What We All Long For by Dionne Brand

What We All Long For (2005)

by Dionne Brand

Recently added byrstewart13, rjuris, topaz6, Keira666, tblgay

I’m going to admit I’m biased here, because this book takes place in Toronto, and everyone loves to see their city laid out on the page. But this is lovely, focusing on truly human characters with human problems, on the never dwindling issues of race in a multi-cultural city, on the implications of family and how abandoning those implications is just about impossible. ( )
  thepentheink | Jan 8, 2019 |
Because I love books about cities, Maggie Helwig* recommended this to me, and she was right: Full review. ( )
  coffeeandink | Jan 6, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An engrossing read with great characterization -- provides an interesting and intimate view of Toronto. I read this shortly after Brand's Bread Out of Stone and noticed a lot of similar threads emerging (like the discussion of the streetcar near the beginning of the novel). ( )
  climbingtree | Apr 6, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Some of the cultural references puzzled me, otherwise a respectable read and not much else. ( )
  rmckeown | Oct 5, 2009 |

Dionne Brandprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hill, KellyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marlene, still.
This city hovers above the forty-third parallel; that's illusory of course.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067697693X, Paperback)

“They were born in the city from people born elsewhere.”

What We All Long For follows the overlapping stories of a close circle of second-generation twenty-somethings living in downtown Toronto. There’s Tuyen, a lesbian avant-garde artist and the daughter of Vietnamese parents who’ve never recovered from losing one of their children in the crush to board a boat out of Vietnam in the 1970s. Tuyen defines herself in opposition to just about everything her family believes in and strives for. She’s in love with her best friend Carla, a biracial bicycle courier, who’s still reeling from the loss of her mother to suicide eighteen years earlier and who must now deal with her brother Jamal’s latest acts of delinquency. Oku is a jazz-loving poet who, unbeknownst to his Jamaican-born parents, has dropped out of university. He is in constant conflict with his narrow-minded and verbally abusive father and tormented by his unrequited love for Jackie, a gorgeous black woman who runs a hip clothing shop on Queen Street West and dates only white men. Like each of her friends, Jackie feels alienated from her parents, former hipsters from Nova Scotia who never made it out of subsidized housing after their lives became entangled with desire and disappointment.

The four characters try to make a life for themselves in the city, supporting one another through their family struggles.

There’s a fifth main character, Quy, the child who Tuyen’s parents lost in Vietnam. In his first-person narrative, Quy describes how he survived in various refugee camps, then in the Thai underworld. After years of being hardened, he has finally made his way to Toronto and will soon be reunited with his family – whether to love them or hurt them, it’s not clear. His story builds to a breathless crescendo in an ending that will both shock and satisfy readers.

What We All Long For is a gripping and, at times, heart-rending story about identity, longing and loss in a cosmopolitan city. No other writer has presented such a powerful and richly textured portrait of present-day Toronto. Rinaldo Walcott writes in The Globe and Mail: “… every great city has its literary moments, and contemporary Toronto has been longing for one. We can now say with certainty that we no longer have to long for a novel that speaks this city’s uniqueness: Dionne Brand has given us exactly that.” Donna Bailey Nurse writes in the National Post: “What We All Long For is a watershed novel. From now on, Canadian writers will be pressed to portray contemporary Toronto in all its multiracial colour and polyphonic sound.”

But What We All Long For is not only about a particular city. It’s about the universal experience of being human. As Walcott puts it, “Brand makes us see ourselves differently and anew. She translates our desires and experiences into a language, an art that allows us to voice that which we live, but could not utter or bring to voice until she did so for us.”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:45 -0400)

This is a multi-cultural infusion that follows the stories of a close circle of second-generation 20-somethings living in downtown Toronto - and the secrets they hid from their families.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Dionne Brand's book What We All Long For was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,548,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible