Low Country

by Anne Rivers Siddons

731930,850 (3.57)19
Caroline Venable has everything her Southern heritage promised: money, prestige, a powerful husband--and a predictable routine of country-club luncheons, cocktail parties, and dinners hosting her husband's wealthy friends, clients, and associates in his successful land-developing conglomerate. To escape her stifling routine, Caro drinks a little too much. But her true solace is the Lowcountry island her beloved Granddaddy left her--an oasis of breathtaking beauty that is home to a band of wild ponies. When Caro learns that her husband must develop the island or lose the business, she is devastated. The Lowcountry is her heritage--and what will happen to the ponies whose spirit and freedom have captivated her since childhood? Saving the island could cost Caroline more than she ever imagined. To succeed, she must confront the part of herself numbed by alcohol and careful avoidance--and shatter long-held ideals about her role in society, her marriage, and ultimately, herself.… (more)

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
I've read several Anne Rivers Siddons' novels over the years and they have never disappointed. I really enjoyed "Low Country". Ms. Siddons did her usual wonderful job of providing her readers with a solid plot, interesting characters and a setting that she describes in such a way, that makes you feel you were actually there! "Low County" follows the main character, Caroline "Caro" Venable, through the ups and downs of her seemingly perfect, charmed life on Peacock's Island on St. Helena's Sound. She has everything that she had hoped for: money, prestige, and a powerful husband. However, she finds herself struggling with her endless routine of country club luncheons, cocktail parties and being expected to host her husband's wealthy friends, clients, associates and employees. Caro finds herself drinking too much and still mourning the untimely death of her daughter Kylie. Her heart and passion is the Lowcountry island that her grandfather left her. However, her husband, Clay, is in dire straights financially and is asking her to sell her beloved island to save his company. This shocking realization is tearing them apart. Will they be able to survive this next chapter in their lives? ( )
  AndreaHelena | Jul 8, 2023 |
Reading this while on Kiawah Island which is off the coast of SC made the descriptions so right on about this island resort area and nearby Charleston. The main character, Caro, describes living in these surroundings in such a way that I felt like she could have been someone here. Unfortunately the way she dealt with the death of her daughter and her husband's attitude toward her love of her island became more unrealistic as the story progressed. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
This was my first book by this author. Let me put it this way "I felt joy and peace flood into my heart like an artesian well."p272 - OUCH! I guess I'm just not cut out for "Women's (Chick) Fiction (Lit). But... I did read the whole book, so I guess it wasn't THAT bad. just beware - it was like the Lifetime For Women Channel (which I have never watched) in print. Just not "my cup of tea." ( )
  librarygeek33 | Aug 18, 2015 |
Caroline Venable is the quintessential Southern Belle. Her southern heritage has also afforded her money, prestige, a powerful husband - and a predictable routine of country club luncheons, cocktail parties and dinners hosting her husband's wealthy friends, clients and associates in his successful land-developing conglomerate.

To escape her stifling routine, Caro drinks a little too much. But her true solace is found in Peacock's Island - the Lowcountry island her beloved Grandaddy left her - an oasis of breathtaking beauty that is home to a herd of wild ponies. When Caro learns that her husband must develop the island or lose his business, she is devastated. Peacock's Island and the Lowcountry is Caro's heritage - and what will happen to the ponies whose wild spirit and freedom have captivated her since childhood?

Saving the island could cost Caroline more than she ever imagined. To succeed, she must confront the part of herself numbed by alcohol and careful avoidance - and shatter long-held ideals about her role in society, her marriage, and ultimately, herself.

I have to say that while I did enjoy reading this book, it was not really as captivating as I hoped that it might be for me. I thought that the plot was a little too contrived for my liking. I still enjoyed this book enough to give it an A! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Nov 30, 2012 |
Was very refreshing to read a story where drink does not win, adultery is not mentioned, and a marriage going through MANY hardships can still stay intact and strong. I applaud Siddons for honoring the institution of marriage so respectfully. Plus, a good story to bat.
  suzireece | Feb 7, 2011 |
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower
But only so an hour
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

- Robert Frost
"I think I'll go over to the island for a few days."

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,083,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible