The King of Lies by John Hart

The King of Lies

by John Hart

English (35)  Danish (2)  All languages (37)
A little bit predictable, but still very good. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Not a single page dragged. Third book of John Hart's that I've read. Was not disappointed at all. ( )
  Samqua | Feb 11, 2016 |
Attorney Jackson Workman ("Work") Pickens has just been told that the body of his father, the esteemed lawyer Ezra, has been found after he had gone missing a year ago. Ezra had been arguing with his daughter Jean when Ezra's wife stepped between them to stop the fight. Whether by accident or intent Ezra struck out at his wife sending her sprawling down a flight of stairs where she died from her injuries. Jean and Work were too stunned to implicate their father in their mother's death but when Ezra left the house that night and never returned neither sibling was concerned about his whereabouts. Ezra died from two bullets to his head and his body was left in an abandoned shopping mall. Work is afraid that his emotionally-fragile sister committed the murder so he begins to lay out the evidence that will point to himself as the culprit as he tries to find the truth on his own.

I believe I would have enjoyed this story more had I liked the characters. Work is a man who hates his life, his spouse, his job and seems to be just plain miserable in general. His wife is horrid, his sister is not bad but her girlfriend is frighteningly manipulative and aggressive. Ezra himself was a misogynistic pig who enjoyed pulling Work's strings. The mystery itself was a pretty good one although I did figure it out about 2/3 of the way through the book.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
This was a new to me author and narrator and I really enjoyed them both.
This is a mystery, yes, but it is also the story of family; a very dysfunctional family. I couldn’t stand Work’s wife, and even though a person should feel bad for the dead guy once we got to know him I didn’t like him either. I liked Work, yes there were times I wanted to yell at him and thought some of his choices were off but I really liked him especially what he said to his father’s lawyer ** no spoilers** but his response was epic!

I enjoyed this authors writing and see why he is so popular at my library. I will be listening to others by this author.

David Chandlers narration was well done he reminded me a bit of Scott Brick, except there were a few big gulps and mouth sounds but I think once he gets those under control he could be a big name he did all the voices very well and his male and female voices were very well done. So yes I would definitely listen to Chandler again. EDT:** I just noticed that this book was released in 2006 and it looks like it was Chandlers 2nd book, so I would guess he has gotten even better since then.**

4 stars ( )
  susiesharp | Oct 7, 2015 |
Jackson Workman Pickens—known to most as Work—mindlessly holds together his life: a failing law practice left to him when his father, Ezra, mysteriously disappeared, a distant wife, and a fragile sister, Jean, damaged by the shared past they’ve endured. And then Ezra’s body is discovered. ( )
  jacki | Jan 7, 2013 |
I've heard it said that jail stinks of despair.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312363753, Mass Market Paperback)

Jackson Workman Pickens--known to most as "Work"--mindlessly holds together his disintegrating life: a failing law practice left to him when his father, Ezra, mysteriously disappeared, a distant wife who shares their loveless marriage, and an estranged sister who bore the brunt of their childhood trauma.

And then Ezra's body is discovered.

Set to inherit his father's fortune, Work becomes a prime suspect.  But so does his sister, Jean.  As much as Work's life was overshadowed by his domineering father, Jean's life was nearly destroyed by him. But does that make her capable of a vicious murder?  Fearing the worst, Work launches his own investigation, crossing paths with a power-hungry detective, a string of damning evidence, and the ugly rumors that swirl within his small, moneyed Southern town.

Desperate for the redemption that has eluded him for so many years and stripped of everything he once valued, he fights to save his sister and clear his name--in this poignant and thrilling anatomy of a murder and its ripple effect within a family and a community.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:59 -0400)

"A year after his mother's death and his father's mysterious disappearance, Jackson Workman Pickens - known to most as "Work" - is still fighting the fallout from his tortured past. His law practice is a shambles, a far cry from the legal empire that his father, Ezra Pickens, left in his care the day he vanished; his socialite wife, Barbara, is content to spend her days at the country club; and both Work and Barbara ignore the passionless nature of their failing marriage. Work's life is almost pleasantly unfulfilling." "The discovery of Ezra's murdered body changes everything." "Values are challenged, assumptions are questioned, and when the police learn of the vast fortune left in Ezra's wake, Work is no longer just a victim, he's a prime suspect - and so is his sister, Jean." "While Work's life has been overshadowed by his powerful, domineering father, Jean's life has been all but destroyed by him. Yet as damaged as she may be, is she capable of patricide? Fearing the worst for Jean, Work launches his own investigation, crossing paths with a power-hungry detective, a string of damning evidence, and the ugly rumors that swirl within his small and moneyed Southern town." "As his sister comes undone, and the evidence against Work mounts, his long-standing emotional dam crumbles, and he must fight from beneath the torrent of secrets, lies, and childhood trauma that threatens to drown him. Desperate for the redemption that has eluded him for so many years and stripped of everything he once valued, he fights to save his sister, clear his name, and regain the love of the woman to whom he gave his heart so many years before."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,841,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible