dismiss

Round Ireland with a Fridge (1998)

by Tony Hawks

TV comedian Hawks relates the story of how he tried to win a bet by hitchhiking around the circumference of Ireland in one calendar month - with a fridge
Recently added byAldusManutius, private library, Oliviab924, MissYowlYY, expatb, sajohn, williams416, TigerBeast79
    Wild East: Travels in the New Mongolia by Jill Lawless (seawerth)
    Hand to Mouth to India by Tom Thumb (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: They're both crazy hitchhikers

English (52)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (54)
Hilarious, with moments when the laughing just bursts out - nevermind the fact that the train is quite packed and I'll look like a lunatic :-D
What stood out for me: very funny descriptions of the surfing episode, and of course the doghouse. ( )
  MissYowlYY | Jun 12, 2020 |
What a tonic this book was for this time of social distancing and stressful outings! I was in Ireland less than a year ago and I really enjoyed reading of Tony Hawks adventures while he hitch-hiked around the Republic of Ireland. He did it in 1997 but I think a person could probably have done it last year and found the Irish people as friendly and helpful as he did then. Life slows down in Ireland; tractors still take to the highway to travel miles with no-one getting upset behind them; sheep stand in the middle of the road and just look at the cars they have stopped for as long as they like; people stop for a long chat while out for a walk. And everyone wants to help you whether you need directions or a recommendation for a place to visit or how to figure out where to park without getting a ticket.

Tony didn't include Northern Ireland in his trip because it was still a dangerous time to go there. He did however end up in Northern Ireland briefly to do a TV interview and the chapter on that is hilarious. We were able to visit Northern Ireland last year and we found no difference between people regardless of which side of the border we were on. ( )
  gypsysmom | Mar 31, 2020 |
The first time I read this, I laughed so hard that I fell off a bench in public and continued to laugh helplessly on the ground whilst flailing the book about.

Upon a second reading, I found myself able to maintain my seat; however, the flailing and tears of laughter were still plentiful. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Jan 9, 2020 |
1. Round Ireland With a Fridge by Tony Hawks. Englishman Hawks accepts a bet from a friend that he can't hitchhike all the way around Ireland while accompanied by a smallish fridge on a handcart. That's the whole premise, and it works out well for Hawks. The bet took place in 1997, so there's very little computer or cell phone interference. Instead, his journey was made tremendously easier by the fact that he was a well-known comedian, which landed him an interview on an Irish national radio show the very first day, a show that it seemed half the country listened to daily, and by throwing out a "be nice to him if you see him" message. With repeated on-air interviews, Hawks was able to secure rides, free lodging and meals all over the country. He did avoid the majority of Northern Ireland, just dipping into the area at one point.
For me, the highlight of the book was the excitement of the people who recognized this guy with a fridge and bent over backwards to assist him. The people, whether individually or in groups, were so ready to help. On the flip side, I was pretty familiar with English comedians of this period and I'd never heard of Hawks before, even though he starts his journey just after having performed for an audience that included Prince Charles. So, I thought the book would be funny but it was just mildly amusing throughout, and I found the times when he tried to make people laugh to be pretty lame. This is a nice read to get a look at the Irish people of that decade. ( )
  mstrust | Jan 2, 2020 |
I read this many years ago when first published and found it hilarious. For some reason, the recent rereading was less of a romp though still very enjoyable. This is a tale that restores one's faith in the basic goodness of most people.
  rosiezbanks | Oct 19, 2018 |

Tony Hawksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Engelhard, XaverTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Goldmann (44641)
To Sylvia
I'm not, by nature, a betting man.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,846,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible