Junie B. Jones Is Captain Field Day by…

Junie B. Jones Is Captain Field Day

by Barbara Park

Other authors: Denise Brunkus (Illustrator)

Series: Junie B. Jones (16)

I like this book, I really like the entire Junie B. series. These books do have the improper grammar issue, which is important to consider when using it as reading material for emerging readers. Because readers make writers, they may see these grammar mistakes and think they are correct. As long as students are mature enough, they too can enjoy Junie B.! Field day is a day all grade school students look forward too. The competition and classroom rivalry that is intertwined throughout the plot is relatable for students and enjoyable since this is a day they all look forward too. Junie B. is a bit bossy and tries to take charge or everybody, however through her shenanigans she learns that teamwork is the best strategy. This is a good lesson for kids to learn as early as possible in their lives. ( )
  Kacie11 | Dec 1, 2016 |
There are several reasons that I loved this Junie B. Jones book. The first reason is because of the engaging and clever writing used throughout. Park's writing is able to make the reader feel as if the character really exists, her writing sounds just as a kindergartner would. "And wait till you hear this! I didn't even have to look up her number in the phone book! 'Cause I finally got it memorized right in my head! Its name is 555-5555. And that was a hard number to remember, I tell you. 'Cause I kept forgetting the five." I found this line very funny because of the irony within it. The second reason that I loved this book was because of the plot. Junie B. was named captain field day, but her team kept losing in every event. Right when everyone had given up hope, the unexpected "Crybaby William" saved the day in the pull up event. "Then, all of a sudden, William kicked his legs a little bit. Then he kicked them again. And wowie wow wow! His chin went right up to the bar!" The plot of the book really helped to teach readers never to give up, which is great! The last reason I loved this book was due to the point of view. The first person point of view made the book that much funnier, and helped to create that comedic writing style. "The first day she came to our school, my boyfriend named Ricardo chased her all over the playground. I hollered and hollered for him to stop. But he said chasing New Thelma was fun. And so that is how come he dumped me. Dumped is the grown-up word for when you have to find a new Ricardo." From this point of view you can really hear Junie B. speaking to you as the reader. Overall, I feel that the 'big idea' of this book is to teach the readers to never lose hope or give up, and to never misjudge anyone because that person could surprise you. ( )
  madigischel | Nov 23, 2016 |
I always enjoy Junie B. Jones books because I feel like they really depict how our elementary school students think, act, and even talk. Students get so giggly when reading these books and they really enjoy them. I think these books are great for fun reading in the classroom
  makensiecowart | Oct 17, 2016 |
I thought this was a great book. Junie B. Jones is very excited because it is Field Day at her school and she is her class' team captain. Junie B. gets very discouraged though because her opponents keep winning all of the events. However, when it is time for the pull up competition, her classamate, William, who has been scared to do all of the other events volunteers to compete and wins. This make Junie B. and the rest of her class very excited. It also makes her class realize that you don't need to win to have fun. I really liked this book because the language the author used was perfect for her 1st-2nd grade audience. The morning of field day when Junie B. is screaming and running around her house and her mom asks what has gotten into her Junie B. replies, "Field Day has gotten into me, Mother. How could you even forget this important occasion? I have been talking about it all week, remember? Field Day is when Room Nine goes again Room Eight. And we have different races and stuff." When reading that dialogue, it sounded exactly like something a child her age would actually say. The author also does a really good job of explaining words or concepts that the readers may not know. When Junie B. talks about her ex-boyfriend, Ricardo, and how he dumped her, she says, "Dumped is the grown-up word for when you have to find a new Ricardo." I think the big idea in this book is to not get too upset if you lose something. Instead, just focus on having fun and enjoying yourself. ( )
  ejones35 | Oct 2, 2016 |
Throughout this chapter book Junie B. Jones's grade is part of field day at school. She begs to be captain and receives the title but she has no idea what is in store for her as captain. She thinks that she will be in charge of everyone and with her as captain nothing will go wrong. Until room eight shows up and they start to win everything. Junie B. Jones is suddenly blamed for all of the lost games. She doesnt see how that works. So finally she lets someone else take charge and backs down. She helps the team work together. They win. The point of the story is that we cannot always be the best or in charge, sometimes we have to let someone else have the spot light and they may surprise us. This book would be great when you as a teacher are having students who struggle with competition or always having to be the one to do something. Have students make lists of what they are good at, what they could improve on. Also encourage them to invite other kids to try the activities they might always want to do. ( )
  mholtan | Oct 12, 2015 |

Barbara Parkprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brunkus, DeniseIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375802916, Paperback)

Junie B. Jones's kindergarten teacher has some strange ideas about field day: "Field Day is a day to run around in the fresh air and enjoy the sunshine. We came out here to have fun and get some exercise. And we're not going to care one little bit about who wins or who loses." Only what's so fun about losing? That's what Junie B. wants to know. In the great contest between room 8 and room 9, somehow, room 8 keeps winning all the events. As Captain Field Day of room 9, Junie B. is feeling her superpowers--and her good sportsmanship--slipping away. Can anyone save the day?

For beginning chapter-book readers, Junie B. Jones always saves the day. As in Junie B. Jones Has a Peep in Her Pocket, Junie B. Jones and Some Sneaky Peeky Spying, and the many other titles in Barbara Park's series, Junie B.'s inimitable style wins her friends and fans everywhere. Denise Brunkus's comical, expressive drawings capture all the joys and foibles of kindergarten life. With occasional "big" words (like slumped, sarcastic, and apparently) and Junie B.'s grammatical curiosities, this witty book works best as a classroom read-aloud. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:32 -0400)

As captain of Room Nine's field day team, Junie B. Jones tries to rally her troops after they lose several events.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,728,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible