The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1945)

by R.A. Dick

"The basis for Joseph L. Mankiewicz's cinematic romance starring Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison. Burdened by debt after her husband's death, Lucy Muir insists on moving into the very cheap Gull Cottage in the quaint seaside village of Whitecliff, despite multiple warnings that the house is haunted. Upon discovering the rumors to be true, the young widow ends up forming a special companionship with the ghost of handsome former sea captain Daniel Gregg. Through the struggles of supporting her children, seeking out romance from the wrong places, and working to publish the captain's story as a book, Blood and Swash, Lucy finds in her secret relationship with Captain Gregg a comfort and blossoming love she never could have predicted. Originally published in 1945, made into a movie in 1947, and later adapted into a television sitcom in 1968, this romantic tale explores how love can develop without boundaries, both in this life and beyond"--… (more)

English (23)  Spanish (1)  All languages (24)
In a land far, far away, there was once a young girl who saw a delightful movie with Rex Harrison and Gene Tierney, that stole her heart and peeked her imagination and set some fairly unrealistic ideas of what love is or at least can be. While browsing library shelves this week, what should that young girl, turned older lady, come across but the book from which that lovely movie sprang. Couldn’t resist.

It is a lovely little book, more a novella than a novel. It was exactly the break I needed, having just read several mammoth and weighty books. It was serendipity and oddly enough, I could spot every point at which the movie differed from the book (and I last saw that movie over 35 years ago). At moments like these I wish I had the ability to stream movies so that I could run out somewhere and find this one. Still, the sweetness of the book, coupled with the memories that keep playing in my mind, are entirely sufficient to make this a very pleasant interlude. Off I go to the next book that must be read...but, I do thank the spirits of the library for plopping this one, unsought, into my hands.
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
It's been years since I saw the movie so my memories of it are a bit hazy. However, I do find the novel to be really good. I especially love the idea that narrow-minded people that don't care about others can't hear the captain's voice. They are shut off spiritually.

I've wanted to read the books for years and I'm glad to say that the book was just as good as I hoped it to be. Now I want to re-watch the movie! I recommend this book warmly. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |

MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
One of the sweetest of romances. ( )
  fuzzipueo | Apr 24, 2022 |
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - R. A. Dick
Audio performance by Elizabeth Jasicki
4 stars

This one made me miss my mother. We watched the black and white 1947 movie version many times. Rex Harrison was well cast as the irascible ghost, Captain Daniel Gregg. The movie didn’t quite capture just how much this sweet story was a feminist protest. Lucy Muir reminded me of Townsend Warner’s Lolly Willows. I was surprised to find this pro-woman theme in a book from a male author until I realized that R.A. Dick was the pen name of Josephine Aimee Campbell Leslie. ( )
  msjudy | Dec 16, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,760,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible