Pass It on: African-American Poetry for…

Pass It on: African-American Poetry for Children

by Wade Hudson

I enjoyed this book a lot because if I did not like one story then chances are that I would like a different one that would to come up in the next few poems. I can see a lot of children really enjoying this book as it tells multiple different stories and can teach a lot about history.
  ninaberger | Nov 11, 2015 |
Jaylen White
October 6, 2015
EDUC 417.001
Pass it on: African American Poetry for Children
I was a little in the middle about this book. There were a couple things I liked but then some others that I did not like. To start with the negative, I did not like that it was a poetry book but none of the poems rhymed, which I understand all poetry doesn’t have to, but for kids and even myself I was expecting it. The other thing is that this is geared towards an older crowd, maybe middle school kids because a lot of the poems involve critical thinking to really find out what it is about and the moral of the poem. The “tales” or poetry was more seen as nighttime tales in my eyes. Most of them were feel good or uplifting tales and riddles that felt as if you would read to your child before bedtime. The positives that I took away from the book, was the way that it was written. They sort of used slang where they talked in an African American slang and would say words like “nothin” or “hangin”, words where you could definitely hear the tone and voice. I also think that this book would be a good one just to keep on hand for your children to have to read a couple nights out of the week because the poems really do tell of lessons and tales that kids can learn from. One that came out of the book was simply accepting yourself for how you are (a common theme amongst kids book). ( )
  JaylenWhite | Oct 5, 2015 |
“Pass It On: African American Poetry for Children”, with poems selected by Wade Hudson, was an excellent book. Not only does it tackle tough issues through intricately-worded poems, it also honors the oral tradition of poetry, which has been passed on by ancestors from Africa. The main message/idea of this book is to keep African American history and traditions alive through poetry. This book includes poems that deal with racism, hopes/dreams, identity, family, and freedom. As a fan of poetry, I think that the poems in this book were perfectly selected and I enjoyed reading all of them. They vary in language—some descriptive, some patterned, and some clear and concise. However, one thing all the poems had in common were believable, and sometimes real-life, characters. More often than not, the characters were young children. I think that this makes the entire book more relatable to the audience. The book was illustrated by Floyd Cooper. I really enjoyed the illustrations and think that they gave life to the poems, without taking away from the poem itself. Throughout the book, my favorite poem was “I Can” by Mari Evans. I liked this poem the most because it instilled a sense of hope and motivation in the reader. It begins with: “I can be anything, I can do anything, I can think anything”. The language used in this poem was, clearly, patterned. The illustration to go with it is a little girl sitting in what look like the Oval Office. I like that this illustration was used because it drives the point of the poem home. ( )
  marmig2 | Apr 8, 2015 |
Pierce College Library
  SWong4512 | May 28, 2014 |
I liked the book, "Pass it On" by Wade Hudson and illustrated by Floyd Cooper. One thing that I liked was that the author included an introduction about why poetry is important, especially in African American culture. I think that this introduction helped to highlight the central message of the book, which is that poetry is a great way to talk about African American culture and that it can be used to pass on messages and experiences to African American children. I also liked how the illustrations covered the whole page. By having the illustrations cover the whole page, the illustrations were more eye-catching and helped me as reader connect the poem more to a visual. Also, the author's use of spacing was great in this book. For example, the phrase, "When night comes on gently,
Dark like me-." I like how the author separated the first part of the phrase from the second part of the phrase by having one part of the phrase be on another line of the page. I think that by using this spacing the author emphasized the fact that the speaker was African American, which is an important piece of information to know about the poem. Another thing that I like about this book is that the titles of each poem indirectly relate to the central message of each poem. I think that by having each title indirectly relate to the message of each poem, the reader can get a sense of what they are going to read about before they start reading. ( )
  abreck2 | Oct 15, 2013 |

An illustrated collection of poetry by such Afro-American poets as Langston Hughes, Nikki Giovanni, Eloise Greenfield, and Lucille Clifton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,961,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible