Sister Wife by Shelley Hrdlitschka

Sister Wife (2008)

by Shelley Hrdlitschka

In a remote polygamist community, fifteen-year-old Celeste struggles to accept her destiny while longing to be free to choose how to live her life.
    The Gift of Sarah Barker by Jane Yolen (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are set in religious communities with different views toward marriage.
    The Patron Saint of Butterflies by Cecilia Galante (meggyweg)
    The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams (meggyweg)

Yes to some this book is a bit on the icky side but someone's life is like this.
Sister wives exist and young girls have been known to be married at a very early age.
That all aside this book is about one young girl who bucks the system in her religious commune, yeah I'm pretty sure that this happens also. It's a story of finding who you are, making your own decisions and taken control of your own life. ( )
  greergreer | Mar 1, 2019 |
This is a fast-paced read that will provide teens an intriguing glimpse of life in a religious, polygamous cult. Celeste's decision to stay with the cult differs from similar YA novels on the same topic ("The Chosen One," "The Patron Saint of Butterflies") yet provides an opportunity for a satisfying ending. Readers also get perspectives from Celeste's more pious sister Nanette, and outsider Taviana serves as our navigator between the two worlds. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Celeste will soon be 15 years old, and is not looking forward to getting married. When a girl turns 15, The Prophet decides which man she will marry, and the girl has no choice in the matter. Her job is to have babies and live for her husband with his many wives. This is the way life has always been for girls, and no one dares to question any of the choices of The Prophet or the men. But, despite herself, Celeste has questions, and impure feelings towards a boy of her age, and Celeste is convinced something is wrong with her. When Nanette, her younger sister, tells her father about Celeste's impure thoughts towards someone who is not of The Prophet's choosing, Celeste's life changes forever. She doesn't have the strength to turn her back on the life she's always known. However, with the passage of time, Celeste comes to realize there is more to life than she had ever thought possible. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
I chose this book solely for the purpose of a history project. We had to choose from a list of books and this one was very interesting. I was surprised at how good the book was. The community was very interesting and I loved how it told the story from three points of view. The only reason I didn't give it five stars was because it had some slow parts. ( )
  Milaxox | Feb 23, 2014 |
I picked up this book at a recent library book sale because I find the whole plural marriage concept to be fascinating. Most adults (and a lot of teens), have heard of the compounds in Utah and Texas, compounds that harbor a secretive community that forces young girls to marry much older men. I wanted to see how an author would take this topic on from a teen's perspective. Hrdlitschka focuses on this emotionally charged topic by focusing on the narratives of three teenage girls. Their stories are intertwined and each girl alternates telling their own story.

Read more of my review at www.Bourgette.com ( )
  Bourgette | May 5, 2013 |
For Sue, my true-blue friend, with love and appreciation
I am consumed with impure thoughts.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Shelley Hrdlitschka's book Sister Wife was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,909,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible