Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa…

Autobiography of a Yogi

by Paramahansa Yogananda

English (33)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (35)
The book that Steve Jobs gave to all Apple employees and all of his friends - and re-read annually. I loved it. ( )
  emariepope | Sep 3, 2017 |
Read this book about 4 times I think.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |
Read this book about 4 times I think.
  kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |
In my reading experiences, this is the ultimate Spiritual Travelogue: Childhood in India, Kite cutting and Saint spotting in the crowded streets, America in the 1920s, Saintly abodes of Europe, and the Astral Universe. And if you can believe what you are reading is, at least, possible, your life will be profoundly chaned, as was mine. ( )
  Gerald_Flack | Nov 11, 2015 |
First, I´ll admit that I didn´t manage to read this 2-volume book to the end. And life is too short to complete long books that one finds boring.

While I have full respect for Yogananda, I just didn´t find this book interesting, though it was extremely well-written (at least in Danish translation). The author tells us at length of his encounters with various yogis in his youth, who were highly developed, and could bi-locate (be in two places at once), etc etc, and of various other experiences. He also pontificates about India´s scientific prowess.

At the back of each volume there are interesting photos of the author and his family, and various gurus of his acquaintance, including his own guru, Sri Yukteswar, etc,

If you are extremely interested in yogis, India, or want to know all details of Yogananda´s life, you may find this book fascinating. Otherwise, you may find it as boring as I did. I cannot really recommend it, though I cannot exclude the possibility that parts of the book I didn´t get round to contain fascinating bits of information. ( )
  IonaS | May 6, 2015 |
"Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe." - John 4:48
Dedicated to the Memory of LUTHER BURBANK "An American Saint"
The characteristic features of Indian culture have long been a search for ultimate verities and the concomitant disciple-guru relationship.
Do not imagine rice sustains you nor that men or money support you. Could they aid if the Lord withdraws your life breath? Page 104
Dit is het levensverhaal van Paramahansa Yogananda, die op 5januari 1893 als Mukunda Lal Ghosh ter wereld kwam, Hij geldt als een der grootste wijzen die India heeft voortgebracht. 'Dit document over zijn ongewone leven is zeker een van de onthullendste, in het Westen gepubliceerde geschriften over de diepten van het hindoese denken en voelen en de geestelijke rijkdom van India', aldus W. Y. Evans-Wentz in diens voorwoord. De schrijver verhaalt ons zijn jeugd, zijn toetreding tot de Swami-Orde en de lange moeizame weg die hij moest gaan en succesvol aflegde naar zijn Hogere Bewustzijn. Hij promoveert aan de universiteit van Calcutta, gaat leiding ontvangen van Sri Yoekteswar en heeft ontmoetingen met groten als Gandhi, Tagore en Bose. Deze en veel andere boeiende en levensverdiepende gebeurtenissen en ervaringen worden door hem helder beschreven. Even duidelijk is Yogananda (= 'zaligheid door goddelijke vereniging') in zijn uitleg van de subtiele, maar scherp omlijnde wetten waardoor de yogi's zelfbeheersing bereiken en wonderen volbrengen, En uiteraard lezen we hoe hij twee niet-sektarische, onbaatzuchtige instellingen sticht: de Yogoda Sat-Sanga Society (India) en de Self Realization Fellowship (Los Angeles).

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0876120834, Paperback)

Autobiography of a Yogi is at once a beautifully written account of an exceptional life and a profound introduction to the ancient science of Yoga and its time-honored tradition of meditation. This acclaimed autobiography presents a fascinating portrait of one of the great spiritual figures of our time. The quality paperback edition offered here includes a bonus CD, The Voice of Paramahansa Yogananda, featuring excerpts from the Self-Realization Fellowship Collector's Series of rare recorded talks by Paramahansa Yogananda, and includes 80 quality archival photographs.
With engaging candor, eloquence, and wit, Paramahansa Yogananda tells the inspiring chronicle of his life: the experiences of his remarkable childhood, encounter with many saints and sages during his youthful search throughout India for an illumined teacher, ten years of training in the hermitage of a revered yoga master, and the thirty years that he lived and taught in America. Also recorded here are his meetings with Mahatma Gandhi, Rabindranath Tagore, Luther Burbank, the Catholic stigmatist Therese Neumann, and other celebrated spiritual personalities of East and West. The author clearly explains the subtle but definite laws behind both the ordinary events of everyday life and the extraordinary events commonly termed miracles. His absorbing life story becomes the background for a penetrating and unforgettable look at the ultimate mysteries of human existence. Selected as One of the 100 Best Spiritual Books of the Twentieth Century, Autobiography of a Yogi has been translated into 20 languages, and is regarded worldwide as a classic of religious literature. Several million copies have been sold, and it continues to appear on best-seller lists after more than sixty consecutive years in print. Profoundly inspiring, it is at the same time vastly entertaining, warmly humorous and filled with extraordinary personages. Self-Realization Fellowship's editions, and none others, include extensive material added by the author after the first edition was published, including a final chapter on the closing years of his life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:04 -0400)

Paramhansa Yogananda was the first great master of India to live in the West for an extended period. Sent to America in 1920, he introduced tens of thousands of Americans to yoga. This is his autobiography.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,523,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible