Abuela

by Arthur Dorros

Other authors: Raúl Colón (Illustrator), Elisa Kleven (Illustrator)

Series: Rosalba & Abuela (1)

While riding on a bus with her grandmother, a little girl imagines that they are carried up into the sky and fly over the sights of New York City.

English (112)  Spanish (1)  All languages (113)
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
This book was a great lighthearted and fun read! The book shows a beautiful bond between a girl and her abuela (grandma) in a journey along New York City. I liked that the book in a way included a little tour or glimpse of different parts of New York City. The book explores the little girls imagination as she thinks about what it would be like if she were able to fly. The book is a great multicultural book that not only includes phrases in both Spanish and English but, also provides insight about the abuela's ethnicity and culture. I loved the dialogue that was included in the text which provided some insight about the abuela's personality or voice. The inclusion of Spanish really gives the story another dimension that emphasizes the two characters in the story. The illustrations in the story are detailed and colorful but, they seems to sway nicely which adds to the effect of it being made up. The images were very detailed and easy to follow and matched the text very well. I liked that the book includes Spanish with the translation in English which makes it easy for students to grasp the words and maybe learn simple words in Spanish. I also liked that the phrases or sentences were short and straight forward which makes it an easy read or easy to understand for younger children. The only thing that I did not like was that some of the illustrations were a bit overwhelming, only because there was a lot going on in some. I think that could overwhelm some kids and make it hard to focus on the actual text on the pages. Other than that, the book was a great read! ( )
  mreyes9 | Feb 24, 2020 |
This book is all about a boy who uses what his grandfather taught him in a new city. He and his grandfather used to stargaze in the open plains. Now he can see stars within the city lights. The message of this story is that no matter how far away you are from somebody, you can still see them in the little things you do everyday. Its a short heart warming story. ( )
  Kbruno1 | Oct 16, 2019 |
In this sweet book, a young girl goes on a grand flying adventure over the park with her Grandma. They have a wonderful time exploring everything in the city. The illustrations are detailed and colorful and absolutely gorgeous. The text is in part English and some Spanish, with helpful context clues. There is also a glossary of Spanish terms and their meanings in the back of the book. This can be used to teach beginning Spanish and Spanish culture. ( )
  JenniferSprinkle | Aug 2, 2019 |
Rosalba and her Grandmother spend the day in Manhattan together. Rosalba imagines them flying over all of their favorite places and visiting their friends and family. Kleven's illustrations are vivid, colorful and detailed, and provide extra depth to this sweet story. Children can learn to say phrases in Spanish, as they read the story. ( )
  lisaladdvt | Jun 29, 2019 |

Dorros, Arthurprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colón, RaúlIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kleven, ElisaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dorros, Sandra MarulandaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my grandmothers, a mis abuelas, and Alex. - A.D.
For my nephews, Sam, Joey, Jacob, Andrew, Sean, TOdd, Harry, and Scott. -E.K.
Abuela takes me on the bus. We go all around the city.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,150,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible