Prince of the Blood (1989)

by Raymond E. Feist

Updated and revised with new material for its 15th anniversary, this special edition presents the novel--with its sweeping imagination, wonderfully drawn characters, and dark intrigue--as Feist always meant for it to be written.

English (23)  French (1)  All languages (24)
So far the weakest volume. ( )
  Mandalor | Jun 21, 2022 |
Among my favorite authors for compelling characters. ( )
  bardbooks | Nov 11, 2021 |
Reading through the entire world of Feist's Midkemia with a fantasy buddy, and having a great time with it. This is our 8th book, and we have not lost the enthusiasm yet.

Taking place about 20 years after The Rift War, the twin princes of Kronder are off on a diplomatic mission to the Southern Lands of Kesh. Being young, impulsive and lacking any inkling of diplomacy, you just know trouble lies ahead. The world of Kesh has similarities to the Middle East and Africa and the court intrigue keeps the book moving at fast pace.

This book lacks the in-depth character studies, and seemed remedial compared to past books. However, still a good escape and I am happy to move on. ( )
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |
The men in this book just keep falling in love right and left - it's seriously distracting and makes it not my favorite of the Feist books. But since there's 30something books in the Cycle, I'm not surprised there are a few I don't dig as much as the rest. ( )
  SSBranham | Sep 17, 2020 |
When I first thought of reading these books back in the 90's, I had some sort of presentiment that I wouldn't like it half as much as the Magician books... and so I let it go by the wayside. Now, so many years later, I decided to go back and pick up all the rest of the Feist novels and finally enjoy them anyway. The author has proven a lot of staying power... and it's for good reason.

THIS WAS GREAT! :)

Prince Arutha's twin sons, Erland and Borric, begin a couple of troublemakers who get into just enough trouble to be sent away as diplomats to straighten them out. After Borric seems to have been killed only to be sent into slavery, the two brothers have a very wild and impressive fantasy adventure ranging from escaping a sea blockade, taking up with mercenaries, and falling in with the scantily-clad Kesh royalty as schemes and plots come to a boil. Treason and a coup is part of the table settings. :)

Sound pretty standard? It would be except Feist writes one hell of a fast, fun, and awesome tale. It's more than just a coming-of-age tale. It's popcorn adventure with cameos of so many of our favorites from the previous novels. Jimmy the Hand has a big role and Pug comes and goes, but it's Pug's daughter who rather stole the stage a few times. :)

I was never once bored as I read this. I had a great time throughout. :) The worldbuilding is just as fun as the characters and the plot is more than fine. It's complicated enough to keep any adventure freak on their toes. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Raymond E. Feistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aher, JackieMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heufkens, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnson, KevinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with love to my wife,
Kathlyn Starbuck,
who makes everything make sense
The inn was quiet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,979,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible