SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Moxyland (2008)

by Lauren Beukes

A frighteningly persuasive, high-tech fable, this novel follows the lives of four narrators living in an alternative futuristic Cape Town, South Africa. Kendra, an art-school dropout, brands herself for a nanotech marketing program; Lerato, an ambitious AIDS baby, plots to defect from her corporate employers; Tendeka, a hot-headed activist, is becoming increasingly rabid; and Toby, a roguish blogger, discovers that the video games he plays for cash are much more than they seem. On a collision course that will rewire their lives, this story crackles with bold and infectious ideas, connecting a ruthless corporate-apartheid government with video games, biotech attack dogs, slippery online identities, a township soccer school, shocking cell phones, addictive branding, and genetically modified art. Taking hedonistic trends in society to their ultimate conclusions, this tale paints anything but a forecasted utopia, satirically undermining the reified idea of progress as society's white knight.… (more)
    Astradeni by Eugenia Fakinou (Lucy_Skywalker)
    Lucy_Skywalker: These two books have absolutely nothing in common, but now I have this feeling that someone who liked the one may appreciate the other as well.

English (43)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (45)
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. Which is interesting, because the last two Beukes books I read, I thought they were flat-out masterpieces.

All of the elements are here. The strange, futuristic art, the reliance and prevalence of tech, the deep paranoia and subversive elements. All of it. It was like, when Beukes came to write [b:Broken Monsters|20706269|Broken Monsters|Lauren Beukes|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1394562848s/20706269.jpg|27869457], she took most of the elements of this novel, then found the right way to integrate them together.

Maybe because this was closer to an early William Gibson novel (never a bad thing) crossed with some Clockwork Orange. But it was more techno-thriller than I expected, I guess.

Really, my only major complaint was that three of the four main characters sounded a little too similar. Not a problem in the last two novels.

Well written, brilliantly imagined. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
Am I a fan of cyberpunk? I would never have guessed it, but a few highly enjoyable reading experiences of late seem to point in that direction...

I really enjoyed the world of Moxyland and hope that more of Beukes' books continue to explore it. The trial-by-fire of piecing together just what everything meant was fun, and she did a great job with keeping each separate POV fascinating in its own right. I think my main problem with it was a result of my own personal attempt to read this book amid the frenzy of the end of the semester. There was so much going on that I would have benefited more from reading it in just a few sittings than over the course of a few weeks...I found it difficult to remember exactly what was what. I almost wish, too, that it was a little longer just because I enjoyed learning about this futuristic Cape Town, but I appreciate it for its succinctness. Please return here, Ms. Beukes! ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this novel.

The setup was pure near-future SF with nice thriller/horror undertones, kinda a mix between Stross's [b:Rule 34|8853299|Rule 34 (Halting State, #2)|Charles Stross|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1306168574s/8853299.jpg|13728393] with some vintage William Gibson, and finishing with a really nice twist. What was most scary about it was how realistic and how very *possible* it is.

But setup and plot is only part of what makes this book great. In the end, I can't help but think only wonderful thoughts about all the characters I got to live vicariously through. I've read [b:Broken Monsters|23341578|Broken Monsters|Lauren Beukes|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1434675391s/23341578.jpg|27869457] and loved it for it's characters, too. Both of these are very different beasts, of course, with this one being firmly SF, but I also loved her rich and vivid treatment of her characters. They are so completely memorable, even now, and can't help but be very impressed that she pulled it off again for such a new and varied cast, here.

Any tale is going to be extremely rich and memorable in direct proportion to how well the characters are drawn, and I can honestly say that I'm blown away. I loved these guys and gals. I'm also horrified. It's not like they were shining examples of anything except being people, with all the good and the bad, but I'm still left almost speechless by the results.

And the twist.

I can't wait to keep reading everything she's put out. I'm now officially hooked. Not only are the characters brilliant, but the plots are truly fine and the implications truly scary. I wasn't able to put the novel down and I was very engrossed. Total Entertainment. :)

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Horrifyingly prophetic, beautifully written, everything I wanted out of a scifi novel.
  amara.moore | Jan 23, 2020 |
One of my favorite authors. This debut book feels unfinished to me, but it still has what I like best about Beukes - she plops you right into the story and never explains anything - you just learn as you go along. As in real life, some things never get explained but those missing explanations never stopped me from completely buying into her world. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |

Beukes, Laurenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barth, MechthildTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hi-Fi, JoeyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To bright possibilities
It's nothing. An injectable. A prick. No hospital involved. Like a booster shot with added boost.

Angry Robot

2 editions of this book were published by Angry Robot.

Editions: 0857660047, 0857660055

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,344,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible