Having Our Say: The Delany Sisters' First…

Having Our Say: The Delany Sisters' First 100 Years (1993)

by Sarah L. Delany, A. Elizabeth Delany

Other authors: Amy Hill Hearth

1,1201610,628 (4.06)21

English (15)  German (1)  All languages (16)
Very good memoirs about what is was liked being colored in the 1900's through today ( )
  nancynova | Sep 12, 2015 |
Read this sometime before starting LT, and enjoyed it tremendously. Very informative and entertaining. ( )
  librisissimo | Apr 14, 2015 |
Great Book! I read this book as a child and it was very interesting.
  Toneicya | Feb 23, 2015 |
It bugs me that I can't remember exactly when I read this book. I think sometime during high school? It made the rounds in my family. Everyone enjoyed it. ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
I now see why so many people liked it. For me it was just an okay book. Some interesting parts. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |

Sarah L. Delanyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Delany, A. Elizabethmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hearth, Amy Hillsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Henry Beard Delany (1858-1928)
and Nanny Logan Delany (1861-1956)
and to
Blair A. T. Hearth
Both more than one hundred years old, Sarah ("Sadie") Delany and her sister, Annie Elizabeth ("Bessie") Delany are among the oldest living witnesses to American history.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440220424, Mass Market Paperback)

"I never thought I'd see the day that the world would want to hear what two old Negro women have to say," says Bessie Delany. But Bessie and her sister, Sadie, born in 1893 and 1891, saw plenty, by eating a low-fat, high-vegetable diet and outliving the "old Rebby [rebel] boys" who once almost lynched Sadie. This remarkable memoir was a long-running bestseller, spawning a Broadway play and adding to their list of seasoned acquaintances (Marian Anderson, Langston Hughes, Paul Robeson, Cab Calloway) such spring chickens as Hillary Clinton. Born to a former slave whose owners broke the law by teaching him to read, the sisters got a solid education. North Carolina was paradise--despite the Rebbies--until Jim Crow reared its hideous head. The girls had loved to ride in the front of the trolley because the wind in their hair made them feel free, but one day the conductor sadly ordered them to the back. The family moved to New York, where Bessie became the town's second black woman dentist and Sadie the first black woman home-ec teacher. They befriended everyone who was anyone in the Harlem Renaissance (their brother won the 1925 Congressional primary there), pursued careers instead of husbands, and lived peacefully together, despite their differences. Sadie was more peaceable, like Booker T. Washington, while Bessie was a W.E.B. Du Bois-style militant.

They're funny: Bessie notes that blacks must be sharp to get ahead, "But if you're average and white, honey, you can go far. Just look at Dan Quayle. If that boy was colored he'd be washing dishes somewhere." And they are wise: Sadie says, "Life is short, and it's up to you to make it sweet."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

Two sisters recall their lives together, discussing their success as African-American professional women during the Harlem golden age

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,947,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible