Long Lost by Harlan Coben

Long Lost (2009)

by Harlan Coben

Recently added byprivate library, chiarain, areni55, rena75, rainer71, gillesbelanger2000, 33racoonie, LordLoki

English (46)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (50)
A blistering new Myron Bolitar thriller from the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Hold Tight.Harlan Coben’s millions of fans have waited three long years for a new Myron Bolitar novel—taking Coben’s last stand-alone, Hold Tight, to #1 on the New York Times list in the interim—and next year their patience will be rewarded in spectacular fashion. Myron hasn’t heard from Terese Collins in years. Not since their affair ended with no explanation.... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 26, 2015 |
Terese Collins was very secretive. She wanted Myron to come to Paris where she was staying, but she didn’t want to tell him why. Myron had an affair of convenience with Terese nearly ten years before. Now he’s committed to Ali. But, that’s about to change. Ali decides to end it with Myron. She’s going to go back to her home town. So the option of going to reacquaint himself with Terese is wide open. But, Terese has stumbled upon something extremely dangerous and she pulls Myron into it. A secret she had been holding back from Myron now comes to the surface. She was responsible for an accident ten years earlier that ended her seven year old daughter’s life. Terese had been injured and was in a coma for a couple of weeks after the accident. Before he was killed, her ex-husband led her to question the accident. Could it be possible that her daughter was still alive?

This ninth Myron Bolitar novel is very fast paced and includes many wonderful twists and turns for the reader. I may have mentioned in previous reviews of Harlan Coben books that he is my favorite author. However, I honestly don’t feel that this was one of his better novels. I’m not sure the international aspect worked in a Myron Bolitar novel and Myron seems to have been given super human strength. Also Win’s ramblings of Mee, his personal flight attendant, appeared more like comments you’d expect to hear from high school jocks. I like how all of the characters we’ve come to love are still accounted for. Myron’s parents are aging and he continues to worry about them – an emotion most of us are very familiar with. There is only one novel left in the series, Live Wire. I have to say I’m not looking forward to the end. But at this time, I don’t foresee another Myron Bolitar novel. A new series develops after Live Wire which is that of Myron’s high school nephew, Mickey Bolitar. That series is geared for young adults. I rated Long Lost at 3.5 out of 5. ( )
  FictionZeal | Jan 7, 2015 |
I've been trying to dip into a few different authors recently and for a while I'd been thinking about reading something by Harlan Coben, so this is the first one of his books that I've read. I chose this book at random from all of his work on offer, and I don't know if the love interest in the story had appeared in a previous novel, but right from the first time she's mentioned I got the deep impression that this was a genuine old flame catching up. It felt as if they'd met before, and that gave the story a foothold in reality.

From there on the story has elements where one needs to suspend disbelief, accept that it's a thriller, and that the hero and his best friend are only a spit short of being super heros, even though they bleed and are affected by the horrors they encounter.

The plot reached a certain point where the mystery of what is going on was easily guessed at, but the fast pace kept me reading on, so that I could check I was correct. There are sprinkles of humour, some fanastic descriptions of Paris, but on occasion the author had me confused about where the hero was in relation to simple things like a road or building. On the other hand there's a superbly crafted shoot out, in which I knew precisely where each character was positioned. That scene is pithily written and had me right in the middle of the action.

It's a quick read, with some interesting characters, and well worth picking up if you're on a long journey and looking for some quick fix entertainment.
  ToniAllenAuthor | Oct 30, 2014 |
This is a Myron Bolitar novel

He gets a call from an old past love she is in Paris. Myron goes and sees her.
People turn up dead The story the moves to London a few twists and turns then the story goes back to the States.

There is an evil islamic plot they have got alot of white youths brainwashed and ready to carry out bombing.

To be honest this book was a bit silly and some of the characters were so unbelievable.
I usually like Myron Bolitar storys but this was daft. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Sep 28, 2014 |
Very good book. I like this very much. ( )
  Sonkku | Dec 20, 2013 |
A significantly more credible effort [than other summer books, it] features the diabolic interplay of cord blood and Islamic jihad.
added by Shortride | editEsquire, Benjamin Alsup (Jun 11, 2009)

Hold on. This will hurt more than anything has before. --William Fitzsimmons, "I Don't Feel It Anymore"
For Sandra Whitaker The coolest "cuz" in the entire world
"You don't know her secret," Win said to me.

Harlan Coben's millions of fans have waited three long years for a new Myron Bolitar novel and soon their patience will be rewarded in spectacular fashion. Myron hasn't heard from Terese Collins in years. Not since their affair ended without explanation. He's had no contact with her since, so her call catches him off guard. She's in Paris, she says, in trouble and only Myron can help. Terese tells him a sad story she's never before revealed: a good marriage, her struggles to get pregnant, the happiest moment of her life when her only child was born, the day everything she'd ever loved was taken from her. As the years passed Terese heard nothing from her ex-husband, until the phone call that brought her to Paris. But on arrival, Terese finds her husband has been murdered, leaving her as a prime suspect. Then comes a startling piece of evidence that turns the entire case upside down, laying bare Terese's long-buried family secrets in the most shocking way and leaving Myron nowhere to turn for help. Caught in a foreign landscape where nothing is as it seems, he must tear apart the city - and eventually the globe - fighting for answers to unfathomable questions that will take Myron, and Harlan Coben's readers, where they have never gone before.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:21 -0400)

Myron Bolitar hasn't heard from Terese Collins since their torrid affair ended ten years ago, so her desperate phone call from Paris catches him completely off guard. Now a suspect in the murder of her ex-husband in Paris, Terese has nowhere else to turn for help. Myron heeds the call but then a startling piece of evidence turns the entire case upside down.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,167,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible