The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1945)

by R.A. Dick

2842071,458 (4.08)57
Burdened by debt after her husband's death, Lucy Muir is forced out of her home and insists on moving into the very cheap Gull Cottage in the quaint seaside village of Whitecliff, despite multiple warnings that the house is haunted. Upon discovering the rumors to be true, the young widow ends up discovering a special companionship in the company of the ghost of handsome former sea captain Daniel Gregg. Through the struggles of supporting her children, seeking out romance from the wrong places, and working to publish the captain's story as a book, Blood and Swash, Lucy finds a source of constant comfort in her secret relationship with Captain Gregg. This romantic tale explores how love can blossom without boundaries, both in this life and beyond. Vintage Movie Classicsspotlights classic films that have stood the test of time, now rediscovered through the publication of the novels on which they were based.… (more)

English (19)  Spanish (1)  All languages (20)
One of the most romantic stories ever. ( )
  debbiedd24 | Jul 21, 2021 |
One of the most romantic stories ever. ( )
  debbiedd24 | Jul 21, 2021 |
This is a charming and quietly wise story about a relatively young widow who finds herself suddenly able to make a life and choices for herself, free of the influence of her late husband and his formidable family. Over the objections of everyone from the realtor to her sister-in-law -- to the late owner himself! -- Lucy takes up residence in Gull Cottage determined to live her life the way she wants to.

The titular ghost is none-too-pleased about having a WOMAN living in his house, but he soon becomes fond of the stubborn Lucy and starts giving her unsolicited advice and lecturing her. They fall into a congenial, affectionate, if sometimes quarrelsome friendship that lasts for decades.

Through this time, Lucy raises her children, falls in love, fends off the well-meaning but overbearing attempts of those around her to manage her life, and does well for herself.

Her relationship with the Captain is an important part of the story, but by no means the sole focus.

This is a quick, easy read, but not less satisfying for its simplicity. ( )
  jsabrina | Jul 13, 2021 |
Once more, I find myself reading a book upon which a favorite movie has been based. Even though I've never been a fan of either Gene Tierney or Rex Harrison, the 1947 screen adaptation of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir has always been a favorite. Since I don't care for the actors, I think it's safe to say that it's all due to the story.

The movie actually follows along rather closely to the book, only changing the chronology from time to time and having Mrs. Muir have just one child-- an excision I could understand completely.

At the very beginning of the book, we are told that Lucy Muir is a little woman, but it takes no time at all to see that the only people who call her little are those who go through life with blinders on-- and those who insist on keeping her "in her place." R.A. Dick's novel is so much more than a ghost story; it's about a woman who insists on living the life that she wants without other people telling her what to do.

My experiences in reading books that have been the source of favorite movies have been a bit hit-or-miss, but I'm happy to say that reading The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is a success. Both book and film are well done. Both stand the test of time, and both can bring a tear to the eye. ( )
  cathyskye | Oct 21, 2019 |
It's been years since I saw the movie so my memories of it are a bit hazy. However, I do find the novel to be really good. I especially love the idea that narrowminded people that don't care about other's can't hear the captain's voice. They are shut off spiritually. Anyhow, I've wanted to read the books for years and I'm glad to say that the book was just as good as hoped it to me. Now I want to re-watch the movie! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,336,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible