Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism by…

Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism (1973)

by Chogyam Trungpa

Recently added bymomnrod, private library, Sarahliz2182, GoldenBuddhaCentre, PIMClibrarian, kkovelant, GGH, LB_Meditation
Legacy LibrariesWalker Percy

English (5)  French (1)  All (6)
An excellent introduction Trungpa's world view ( )
  jammilram | Oct 19, 2010 |
Worth it for just about anyone into spirituality. Highlights the almost inevitable pitfalls that one encounters. ( )
  anandrajan | Jul 13, 2007 |
This is the second book on Buddhism I ever read, and when I started reading it, I was an evangelical Christian. (Now I am something that defies a label!)

Trungpa tries to take us to another place when it comes to spirituality. Unlike most Christian books I was reading at the time, which were mostly on how to LOOK spiritual, Trungpa was actually talking about being spiritual by abandoning the notion of spirituality.

Needless to say I did not get it back when I was a confused college student, or even later when I was trying to make my way in the world. I am not sure I get it today, but i know it is worth reading and rereading. ( )
2 vote Arctic-Stranger | Apr 12, 2007 |
A collection of talks by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche after giving up his robes and moving to the west. He was a Vajrayana master that completely immersed himself in the western way of life, in order to transmit the living dharma to his western students. Covers topics of meditation, money and alcohol plus more. JB
  jeeelb | Feb 4, 2007 |
Read this book and get honest. Absolute necessity.
  Jaya_Kula_Books | Jul 12, 2006 |
To Chokyi-lodro the Marpa Father of the Kagyu Lineage
We have come here to learn about spirituality.

The now classic Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism is the record of two series of lectures given by Trungpa Rinpoche in 1970-71. "First discussed are the various ways in which people involve themselves in spiritual materialism, the many forms of self-deception into which aspirants may fall. After this tour of the sidetracks along the way, the broad outlines of the true spiritual path are discussed. The approach presented is a classical Buddhist one—not in a formal sense, but in the sense of presenting the heart of the Buddhist approach to spirituality. Although the Buddhist way is not theistic, it does not contradict the theistic disciplines. Rather the differences between the ways are a matter of emphasis and method. The basic problems of spiritual materialism are common to all spiritual disciplines."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,040,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible