gestohlen, in einer Transformatorstation finden die Beamten eine verkohlte Leiche. Ein turbulenter Fall, in dem lange so wenig zueinander passen will. Die Ermittlungen führen von dem kleinen schwedischen Städtchen Ystad bis nach Angola, reichen von Mord bis zu einem perfiden Computerverbrechen von internationalem Format.
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
I wanted to quickly work this book in before Sunday's PBS Mystery presentation of this book. Of the Mankell books I have read, this is my 2nd fave, after One Step Behind. ( )
  motherraccoon | Jan 8, 2020 |

Henning Mankellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Butt, WolfgangTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“A man who stays from the path of understanding comes to rest in the company of the dead”
Proverbs 21:16
The wind died down towards evening, then stopped completely.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,126,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible