dismiss

The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation by…

The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation (1981)

by Ollie Johnston, Frank Thomas

Other authors: Nai Y Chang (Designer), Walton Rawls (Editor)

The inside story of the gradual perfecting of Disney's character animation technology, an American art form.

This book is amazing. Disney in the '40s and '50s is the only boys' club I would want to join, but it is amazing me & Rachel taught ourselves all we needed to know anyway. There are pictures in here of animators sketching big bubbling vats of goo and making special instruments to animate the sound of a spiderweb covered in dew. Then I watched Fantasia again. It is truly a masterpiece. I love Disney. This is my favorite book. Five stars.
  uncleflannery | May 16, 2020 |
Marvelous book by two of Disney's original animators ("the Nine Old Men") and a great example of craftsmanship in animation as well as near-boundless creativity. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
I am looking to replace my lost copy of this book! ( )
  GregTurnbull | Apr 20, 2016 |
"The Illusion of Life" tells the tumultuous story of the beginning of Disney animation, how they grew from making shorts to feature films, and how they polished their craft as the post World World Two economy settled in. Johnston and Thomas speak from the perspective of having been there; they worked on many feature films including "Snow White," "Fantasia" and "101 Dalmatians."

Part history and part guide to animation, the authors tell many stories from the trenches of the animation studio. They not only share funny gags and conflicts within the studio, but also the best practices that they developed over several decades of film making. Included in the book are numerous behind the scenes drawings: caricatures of cartoonists, photos of Walt Disney acting out a sequence, and, of course, numerous sketches and concept drawings from some of Disney's biggest films from the 30s to the 80s. Highly recommended. ( )
  jasonli | Oct 8, 2014 |
This was a Christmas present from my mom when I was about 12. She got it on the discount rack at Kmart and I used this book so much that both the front and back cover have fallen off. I just took it out and looked through it again last night, to find something to stretch my drawing muscles on since I haven't done any drawing in 15 years now. It's every bit as wonderful and full of inspiration as I remember it being. My daughter loves looking through it too. ( )
1 vote TLMorganfield | Sep 4, 2013 |

Ollie Johnstonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thomas, Frankmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Chang, Nai YDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rawls, WaltonEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,241,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible