A Quiet Place by Douglas Wood

A Quiet Place

by Douglas Wood

A Quiet Place gently leads us through one boy's search for a place to be alone with his thoughts and feelings. Written in soothing poetry, the story brings us from one imagined "quiet place" to another, paying tribute to the richness of children's imaginations, before finally leading us back to the boy's room where he finds the "quiet place" inside himself to read his books and let his dreams unfurl. ( )
  adrouet | Feb 11, 2019 |
This book was very similar to Douglas Wood's "Nothing to Do". This book talks about finding a quiet place and imagining things. I feel like this would be great to use with children who find it hard to find peace and quite in their inner selves. I really liked the idea of the book and how the author provides suggestions of where to find quiet places in their lives where they can relax and appreciate silence. ( )
  Eayyad | Mar 8, 2017 |
This picture book is about finding a nice quiet place and all the different places that could be. This would be a great book to use to illustrate the use of a take a break chair in the classroom because it is a quiet place for them to collect themselves. It is also a good book to discuss the importance of having a time and place to be alone and quiet to relax. It could help students to be less stressed. Teachers could have them reflect and journal about their favorite "quiet place" in their lives. If they don't have one they could write about their perfect "quiet place." The illustrations used soft cool colors, and are beautiful paintings. ( )
  cpaavola | Nov 4, 2015 |
4 1/2 yrs - the first pages hit home with us, my daughter has always been really sensitive to sound. She's gotten better about it the last year or so. Beautifully illustrated and I enjoyed the message even if it's a bit over the head of a small child. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
beautifully illustrated story of a boy who uses his imagination to take him to quiet places. Very nice story to use for creative writing lessons. ( )
  mdonley | Nov 21, 2012 |

"Sometimes a person needs a quiet place."

A place that's far away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life --

a place that isn't ringing or talking or roaring or playing.

But sometimes that place isn't easy to find.

Explore what it's like to find a special someplace where we

all can think our own thoughts and feel our own feelings.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:44 -0400)

Text and illustrations describe some of the special places that one can go to be quiet and alone and to imagine, such as a woods, a seashore, a library, or inside oneself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,398,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible