The Chocolate Bridal Bash by JoAnna Carl

The Chocolate Bridal Bash (2006)

by JoAnna Carl

I've read one other book from this series. I didn't find the chocolate facts/trivia in this one as interesting as the ones in the other book that I read.

I wondered long before anyone in the book brought it up why Lee didn't just ask her mother what happened rather than going about it so covertly (a big plot hole for me), but otherwise, I thought the plot was well done.

I am going to give this copy to the friend who loaned me the other book from the series that I read. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
Like the earlier books, this one is markedly different from its siblings. It boasts the strongest start in the writing. Sadly the motives of the villains in the end were not logical. It wasn't possible that the intrigue would play out like it did. Stranger things have happened in real life. But here I believe what Joanna Carl (only now have I realized it's a pseudonym) has concocted is stranger than truth. The murders in this book had weird and nonsensical motives. I simply cannot wrap my head round it. The Sally character is the catalyst in this story, and even her importance makes no sense. I did enjoy the sad, turbulent past of Sally and the tragedy of Bill. Joanna Carl has kept adding newer characters to the series without blinking. I hope she manages to pull of this trick in her next books. Given what this book was, it made for an enjoyable read. I recommend it to both fans of the genre and the uninitiated. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jun 22, 2013 |
The chocolate mysteries are always a fun, light, quick read (this one was just over 200 pages). I like that Lee is generally a smart, independent, heroine. Of course there have been times I shake my head at some of the decisions she makes, but in this one I understood her motivation. I like that we got to know her family a bit better in this one (in the form of her mother). And I like that the story progresses. They don’t necessarily pick up right when the last ends, but there is definitely continuity, and a smooth flow. I was hoping for a bit more of the wedding, like maybe a book to itself, with a mystery around it, but maybe that would have been too obvious. I did like the ‘surprise ending’, and am interested to see where they take it in the next book (luckily, I shouldn’t have to wait TOO long, as I have that one my shelf). I think I had actually figured out the “who” of the who- done- it pretty early in this one, but it was an enjoyable read anyway. Will I read the next one? Oh yeah. I’m seeing this series through to the end. =D ( )
  krissa | Jun 30, 2009 |
This book held my interest. I find the malaproisms a bit distracting and annoying, but the characters are ok. I love all the chocolate talk! ( )
  mcelhonec | Dec 3, 2008 |
So so. ( )
  brsquilt | Aug 31, 2008 |
For Mary Jo Dilks. Best friends forever.
After I overcame all my misgivings and invited my mother to my wedding, it was a little disappointing to learn that she didn't want to come.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045121918X, Mass Market Paperback)

Caught up in a whirl of champagne and china patterns, bride-to-be Lee McKinney has butted heads with her future mother-in-law over every detail of the wedding bash. The last thing she needs is trouble with her own mother. But this is bigger than the hot versus cold hors d’oeuvres debate: Sally McKinney doesn’t even want to be at the wedding if it takes place in Warner Pier, her hometown.

Irked that her mom might be MIA on the Big Day, Lee heads to her aunt’s chocolate shop, TenHuis Chocolade, for advice. There, the bride is shocked to learn that years earlier, her mother ran away on what would have been her own wedding day—hours before her fiancé was found dead, an apparent suicide. Now, to smooth things over with her mother—and ease her own way down the aisle—Lee must untangle a mystery older than she is....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:59 -0400)

Determined to smooth things over with her mother before her impending nuptials, after her aunt reveals a startling secret, bride-to-be Lee McKinney vows to solve the decades-old mystery surrounding the apparent suicide of her mothers fiance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,189,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible