Murder in Mykonos by Jeffrey Siger

Murder in Mykonos

by Jeffrey Siger

110None109,925 (3.23)8

English (13)  Estonian (1)  All languages (14)
Jeffrey Siger cranks up the tension in his debut outing for Inspector Kaldis, a police officer reassigned to Mykonos after ruffling too many feathers in Athens. Kaldis races around the island after a serial killer, who's killed 18 tourists (all tall, blonde and female) and has currently kidnapped number 19. While this is a page turner, the plot is ludicrous and stereotypes abound. One for the beach. ( )
  sianpr | Mar 17, 2014 |
This really isn't bad at all - the opening pages are not well written, and the heart sinks, but having stayed with it, I found the pages turning freely, if not un-put-down-ably: the tension is built effectively, and there is an interesting development of the relationship between the police chief on Mykonos and his boss who oversees the Cycladic islands in general. The author introduces a good variety of suspects (perhaps he even overeggs this particular pudding), and the crimes are nicely gruesome, although there is some tastelessness in their description. Towards the end, my interest did begin to fade a little - there is a rather tedious chase sequence, and the mischievous ending doesn't wholly convince (though full marks for effort); it's more frustrating than amusing. Having said all that, though, I'll definitely try the next in the series. ( )
  jtck121166 | Jul 13, 2013 |
The imprisonment and torture of a woman was too graphic and detailed for me to enjoy the book. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
Oh, I felt so disenchanted at the end of this! The girls are all just so dumb, and the men are all rude and corrupt. How sad that it all happens against such a beautiful background! The author does a great job with sense of place, and with the overall feeling, but I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough at the end. As though nobody would find out so many girls died there? ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
I liked this book better than I thought I would mostly because I'm not a big "suspense" fan. However this one did a lot of character building which often suspense doesn't manage to do.

Andreas Kaldis has been "promoted" out of Athens to be Police Chief in Mykonos. His goal is to survive this tour of duty and get back to Athens.

Very shortly into his time in Mykonos a construction worker finds a body in a church crypt. More bodies are then found scattered across small churches in the countryside. Since there has never been a serial killer in Greece Andreas is fighting time and also the establishment of both Mykonos and Greece to try and find the killer before he kills again.

The story moves along pretty quickly and you get a taste of life on an island in the Aegean Sea, especially the party island of Mykonos.

I'll probably read more in this series but it might be a while, I need to space out my suspense books with things less, intense. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159058581X, Hardcover)

A young woman on holiday to Mykonos, the most famous of Greeceas Aegean Cycladic islands, simply disappears off the face of the earth. And no one notices.
That is, until a body turns up on a pile of bones under the floor of a remote mountain church. Then the islandas new police chiefathe young, politically incorrect, former Athens homicide detective Andreas Kaldisastarts finding bodies, bones, and suspects almost everywhere he looks.
Teamed with the canny, nearly-retired local homicide chief, Andreas tries to find the killer before the media can destroy the islandas fabled reputation with a barrage of world-wide attention on a mystery thatas haunted Mykonos undetected for decades.
Just when it seems things canat get any worse, another young woman disappears and political niceties no longer matter. With the investigation now a rescue operation, Andreas finds himself plunging into ancient myths and forgotten island places, racing against a killer intent on claiming a new victim who is herself determined to outstep him.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:43 -0400)

A young woman on holiday to Mykonos, the most famous of Greece's Aegean Cycladic islands, disappears. No one notices, until a body turns up on a pile of bones under the floor of a remote mountain church. Then the island's new police chief--the young, politically incorrect, former Athens homicide detective Andreas Kaldis--starts finding bodies, bones, and suspects almost everywhere he looks. Just when it seems things can't get any worse, another young woman disappears. With the investigation now a rescue operation, Andreas finds himself plunging into ancient myths and forgotten island places, racing against a killer intent on claiming a new victim who is herself determined to outstep him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,505,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible