Junie B. Jones Is Captain Field Day by…

Junie B. Jones Is Captain Field Day

by Barbara Park

Other authors: Denise Brunkus (Illustrator)

Series: Junie B. Jones (16)

Summary:
Junie b jones is in pure excitement because it is finally field day at school. Once she gets to school her teacher says they must pick a captain field day. She gets to pick a paper out of a basket, and whoever s paper says captain gets to be captain. Junie got the captain paper, and was so excited but she was upset that nobody else was excited with her. Mrs told her that her job was to unite her classmates, not boss them. Mrs made Junie a cap out of a towel so she felt really special. Junie lost her shoe during the race, causing her class to loose. She was upset until Mrs told her that its not about winning. They also lost the softball throw, the skip race, and the tug of war. William, the little boy who wasn't good at any of the other activities won the pull up challenge for the team, and everybody called him a hero. They went back to the classroom and celebrated. The student realized their teacher was right, you cant give up.
Personal reaction:
This left a really good lesson.This teaches children to never give up. Sometimes we needed to be reminded of that at every age.
Classroom Extensions:
1. Have the children make caps.
2. Have the children race, and remind them winning doesn't matter.
  am925642 | Jul 15, 2015 |
Junie B's kindergarten class was having field day and it was all that she could think about. This was a day where Room 8 and Room 9 could go and compete in different events. At the beginning of the day Junie B's teacher, Mrs, said that the class needed a team captain. She had all of the students draw a sheet of paper an Junie B drew the paper that said "captain" on it. When she saw this she automatically thought that made her the boss. Mrs had to clarify and explain that team captain was someone that unified the class. Junie B struggled with this task in the first few activities. But in the last challenge she brought her class together to cheer for the weak classmate. She even gave her "captain cape" to the kid that won the competition which was, "that being nice of me" -Junie B
Genre: this book is realistic fiction because this is something that could very easily happen in real life. The way that all of the students responded to each thing that happened in the book is something that would happen in an actual kindergarten classroom. ( )
  amassingale | Feb 24, 2015 |
I liked this book for two reasons. One reason I liked this book was for the characters. I personally love Junie B. Jones. I think that she is a very relatable character and her fun, quirky personality brings so much more to the overall story. For example, I couldn't help but laugh when the girl on the opposite team kept trying to shake Junie B.'s hand and her response was "Don't touch the merchandise." Another reason I liked this book was for the plot. I think that the plot of this book had a good pace and it was engaging. The way that the story is set up makes it a fun read, especially for children in K-2nd grade, because it wasn't too suspenseful where a child may no longer enjoy reading it. Overall, I think that the message of this book was the idea of sportsmanship and how winning isn't everything. ( )
  akwon3 | Oct 1, 2014 |
This time around Junie B Jones is selected as team captain for her room to go up against the rival room eight. They have to learn to support each other and to understand that winning isn't everything since they lose almost every event. But along with this Junie B must overcome tooting her own her and appreciating what others can do to support the team. ( )
  capiam1234 | May 17, 2014 |
I read this book for my series study. I thought it was a fun book that children around the ages of 5-9 would enjoy. Through the story it talked about her day as captain field day. It also showed how you need to be a good sport when being competitive with others. It also at the end showed that you never want to give up and to always give it your all and best. This could be used for a lesson if the classroom made their own field day and wrote about similarities and differences that took place in theirs and in the story.
  ladiponi | Dec 10, 2013 |

Barbara Parkprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brunkus, DeniseIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375802916, Paperback)

Junie B. Jones's kindergarten teacher has some strange ideas about field day: "Field Day is a day to run around in the fresh air and enjoy the sunshine. We came out here to have fun and get some exercise. And we're not going to care one little bit about who wins or who loses." Only what's so fun about losing? That's what Junie B. wants to know. In the great contest between room 8 and room 9, somehow, room 8 keeps winning all the events. As Captain Field Day of room 9, Junie B. is feeling her superpowers--and her good sportsmanship--slipping away. Can anyone save the day?

For beginning chapter-book readers, Junie B. Jones always saves the day. As in Junie B. Jones Has a Peep in Her Pocket, Junie B. Jones and Some Sneaky Peeky Spying, and the many other titles in Barbara Park's series, Junie B.'s inimitable style wins her friends and fans everywhere. Denise Brunkus's comical, expressive drawings capture all the joys and foibles of kindergarten life. With occasional "big" words (like slumped, sarcastic, and apparently) and Junie B.'s grammatical curiosities, this witty book works best as a classroom read-aloud. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:32 -0400)

As captain of Room Nine's field day team, Junie B. Jones tries to rally her troops after they lose several events.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,416,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible