A Shepherd's Life (1910)

by W. H. Hudson

Through the story of one man, Caleb Bawcombe, a shepherd whose flocks graze the Wiltshire, Hampshire and Dorset borders, we meet men and women of humble birth, poachers, gypsies, farmers and labourers striving to survive on the land. As we read, the cumulative affect of their stories becomes much more than a record of rural life.… (more)

This is an old book (originally published in 1910) which I picked up after reading James Rebanks' book of the same title, which references the Hudson work.

The writing style is a bit dated, but it's rather charming, and certainly heartfelt. Some of the latter chapters had some good ol' fashioned class and race prejudice, which was somewhat wince-inducing (I thought seriously of reducing my rating by a star, but the work is a product of its era as well as its "gentleman" author, and I took that into consideration). Hudson's observations of the natural world as well as his obvious admiration for Caleb, the subject of most of the book, were both the book's main attraction and its saving grace. ( )
  mrsmig | Jan 19, 2018 |

W. H. Hudsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gotch, Bernard C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kavanagh, P. J.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,144,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible