The Purl Stitch

by Sally Melville

Picking up where The Knitting Experience: Book 1: The Knit Stitch left off, this primer on the purl stitch uses clear, step-by-step photographs to guide beginner knitters through unique knitting projects. A natural progression of skills is taught, and each skill is punctuated by a knitting project, enabling new knitters to create an entire wardrobe featuring jackets, sweaters, hats, socks, and mitts. The book acts as a knitting coach, offering advice, anticipating difficulties, and providing rescue techniques. Patterns are presented in an accessible format with ample text, photographs, and line drawings. While this book is written for the new knitter, more advanced knitters will enjoy the knitting projects as well.… (more)

3 stars, 1 for the author being so wonderful. I'm past this book in terms of my knitting development, but wanted to read it for thoroughness. If you're using her program to build up your skills, you're in good hands, but it's not quite the most exciting read for someone who already knows what they're doing. ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Oct 13, 2020 |
Like volume 1 in this series on the knit stitch, this book has nice photography, simple classic patterns and very clear instructions. Including the purl stitch opens up many more possibilities than are available in the first volume. I would recommend that beginners buy both volumes together.

I particularly like the instructions for making socks. I have many knitting books, magazines and pamphlets, and strangely, very few contain good instructions for customizing socks so they are the perfect size. I frequently return to Melville's instructions when making a new pair of socks. ( )
1 vote mathgirl40 | Jun 24, 2009 |
Same gripe as volume 1; same positive comments -- except that these patterns also use the purl stitch. I'm not sure a complete beginner would be perfectly happy just skipping to this book. There is some repetition between the two, but The Purl Stitch only repeats by way of review.

If you're a beginner, I suggest purchasing both volumes 1 & 2 at the same time, and using them together. ( )
  bookweirdo | Mar 11, 2007 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,784,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible