Track of the Cat

by Nevada Barr

Series: Anna Pigeon (1)

Fiction. Literature. Mystery. Thriller. HTML:THE FIRST ANNA PIGEON NOVELâ??WINNER OF THE AGATHA AWARD.
The fascinating hero of Nevada Barrâ??s award-winning seriesâ??park ranger Anna Pigeonâ??has brought an unyielding love of nature and sense of fair play to the mystery genre. Track of the Cat is the acclaimed novel that first introduced readers to Anna, as a woman looking for peace in the wildernessâ??and finding murder insteadâ?¦

Patrolling the remote West Texas backcountry, Annaâ??s first job as a national park ranger is marred by violence she thought she had left behind: the brutal death of a fellow ranger. When the cause of death is chalked up to a mountain lion attack, Annaâ??s rage knows no bounds. Itâ??s up to her to save the protected cats from the politics and prejudices of the localsâ??and prove the kill was the work
… (more)

OK, so I’m a little late to the party on this author; I can’t speak to Nevada Barr’s entire body of work, but Track of the Cat is quite the mystery debut.

Ms. Barr uses language wisely; her lyrical descriptions of the West Texas desert – in the heat of day, at sunset, at moonrise – are the only passages in which she is extravagant with her words. Sky, trees, animal sounds, and scents are explored as Park Ranger and Law Enforcement Officer Anna Pigeon, a transplanted New York widow, takes it upon herself to find out what killed her fellow Rangers after finding their bodies in Guadalupe Mountains National Park.

The pacing is perfect, and ends in a confrontation with one of the most despicable criminals I’ve ever read – which made the ending so satisfying. There are one or two plot holes, including a dinner party that just dropped out of the sky with either no prior mention or a mention so far back in the narrative that it was camouflaged. Without this confusing event, I would be reviewing a five star book. I took away a half-star, but I will be reading more in this series. Anna Pigeon is one of the most intriguing protagonists I’ve met in a mystery series, and I can’t wait to see where she goes. I did guess the killer, but the book is so beautifully crafted overall that I don’t count this against the author.

Other reviewers have classified this as a cozy mystery, but I disagree. Anna is too much of a badass, and I can’t reconcile the unforgiving desert landscape with tea, humor, or any of the other cozy hallmarks. Neither is it a police procedural; Anna operates in the margins of the law, and without the support of her department. I guess I’ll just call it a mystery series; maybe it’s got a sub-genre of its own. Desert Mystery?

Regardless, this is a book to be savored. Take your time as you visit the desert with Anna. Be careful on the trail. ( )
  CatherineB61 | May 31, 2023 |
I decided to reread the beginning of the Barr National Park Series to see if it is as interesting now as it was many years ago. I am happy to report that it is as good. Apart from some marginal descriptive passages, and some overly wrought philosophical introspection, the mystery and the park setting was still compelling and Anna was shown to have had actual logical deductions, unlike the protagonists of many of the mysteries I have read. ( )
  SamMelfi | Apr 4, 2023 |
Trying to hide—and drink—away her sorrow after her husband's untimely death, Anna Pigeon chooses to live on the edge of civilization as a National Park Ranger in the remote Guadalupe Mountains in the great state of Texas. Because of her independent attitude and love of nature and animals, her choice brings her some peace. Then, after she starts investigating the death of a fellow ranger, she falls down a cliff and is almost killed. Anna, convinced her fall wasn't an accident, follows the evidence, which leads her to a dark secret she can't let go. I love Anna's humourous self-talk and her entertaining relationship with her sister, Molly. Nevada Barr's descriptive narrative of the trails, desert, and plant life alone is worth the read. I also love the author's no, nonsense ending. I can't wait to dig deeper into this series. ( )
  PaulaGalvan | Jan 7, 2023 |
This is the book that got me into reading mysteries. I was an avid Hardy Boys reader as a youngster. As I got older I tried some adult mysteries -- Agatha and Sherlock where recommended to me -- but I couldn't get into them back then. Then I went to college & grad school and went through a literary snob phase where I thought mysteries were trash. A review of Track of the Cat in an outdoorsy magazine captured my interest. I got a copy and was hooked! My eyes were opened to the joys of mystery. Each Anna Pigeon book is set in a different national park. Barr served as a park ranger and knows her stuff. ( )
  Chris.Wolak | Oct 13, 2022 |
A series of deaths around the park are ruled accidents, but Anna does not believe they are. A always, she puts herself in harm's way to solved the mystery. ( )
  DrApple | Aug 31, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

For my mother and sister
There hadn't been a god for many years.

The memory of violence and loss drove Anna Pigeon from the city to seek peace in the Southwestern wilderness. Now a ranger in American's national parks, Anna is at one with nature and its serene, unspoiled majesty. But the brutal death of a fellow ranger in the remote West Texas backcountry - presumably by mountain lion attack - looks suspiciously like murder to Anna.
And her unauthorized investigation into the tragedy is placing her squarely in harm's way. For a trail with few leads winds through dangerous territory - where Anna must confront the dark side of the desert ... and the human heart.

Current Discussions

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 197,667,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible