Fifty Famous Stories Retold by James Baldwin

Fifty Famous Stories Retold (1896)

by James Baldwin

254None44,964 (3.96)6

We enjoyed this compilation of short stories although we read them in historical order instead of from start to finish. We also enjoyed fact checking the stories to find out if they were legend or real. A good read. ( )
  momma2 | Jul 14, 2011 |
This is a collection of stories or "tales" that have been told over and over again throughout the centuries and unfortunately they are not as popular as they once were. Some of the tales are about real-life people and some are fictional heroes. Some are true and some are not, but the point is, each tells the tale of someone brave and heroic giving the reader a life-lesson without being didactic. Yes, there are some well-known tales such as some Greek myths, Sir Walter Raleigh, Pocahontas, and the fabricated yet well-told story of George Washington and the apple tree. Most of the stories however will be unknown to today's generation and I, myself, was only familiar with about half of them.

The stories focus is world wide, there are only a couple of American tales. Most come from England (such as King Alfred), then lots of Greek and Roman tales (though not many myths). Also featured are tales of explorers, sailors, William Tell, Napoleon, King Alfred, Robin Hood, Alexander the Great, Socrates and many others, many of whom I had not heard before.

Each story has one illustration, probably an engraving from the time period, artists' name are on some but they are too tiny to really read. James Baldwin writes for children in a easy storyteller mode often speaking directly to the reader. The 8yo and I enjoyed the stories just as much. I enjoyed finding tales I'd never heard before and he loved the swashbuckling tales of heroes. As in Baldwin's opening sentence in the Introduction these are tales which we should not let fade from our society. Some are still around today, but many are fading fast. Recommended!

The independent publishers Yesterday's Classics have reprinted many of Baldwin's books and I intend on getting more. They also have a wide catalogue of late 19th century children's books. ( )
  ElizaJane | Feb 6, 2009 |
Many years ago there lived in England a wise and good king whose name was Alfred.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,401,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible