Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism by…

Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism (1973)

by Chogyam Trungpa

Recently added bymkayc7, DouglasDuff, MetsalWangmo, MiaMBT, jeeves1215, fcjdf
Legacy LibrariesWalker Percy

English (5)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (7)
In this modern spiritual classic, the Tibetan meditation master Chögyam Trungpa highlights the commonest pitfall to which every aspirant on the spiritual path falls prey: what he calls spiritual materialism. The universal tendency, he shows, is to see spirituality as a process of self-improvement—the impulse to develop and refine the ego when the ego is, by nature, essentially empty. "The problem is that ego can convert anything to its own use," he said, "even spirituality." His incisive, compassionate teachings serve to wake us up from this trick we all play on ourselves, and to offer us a far brighter reality: the true and joyous liberation that inevitably involves letting go of the self rather than working to improve it. It is a message that has resonated with students for nearly thirty years, and remains fresh as ever today.
  PSZC | Mar 27, 2019 |
An excellent introduction Trungpa's world view ( )
  jammilram | Oct 19, 2010 |
Worth it for just about anyone into spirituality. Highlights the almost inevitable pitfalls that one encounters. ( )
  anandrajan | Jul 13, 2007 |
This is the second book on Buddhism I ever read, and when I started reading it, I was an evangelical Christian. (Now I am something that defies a label!)

Trungpa tries to take us to another place when it comes to spirituality. Unlike most Christian books I was reading at the time, which were mostly on how to LOOK spiritual, Trungpa was actually talking about being spiritual by abandoning the notion of spirituality.

Needless to say I did not get it back when I was a confused college student, or even later when I was trying to make my way in the world. I am not sure I get it today, but i know it is worth reading and rereading. ( )
3 vote Arctic-Stranger | Apr 12, 2007 |
Read this book and get honest. Absolute necessity.
  Jaya_Kula_Books | Jul 12, 2006 |
To Chokyi-lodro the Marpa Father of the Kagyu Lineage
We have come here to learn about spirituality.

The now classic Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism is the record of two series of lectures given by Trungpa Rinpoche in 1970-71. "First discussed are the various ways in which people involve themselves in spiritual materialism, the many forms of self-deception into which aspirants may fall. After this tour of the sidetracks along the way, the broad outlines of the true spiritual path are discussed. The approach presented is a classical Buddhist one—not in a formal sense, but in the sense of presenting the heart of the Buddhist approach to spirituality. Although the Buddhist way is not theistic, it does not contradict the theistic disciplines. Rather the differences between the ways are a matter of emphasis and method. The basic problems of spiritual materialism are common to all spiritual disciplines."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

Examines the self-deceptions, distortions, and sidetracks that imperil the spiritual journey as well as awareness and fearlessness of the true path.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,450,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible