Dogwood by Chris Fabry

Dogwood

by Chris Fabry

Some sections that were helpful with where I am seeking to know God's heart. Interesting twist at the end. ( )
  KoestK | Jun 13, 2016 |
I kind of struggled through this one at the outset. Chapter after chapter of reading but not really understanding what was going on. I got to know the characters, but the story seemed so fragmented and disjointed. As I neared the end, I realized why and the book instantly moved from 2 stars to 3 stars. I was not completely surprised at the end, but did find it was a nice twist.

While this is Christian fiction, winning a Christy Award in 2009 in the Contemporary Standalone category, it is not your typical book in the genre. It is engaging and easy-to-read without being in-your-face evangelistic or full of too-good-to-be-true characters. Very easy to read, t took me a morning to read finish it.

Recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
A man just released from prison. A former love. A town not ready to forgive. A mystery of a deep tragedy deep at the heart of it all that is gradually revealed. This book did mesmerize me at times as the stunning nature of the mystery at it's center came to the center. At first the shifting nature of the narrative as it went from character to character had me on my toes as I tried to keep it all straight. At the end it was a meaningful story of forgiveness and the power of God to heal past hurts. ( )
  debs4jc | Jun 11, 2014 |
Definitely deserves a Christy Award ! Surprising twists at the end. A very moving and heart tendering novel. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Jun 22, 2011 |
Fabulous, a real page-turner.
You will never guess the end; it left me astounded. I could never have guessed the ending. ( )
  van-vinos | Apr 13, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141431955X, Paperback)

2009 Christy Award winner!In the small town of Dogwood, West Virginia, Karin has buried her shattered dreams by settling for a faithful husband whose emotional distance from her deep passions and conflicts leaves her isolated. Loaded with guilt, she tries to raise three small children and "do life" the best she can. Will returns to Dogwood intent on pursuing the only woman he has ever loved--only to find there is far more standing in his way than lost years in prison. The secrets of Will and Karin's past begin to emerge through Danny Boyd, a young boy who wishes he hadn't survived the tragedy that knit those two together as well as tore them apart. The trigger that will lay their pain bare and force them to face it rather than flee is the unlikely figure of Ruthie Bowles, a withered, wiry old woman who leads Karin so deep into her anger against God that it forces unexpected consequences.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

Will returns to Dogwood intent on pursuing Karin, the only woman he has ever loved--only to find there is far more standing in his way than lost years in prison. The secrets of Will and Karin's past emerge through a young boy who wishes he hadn't survived the tragedy that knit those two together and then tore them apart.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,849,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible