Twenty Boy Summer

by Sarah Ockler

While on vacation in California, sixteen-year-old best friends Anna and Frankie conspire to find a boy for Anna's first kiss, but Anna harbors a painful secret that threatens their lighthearted plan and their friendship.

i read this in middle school and absolutely cried the entire time. ( )
  beethovensfruit | Jun 25, 2022 |
I'm glad their friendship was saved.

One tragedy - too many broken lives.

I'm not sure how to feel about the whole Sam thing. I guess I'm glad that someone managed to remind her that life goes on. A summer fling. I wonder how that feels.
I hope Anna and Sam can keep their friendship over the great divide of distance.
Grief is an ugly beast.

VERDICT: It okay ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
LOVED this, such a solid read. Parts of the story had me giggling out loud, the author's descriptions are just so great. I could totally relate to Anna, as the shy, more awkward best friend being slightly overshadowed by Frankie, the more outspoken of the two.

Not every aspect of this book is light or carefree, as both Frankie and Anna learn to deal with the tragic death of someone close to them. The characters and emotions in this book are so heartfelt and real, and I really liked how the author shows how people deal with tragic events in such different ways. This book is one of my favorites of the summer so far! ( )
  Emily_Harris | Dec 22, 2020 |
3.9 stars.

While this is not my favorite, not ranking in the levels of, say, Divergent, VA, Angel Burn and the like, I enjoyed this book. I think the characters were the thing that really made this story for me. I mean, the Story was interesting, but not thing that I typically read. And the romance was cute, but it only really impacted me when it was compared to the MC's prior romance and all the shit that happened there.

But the MC here had a really clear voice and understandable emotions and reactions, and that's what made this story for me.

I kind of wish this story had ended about three chapters before it did. When the MC said good-bye to the ocean and they left Zanzibar Bay, that felt like an ending to me, but I like the way that it did end, and I understand that the author felt obligated to tighten the the loose end (that I feel she'd already tied up) with Frankie and Anna.

Basically, what I'm saying is that while this was not favorite story ever, I understand why people rave about Sarah Ockler. I do think I will pick up something else by Sarah Ockler in the future, though it will probably be from the library, bot something that I'll buy. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
I didn't enjoy Twenty Boy Summer like I expected I would. It was just OK for me with not much excitement or emotion.

3*** ( )
  Mischenko | Nov 30, 2017 |
Young adults will enjoy Sarah Ockler's debut novel for the top-notch portrayal of teen-aged best friends and summer vacation adventure. Ockler also tackles some grown-up issues, such as death, betrayal, drinking, and sex. However, she addresses them all with realism and introspection, even some self-deprecating humor, which leads the reader to unmistakable lessons and insights.

For Alex, my best monster and number-one favorite person in the whole wide world.
It was just over a year ago.
Twelve months, nine days, and six hours ago, actually.

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316051594, 0316051586

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,860,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible