Atget's Paris by Andreas Krase

Atget's Paris

by Andreas Krase, Eugene Atget

Series: Taschen Icons

Unraveling the mystery of Eugene Atget's life and work (1857-1927) is easier said than done. Now considered to be one of history's most important photographers, Atget (1857-1927) was relatively unknown until well after his death. We know that he made his living selling his prints, mainly to architects, artists, and institutions, but his categorical, obsessive method of photographing Paris street by street (doorknob by doorknob in some cases) lacks clear explanation. Atget wrote in 1920, ""I may say that I have in my possession all of Old Paris"". Indeed, he knew the city like the back of his hand and had the pictures to prove it. He captured the historical, atmospheric Paris: churches, monuments, and buildings, as well as bars, shop windows, street-peddlers, and prostitutes. Traversing all of its layers, he immortalized the true spirit of Old Paris. Why did he choose to spend his life roaming the streets with his heavy camera equipment, systematically cataloguing everything Parisian? The answer, if it can be discovered, must be found in the pictures themselves. Whether he intended to or not, Atget has left us with an impeccable record of turn-of-the-century Paris, not to mention a huge collection of stunningly beautiful photographs. This new book features 200 of Atget's most impressive images, many of which have rarely been seen before. Take a trip back in time and immerse yourself in Atget's Paris.… (more)
Recently added byRABateman, drsabs, therestlesscreative, private library, bkmbooks, K_R_Smith, Kurcfeld, jgcorrea

'what marvelous photographs!
  judithrs | Apr 1, 2009 |
Paris of old days through the gifted eyes of Atget. Here one finds fascinating interiors, the grandeur of historic buildings, the narrow streets, the poverty, the abandoned hopeless look on poor prostitutes eyes who sit languishly by the doors waiting for no better days, magnificent stairways, bazares, festivals. Here you find Versailles in it's splendor , window displays and mysterious outskirts as well as beautiful vehicles. Atget's eye tell stories and you feel they are real.
  Sakurako | Nov 18, 2008 |
Wish I were there. ( )
  picardyrose | Feb 13, 2008 |
Is there anyone better than Atget? For the nooks and crannies and garbage cans of Paris? I can look at his photos again and again and never grow tired of them. ( )
  KristySP | Nov 30, 2006 |

Andreas Kraseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Atget, Eugenemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, MalcomTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krase, AndreasIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,782,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible