Pass It on: African-American Poetry for…

Pass It on: African-American Poetry for Children

by Wade Hudson

206None56,721 (4.06)1

I liked the book, "Pass it On" by Wade Hudson and illustrated by Floyd Cooper. One thing that I liked was that the author included an introduction about why poetry is important, especially in African American culture. I think that this introduction helped to highlight the central message of the book, which is that poetry is a great way to talk about African American culture and that it can be used to pass on messages and experiences to African American children. I also liked how the illustrations covered the whole page. By having the illustrations cover the whole page, the illustrations were more eye-catching and helped me as reader connect the poem more to a visual. Also, the author's use of spacing was great in this book. For example, the phrase, "When night comes on gently,
Dark like me-." I like how the author separated the first part of the phrase from the second part of the phrase by having one part of the phrase be on another line of the page. I think that by using this spacing the author emphasized the fact that the speaker was African American, which is an important piece of information to know about the poem. Another thing that I like about this book is that the titles of each poem indirectly relate to the central message of each poem. I think that by having each title indirectly relate to the message of each poem, the reader can get a sense of what they are going to read about before they start reading. ( )
  abreck2 | Oct 15, 2013 |
This book give poetry about African-American Poetry with illustrations to go with each poem. ( )
  sammarocco | Nov 4, 2012 |
This book is a collection of poems by African American authors. The art in this book is very nice and very detailed. I enjoyed looking at the pictures.
"To Catch a Fish" is about a little boy trying to catch a fish. It explains that you must be patient to catch a fish. The little boy just wants to hurry up and catch a fish, but that is simply not the way that things are done in fishing.
"Wait Little Joe" is about a little boy who is small but wants to the things that the big kids are doing. The big kids keep telling him that he is only 4 years old and he needs to be bigger to join in on what they are doing. Poor little Joe does not want to wait.

I did not like all the poems in this book. They did not rhyme and I had a hard time keeping my attention focused on the poems. I had to read each poem at least 2-3 times before I could even understand what I had just read.

Classroom Activity #1: This book would be used during black history month. Each day I would read a new poem to the calss. I would not show them the pictures. I would let them use their imagination and draw their own pictures to interpet the poem.

Classroom Activity #2: The students would be asked to pick their favorite poem from the book and write a paragraph over what made that poem their favorite.
  MaryLCarney | Oct 17, 2012 |
Each poem is for African-American children. The topics of each poem is something that will interest African-American children. ( )
  Gabe77 | Mar 20, 2012 |
Summary:
This book is a collection of poems written by a variety of authors, who focuses on the African American culture. The book consist of storytelling, music, history, and traditions that are passed from one generation to another. One poem titled "I Can" is a poem about a black child, who dreams of becoming the President of the United States one day. The poem encourages not just African Americans but all children to pursue their dreams whelther they are big or small. Another poem titled "Listen Children" encourages African American children not to be ashamed of the color of their skin, no matter how they were or are
treated. Also, it encourages the children to always love one another no matter what.

Personal Reaction:
This is a wonderful book! The book symbolizes the African American culture in a beauiful way. This book makes me think about the past, and how much we have grown in modern society. I am so thankful for those who stood up for our freedom and rights.

Classroom Extension:
1. I would have the class write their own personal "I have a dream" poem.
2. I would have each student draw a picture that relates to their favorite poem from the book. ( )
  shanetia | Oct 22, 2011 |

An illustrated collection of poetry by such Afro-American poets as Langston Hughes, Nikki Giovanni, Eloise Greenfield, and Lucille Clifton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,415,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible