The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (1986)

by Tamora Pierce

Series: Song of the Lioness Quartet (3), Tortall Universe (10 (Song of the Lioness 3))

On her first tour as a knight errant, Alanna assumes a position of influence with a fierce desert tribe, makes some changes in the role of women in the society, and continues her own emotional development.

English (50)  German (1)  All languages (51)
This book was always my least favorite of the quartet for a bunch of reasons but I still really appreciate Tamora Pierce writing a YA series where the heroine has an intense sexual and romantic relationship that doesn’t work out, not because of fantastical shenanigans but because they want different things in life and aren’t as compatible as they thought they were. I’ll still never completely be on the George train (Gary was clearly the best choice and he wasn’t even in the running) but I’m glad that Alanna didn’t compromise who she was for Jon. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

Several years have passed since I read Book 2 of Song of the Lioness. I didn’t remember putting in a hold for the next one, but the library just informed me it was available, so I started reading. Tamora Pierce’s characterization and storytelling show in how I recognized the characters and remembered what had come before with the help of small reminders in the text. Book 3, however, is odd. Where the previous two had a main plot plus an overall series plot to drive them, this story deals with the lingering effects of the earlier events. It gives the main character, Alanna, the chance to come into her own. We also see hints of what the next book will involve.

This is a middle novel, but don’t think that means nothing happens. Alanna goes seeking adventure and finds a different type than she expects, or even recognizes at first. A simple hillman attack in the desert turns deadly because the leader carries a magical sword. It’s only with the intervention of the Bazhir that she and Coram survive. The rescue is more from pot to fire as the Bloody Hawk desert tribe decides whether she should die for the crime of masquerading as a man.

Nor is this judgment the first challenge she faces. Alanna’s placed in reacting positions to several events rather than driving the narrative, though her reactions are true to her character. The one major decision she must make is something she avoids, even when given no choice. Her reactions give the book story, teaching the reader, along with Alanna, about the desert tribes and its traditions. We also learn more about the overall political situation between the northerners and the Bazhir among others, along with inspired solutions.

Alanna is very much a wish fulfillment main character in some ways. She seems able to rise to any challenge and has the special training or skill to succeed. This could have become annoying but doesn’t thanks to bringing the reader along. We see both her process and her struggles. The way Alanna doesn’t assume she will succeed helps, too. Nor does everything go smoothly for her with sometimes severe consequences, something that surprised me because I’d bought into her perfection. And, of course, her cat Faithful is around to keep her humble with sharp observations and a helping hand. Alanna is never long without friends either, showing another of her strengths.

Which brings me to the portrayal of the desert tribes and their customs.

There were places where I worried the northerners were coming in to fix things for the Bazhir, and to some degree that’s true. But rather than change imposed from outside, key northerners join with the tribe through their actions and as a result of Bazhir traditions. While Alanna challenges the gender roles, apart from a few outliers, her acceptance comes not from her actions as much from the tribe’s philosophies. I enjoyed how they absorb the desert’s nature into their culture. Which brings me to another reason I appreciate Alanna. She’s willing to learn and change as well rather than blindly forcing her views on the Bazhir. I loved the portrayal of the desert tribes, united in their connections to each other and the desert, but also individual in their opinions.

This novel holds an odd, but necessary, space in the Song of the Lioness series. Alanna has done the impossible and vanquished her mortal enemy, but she doesn’t celebrate that victory. She both doubts her actions and struggles with the lack of a goal. For a book where there isn’t a clear main plot, the character growth kept me reading, and the connections made, broken, and remade were lovely.

Alanna is a different person by the last page, with a better understanding of herself and the desert people. The Bazhir culture is complex and nuanced, even when addressing tradition and gender roles. Alanna learns to respect their culture even when it conflicts with her views by looking deeper than the surface.

I’m happy to have reconnected with familiar characters and met new ones. This book stands on the shoulders of the previous two, building on earlier events in unexpected ways. A fitting continuation to the series. ( )
  MarFisk | Oct 1, 2020 |
Part 3 of a 4 part series that's part of a larger series. This was an enjoyable installment in the Alanna stories. She's a little older, and more independent, and ready for an adventure with her trusty cat at her side. It's YA and a fast read. A lovely little vacation from my everyday life. I'm diving right into #4 next. ( )
  wills2003 | Jul 30, 2020 |
I read this for the "A Book With A Strong Female Lead" part of my 2019 reading challenge. I love Tamora Pierce, and this is one of my favorite series for sure. I devour her books every time. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
Alanna spends most of her first year as a knight amongst the Bhazir in the southern deserts, where she becomes more involved than she planned. Plus her entanglements with Prince Jonathan and with George Cooper, King of the Rogues, continue to tie her up in knots no matter how close or far she might be from the two men.

Happily, this third book in the series returns the excellent writing quality of the first. The plot is well done, Alanna continues to grow as a person in interesting ways, and the expansion of the world is fascinating. And if I could turn off the critical part of my brain that would be it. But instead, I ended up having squidgy feelings about the book because it's (unintentionally?) a white saviour narrative. Sigh. I'll be finishing the quartet because I want to know how things end up for Alanna but I also don't think I'll be revisiting these books. ( )
  MickyFine | Oct 18, 2019 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alvarado, TriniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyer, MarileeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patti,JoyceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Tortall Universe (10 (Song of the Lioness 3))
To Pa, Ma, and Kim--
my own personal pride of lions--
And particularly to Pa,
who started me writing in the first place
Alanna of Trebond, the sole woman knight in the realm of Tortall, splashed happily in the waters of an oasis, enjoying her first bath in three days.
"You are a terrifying creature," the Voice told her solemnly. "You do not take your place in your father's tent, letting men make your decisions. You ride as a man, you fight as a man, and you think as a man --"

"I think as a human being," she retorted hotly. "Men don't think any differently from women -- they just make more noise about being able to."

As Coram chuckled, Mukhtab said, "Have you not discovered that when people, men and women, find a woman who acts intelligently, they say she acts like a man?"

-- p.43
"Better that you die and become a legend. Legends force no one to change." (p.43)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,275,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible