Ward Six and other stories by Anton Chekhov

Ward Six and other stories

by Anton Chekhov

Recently added bySPW, jgcorrea, soraxtm, eeshakumar, private library, Floyd3345, laleblanc, Ashley_Hoss_820, GilGaer
Legacy LibrariesThomas Mann, Walker Percy

Excerpts from my original GR review (Apr 2012):
- I listened to an audio of Chekhov's "The Black Monk", containing the title story plus two others, liked them, and knew I'd come back to him.. I enjoyed this overall, and can see how modern critics hold him in high regard.
- 23 stories are presented here.. I re-read a few, and especially liked "Easter Eve" (1886), a brief story of a man who narrates his nighttime passage by ferry across a broad river, as a time of rejoicing approaches at the far bank. But the ferryman, job-bound with no relief, is in deep mourning for the loss of a close friend, and his sad plight stays with our narrator as he joins the holy communion. Another I enjoyed was "Neighbors" (1892), in which a young man is heartsick and depressed at the elopement of his beloved sister to a married man, a neighbor for whom the libeled brother is determined to rebuke. But as he makes his way toward confrontation in a doleful rain, his creeping inadequacy to the task makes for a strange visit.
- This collection begins with a very good Introduction by David Plante, enough biographic detail to set the stage. Final word: seems like a very good representational place to start with the author. I anticipate continuing some rain-lashed jaunts with him in future. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Apr 3, 2018 |
Wonderful, of course. Read a number of these, but not all of them. Will revisit eventually. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 18, 2016 |
Chekhov's cool, precise, ostentatiously unsentimental realism combined with heavy-handed irony, revolutionary and protomodernist in its day, now seems to me old hat, thanks in part to its having spawned a century of mediocre short fiction by hordes of imitators. I can usually, with a little effort, just manage to drag myself to the end of one of his stories. ( )
  middlemarchhare | Nov 25, 2015 |
A sublime novella. Wrought like a brilliant miniature, it is a radiant reflection on human nature and the human condition. Chekhov gives us a beautiful definition of compassion, and what it means when it is absent. It is impossible to read it without crying. ( )
1 vote Tjeerd-van-der-Heide | Aug 5, 2013 |
This is collection of short stories about doctors, academics, intellectuals, and the other characters with which they interact. The stories all have some kind of melancholy about them, either due to the ennui, infatuations, or quotidian boredom that the characters experience. While much of literature avoids describing this as its main purpose due to the fact that it is difficult to write well about, Chekhov turns the tragedy of the mundane into the aesthetic - perhaps inspiring the philosophy that Camus instructs in his Myth of Sisyphus, as a way of dealing with life. But these stories are also tempered by a palpable joy in places, and are worth reading alone for the heavy and convincing atmosphere of historical Russia.
These stories are likely to appeal far more to those who can identify with the characters, and probably to a greater degree than is usual. ( )
1 vote P_S_Patrick | Oct 9, 2011 |
Grisha, a fat, solemn little person of seven, was standing by the kitchen door listening and peeping through the keyhole.

Impressionistic and bold, the nine stories in this collection frame the middle period of Chekhov's career. Exploring both complicated and intense emotions, Chekhov presents a world without simple answers or universal truths. "Ward No. 6" is a savage indictment of the medical profession. "The Black Monk," the story of a scholar who has strange hallucinations, explores ideas of genius and insanity. "A Woman's Kingdom" and "Three Years" show women discovering that money, marriage, and choices do not necessarily bring happiness. In "Murder" religious fervor leads to violence, while in "The Student" a young man recounts a tale from the gospels and undergoes a sudden spiritual epiphany. Also in this volume are "The Grasshopper," "Adriana," and "The Two Volodyas."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:44 -0400)

&&LDIV&&R&&LDIV&&R&&LI&&RWard No. 6 and Other Stories&&L/I&&R, by &&LSTRONG&&RAnton Chekhov&&L/B&&R, is part of the&&LI&&RBarnes & Noble Classics&&L/I&&R&&LI&&R &&L/I&&Rseries, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of &&LI&&RBarnes & Noble Classics&&L/I&&R: &&LDIV&&R New introductions commissioned from today''s top writers and scholars Biographies of the authors Chronologies of contemporary historical, biographical, and cultural events Footnotes and endnotes Selective discussions of imitations, parodies, poems, books, plays, paintings, operas, statuary, and films inspired by the work Comments by other famous authors Study questions to challenge the reader''s viewpoints and expectations Bibliographies for further reading Indices & Glossaries, when appropriate All editions are beautifully designed and are printed to superior specifications; some include illustrations of historical interest. &&LI&&RBarnes & Noble Classics &&L/I&&Rpulls together a constellation of influences--biographical, historical, and literary--to enrich each reader''s understanding of these enduring works.&&L/DIV&&R&&L/DIV&&R&&L/DIV&&R&&LDIV&&R&&LSTRONG&&R&&L/B&&R &&L/DIV&&R&&LDIV&&R&&LSTRONG&&RAnton Chekhov&&L/B&&R invented the modern short story. With writing that is concise, realistic, and evocative, he became a sort of photographer in words, less interested in plot than in the subtleties of mood and atmosphere, and the telling detail. His characters, always vividly drawn, come from all walks of life and often seem to be caught up in a world they don''t quite understand. &&L/DIV&&R&&LP&&REarly in his brief literary career, Chekhov outlined in a letter to his brother his idea of the ingredients of a good short story. Arguing against moral judgments and political, economic, or social commentary, he wrote, "To describe . . . you need . . . to free yourself from the personal expression. . . . Subjectivity is a terrible thing." Instead, he favored objectivity, truthfulness, originality, compassion, and brevity. Although his writing developed and matured, he remained largely faithful to these principles. &&L/P&&R&&LP&&RThis new selection of twenty-three stories explores the entire range of Chekhov''s short fiction, from early sketches, such as "The Cook''s Wedding" (1885) and "On the Road" (1886) to late works, such as "In the Ravine" (1900) and "The Bishop" (1902). &&LI&&RWard No. 6 and Other Stories&&L/I&&R includes some of his most popular tales, such as the title story and "The Lady with the Dog" (1899), as well as several lesser-known works, no less masterful in their composition. &&L/P&&R&&LP&&R&&LB&&RDavid Plante&&L/B&&R is a Professor of Writing at Columbia University. He is the author of many novels, including &&LI&&RThe Ghost of Henry James, The Family&&L/I&&R (nominated for the National Book Award), and &&LI&&RThe Woods&&L/I&&R. He has been a contributor to &&LI&&RThe New Yorker, Esquir&&L/I&&Re, and &&LI&&RVogue&&L/I&&R, and a reviewer and features writer for the &&LI&&RNew York Times Book Review&&L/I&&R. &&L/P&&R… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,386,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible