Instructions (2000)

by Neil Gaiman

Go on a journey to unknown, but strangely familiar, lands and then travel home again.

English (49)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (50)
A beautifully illustrated journey through fairytale lands. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Sep 6, 2020 |
I read this for the "A Hardcover" part of my 2020 reading challenge. Instructions for having a great adventure, it was simple and lyrical and perfect. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
An interesting take on a story that reminds me of important details in various folk and fairy tales that help the protagonist ultimately succeed. The reader, who might be the character, is given "instructions" for nothing in particular, but the advice is still wise in it's way.

The illustrations are interesting and detailed. I like the recurring character, who isn't human but might be an anthropomorphized cat or dog or something similar.

I'm not sure what the ideal audience for this book would really be. I feel like people would either enjoy the openness or ambiguity of the instructions and what they are for, while others might be annoyed at the lack of a specific story to follow. ( )
  WeeTurtle | Oct 17, 2018 |
A synthesis of fairy tale wisdom, or perhaps: a condensed assay of mythopoeic themes and tropes, doled out as if imparting life lessons.

W pronounced it "interesting but weird". I cannot improve upon that review. ( )
  elenchus | Sep 6, 2018 |
Overall, I liked this book, but it seems very wordy and esoteric for a children’s picture book. I can see a child asking “what does it mean” and having a long talk that they may not understand. ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Jul 31, 2018 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vess, CharlesIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Terri Windling, for going on ahead and illuminating the twisting path through the wild wood. —CV

For Ellen Kushner & Delia Sherman, for coming back and telling us what they found. —NG
Touch the wooden gate in the wall you never saw before,
Do not be jealous of your sister:
know that diamonds and roses
are as uncomfortable when they tumble from one's lips as toads and frogs:
colder, too, and sharper, and they cut.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,438,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible