The Warlord Wants Forever

by Kresley Cole

Series: Immortals After Dark (0.5)

The Warlord Wants Forever...the sensually charged novella that started it all, now with an exclusive excerpt from MacRieve! In this scorching series opener, #1 New York Times bestseller Kresley Cole introduces the captivating Immortals After Dark Series. The ebook also includes an exclusive extended excerpt from MacRieve, the highly anticipated next installment in the series. The Warlord Nikolai Wroth, a ruthless vampire general, will stop at nothing to find his Bride, the one woman who can "blood" him, making his heart beat and filling him with strength. Coldly interested only in the power his Bride will bring, he can hardly believe when Myst the Coveted awakens him body--and soul. The Seductress Famed throughout the world as the most beautiful Valkyrie, Myst has devoted her life to protecting a magical jewel and to fighting the vampires.Wroth provides her with the perfect opportunity to torment her sworn enemy--for with his new heartbeat comes a consuming sexual desire that can only be slaked by her. Denying him, she flees, struggling to forget his searing, possessive kiss. The Hunt is on... She eludes him for five years, but he has finally chased her to ground and stolen her enchanted jewel, giving him absolute power over her. Now that she's his for the taking, he intends to make her experience first-hand the agonizing, unending lust she subjected him to for half a decade. Yet when Nikolai realizes he wants far more than vengeance from Myst and frees her, will she come back to him?… (more)

Bit disappointed but still a good novella.

Considering the hype and number of 5star reviews online, I felt a bit let down.

This is a fifteen chapter novella but I found it was only towards the final few chapters that I enjoyed the tale and liked our main male character, Nikolai. Of course, I loved the strength, loyalty and complexities of our main female character, Myst.

So what was it that I didn't like? Well, there were many situations within this novella that made me feel uncomfortable; all of which as a result of Nikolai's thoughts and actions. He was as far from a hero in my books as he could get through most of this novella.

The Kindle edition doesn't have page numbers but the story concludes at 70% the rest of the novella being a preview (first 5 chapters) of "Lothaire" the 12th hook in this popular series.

I might read the next book as I did enjoy the Lothaire preview but maybe not straight away. ( )
  -Flora- | Nov 8, 2020 |
Overall, this is a pretty good introduction to the series, but honest communication would have solved most of Myst and Nikolai's problems. I found the world to be a bit confusing at times. It reads more like a medieval setting, but occasionally there's a modern element that throws the rhythm off. I'm hoping that it reads more smoothly in the subsequent books. ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
Okay this is my 3rd book I have read by Kresley and oh dear lord did it plummet in all ways.
This book hangs on grey areas so close to an almost rapeish scene that I just could not. The amount of effort that was written into creating Nikolai into being such a controlling and demanding jackass was not what I was expecting. It’s one thing to be a strong forthcoming man, it’s another being a man who finds a way to have complete and utter control over someone with an object that they have no chance in hell to combat you. The whole chain of control thing was so bad.

The only thing that was good about this book, was when you got to finally see Myst’s memories and those were heartbreaking. And Murdoch telling Nikolai to get his head out of his ass and realize what he was doing was absolutely wrong. Thank god the book has one man with a sensible head (but I’m not holding my breath for the hopes that it continues in his own book)

Im ultimately angry that he still managed to get the girl in the end after the way he treated her, like she was written to just dust it all under the rug like it never happened.

With only having read 3 of her books so far this is my least liked one, and it’s only a freaking Novella. ( )
  SweetKokoro | Jul 30, 2020 |
I don't even know how to rate this.

On the one hand, I liked part of it. I enjoyed them coming from two different worlds and trying to come together. Parts of were incredibly cute.

But I loathed most of it.

-Vampires in this world find their one true mate, and then only that one true mate can slake their lust for them. Leaving the Vampire in the story with a five year erection because the Valkyrie wanted to make him suffer
-Neither of these two fuckheads ever communicate with each other.
-The Vampire is old and has old school beliefs. Namely that the Valkyrie belongs to him now and she no longer needs her own life because he can protect her and care for her now. She doesn't agree with this.
-The Valkyrie is even older, and her kind absolutely hate Vampires. She constantly is tricking him because instead of talking with him about his stupid ass beliefs (see above), she wants to be sneaky about things and get away.
-There is basically a fucking selkie skin in this. The Valkyrie has a chain connected to her that she can't remove, and the Vampire somehow got ahold of. And it controls her. He can order her to do anything. So he does. Except he promises to never rape her. He will only touch her if she asks.
...And then immediately orders her to orgasm like 20 times in a row.
-Oh yeah. And he does rape her. The first time they had PIV sex (because there were.. a lot of sexual shit that went on before this), he takes her without asking and "can't stop". But it's okay because the Valkyrie has always been looking for the man strong enough to take her before
Myst had a primal need deep inside her: to be dominated by a powerful male. Yet she’d never been defeated in a contest of two—no male had ever been strong enough.
Wroth was more powerful than any before.
Her mind rebelled. He was a vampire! She’d killed the last three she’d blooded. Why not Wroth? He’d planned to torture her in that horrid dungeon, planned to control her with the chain.
But his bite . . . She moaned, her aching sex getting wetter and wetter. She needed his shaft to fill it.
Please be strong enough. Please . . . For once in her life, would a man take control?
So she could finally lose it.
-And compared to that this is minor: these two characters are idiots and make stupid decisions.

Honestly, this couple just.. doesn't work. They each go back and forth about even liking each other, despite the instant bond they have. The Valkyrie..frankly sucks. And the Vampire does too. But more than that he's an asshole that needs some serious work. And the ending where they get together just feels like it is out of absolutely nowhere, despite knowing that we were working up to this before.

The world is interesting but we see basically none of it because the Vampire has the Valkyrie locked up in his castle most of the book. The story is barely there, and when it does come out it is illogical at best.

Only reason I'm giving this series another chance is because I really, really want a goddamn PNR series to read, and finding a good, not problematic PNR series is a fucking nightmare. And this book was, as far as I can find out without reading more, halfway to being a prequel novella.

Honestly, I had more to say while I was reading this, but my thoughts about this are about as coherent as the book itself, and I don't want to decode it anymore.
  keikii | Jan 23, 2020 |
This was great! Nice to know where it all started...lol ( )
  RobinCripps | Jul 12, 2019 |

The Warlord Wants Forever…the sensually charged novella that started it all!In this scorching series opener, #1 New York Times bestseller Kresley Cole introduces the captivating Immortals After Dark Series. The eBook also includes an exclusive extended excerpt from Lothaire, the highly anticipated next installment in the series.The WarlordNikolai Wroth, a ruthless vampire general, will stop at nothing to find his Bride, the one woman who can “blood” him, making his heart beat and filling him with strength. Coldly interested only in the power his Bride will bring, he can hardly believe when Myst the Coveted awakens him body—and soul.The SeductressFamed throughout the world as the most beautiful Valkyrie, Myst has devoted her life to protecting a magical jewel and to fighting the vampires.Wroth provides her with the perfect opportunity to torment her sworn enemy—for with his new heartbeat comes a consuming sexual desire that can only be slaked by her. Denying him, she flees, struggling to forget his searing, possessive kiss.The Hunt is on…She eludes him for five years, but he has finally chased her to ground and stolen her enchanted jewel, giving him absolute power over her. Now that she’s his for the taking, he intends to make her experience first-hand the agonizing, unending lust she subjected him to for half a decade.Yet when Nikolai realizes he wants far more than vengeance from Myst and frees her, will she come back to him?

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,214,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible