To Kill a Queen: An Elizabethan Girl's Diary, 1583-1586 (2006)

by Valerie Wilding

Series: My Story (UK) (1583-1586), My Story: Girls, My Story

Experience history first hand with the My Story series. It's the 1580s. Queen Elizabeth's enemies plot to kill her and place Mary Queen of Scots on the throne. While Kitty's father works on secret projects for Elizabeth, her brother's mixing with suspicious characters. As Mary's supporters edge closer by the minute, Kitty fears the worst . . . that they'll all be thrown in the tower!… (more)

This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
  benuathanasia | Sep 5, 2012 |

Belongs to Series

My Story (UK) (1583-1586)

This is the diary of 12-year-old Kitty Lumsden, the daughter of Bloody Tower diarist, Tilly Middleton, who now lives with her family near the Thames, not far from her old Tower home. The drama is set against the historical backdrop of the Babington plot to end Elizabeth's life and put Mary Queen of Scots on the throne. But far from being innocent bystanders, the Lumsden family becomes intricately involved in a mass of secrets and spies...
It's the 1580s. Queen Elizabeth's enemies plot to kill her and place Mary Queen of Scots on the throne. While Kitty's father works on secret projects for Elizabeth, her brother's mixing with suspicious characters. As Mary's supporters edge closer by the minute, Kitty fears the worst...that they'll all be thrown into the Tower.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,797,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible