In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens: Womanist…

In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens: Womanist Prose (1983)

by Alice Walker

Recently added byjules46, CristinaQue, private library, ghsmediacenter, Cozmic, IndieQuill, kitzyl
Legacy LibrariesTupac Shakur

English (6)  German (1)  All languages (7)
Really loved this when I read it in my early thirties. In fact, I think I want to go back and read it again. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
Alice Walker is a formidable novelist and "theologian" in her own right [write / rite / rights]. She is also infamous for defining "Womanist", and for resurrecting the treasure trove of Zora Neale Hurston, whose anthropology novels had been deliberately subordinated. In this "Search", Walker provides perspective on that discovery. It is a brilliant unfolding of stories within stories--gems poking out from the vein of treasure in the cordillera of literature. Walker steps boldly into authentic theology with the first Chapter--"Saving the Life that is your own". She begins by recounting the letter written by an obscure French painter to another. Within six months, the writer put paint to canvas, fell into depression, mutilated his ear, and destroyed his life "behind a pile of manure in the yard". Knowing the story, the message of the letter itself jumps off the page. She presents the "salvation" model of caring, and explains Why. This is robust Theology.
Walker also answers questions often put to her, by telling stories that reflect on the "Southern experience" she shares with other writers. Her sketches are the "anatomically correct" perspective needed for reading literature. For example, noting the fact that the writings of white male racist Faulkner are well-known, a rich legacy of black writers remains--"continues"--to be subordinated. However, this book is not bitter, and is whine-free. She mirrors the "advantageous heritage" bequeathed to Southerners, and to those of color whose morals, achievements and intelligence far exceeds those who claim to be entitled or "superior". In her words, "We inherit a great responsibililty as well, for we must give voice to centuries not only of silent bitterness and hate but also of neighborly kindness and sustaining love." The volume is a resource for those who are building and repairing the Kin-dom of god on Earth. ( )
  keylawk | Aug 26, 2017 |
We have all pretty much seen the movie. However, the book was far more detailed oriented.

A collection of letters detailing the life of Ciele. This book was an excellent read. A tear jerker for sure. I could not stop reading it once I picked it up. The interaction and growth of all the characters was very well written.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone reading it. I do not want to give spoilers here other than, if you think you know the whole story by watching the movie? You are missing out on all the tiny details if you do not read this book. ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
I have yet to read a book by Alice Walker that I did not love... Her ability with writing, whether fiction or non-fiction, is astounding and I enjoyed these essays as much as I have enjoyed her fiction. I've also been prompted to look into reading some of the black authors she mentions and recommends in this book. ( )
1 vote aliaschase | Oct 17, 2010 |
I enjoyed reading this book. I find Alice Walker to be an intelligent, thoughtful woman. While we are not particularly alike in any way, I found that I related to a lot of what she says. She's Southern Black and I'm Northern White, but we are both women. She grew up rural and I grew up inner city. In an odd way that's a connection. Her essays open doors and windows for me, help me to see, to better understand a life other than one like my own. I would recommend it to anyone, particularly White women wanting to better understand our Black sisters, anyone wanting in insiders view of feminism from a Black woman's perspective, and anyone wanting to understand why the Civil Rights movement was so important. She covers all these topics and more. ( )
  Airycat | Jun 15, 2009 |
To my daughter Rebecca who saw in me what I considered a scar And redefined it as a world.
There is a letter Vincent Van Gogh wrote to Emile Bernard that is very meaningful to me.
I had that wonderful feeling writers get sometimes, not very often, of being WITH a great many people, ancient spirits, all very happy to see me consulting and acknowledging them, and eager to let me know, through the joy of their presence, that, indeed, I am not alone. [13]

In this, her first collection of nonfiction, Alice Walker speaks out as a
black woman, writer, mother, and feminist in thirty-six pieces ranging
from the personal to the political. Among the contents are essays about
other writers, accounts of the civil rights movement of the 1960s and the
antinuclear movement of the 1980s, and a vivid memoir of a scarring
childhood injury and her daughter’s healing words.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:59 -0400)

Essays on the role of women, especially black women, in contemporary society.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,398,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible