Almost Forever by Linda Howard

Almost Forever

by Linda Howard

Enjoyable read but abrupt ending... ( )
  diidi92 | Nov 22, 2016 |
Enjoyable read but abrupt ending... ( )
  diidi92 | Nov 22, 2016 |
This is the second book in the Spencer-Nyle series. The first book is Almost Forever. While I am ambivalent about Sarah's Child, the first book, I really enjoy this one.

We first meet Max in Sarah's Child. He is vying for the affection of Sarah, much to Rome's disgust. He comes off as a sweet playboy. In this book we realize there is more to him. He's intense and driven, and willing to go after what he wants.

Claire Westbrook learned her lesson about handsome playboys the hard way. With a failed marriage under her belt, she as no intention of repeating past mistakes. Though she's attracted to Max, she isn't willing to act on it because she wants to protect her heart.

Max is there to get information about the company Claire works for so his company can attempt a takeover. He introduces himself as a means to get what he needs, but soon finds he wants the whole business done so he'll be free to be with her.

When Claire finds out Max was using her to get information, it destroys her. She never expected him to treat her that way. Max figures he can take her back to bed and she'll get over being angry..except she isn't just angry, she's devastated.

Claire isn't my favorite Howard heroine. She comes off as a bit of a doormat, though I wouldn't strictly say she is one. She's just leery of letting anyone get too close to her. But her natural reserve means she doesn't always stick up for herself. I don't necessarily dislike her, but she isn't my favorite part of this book. My heart did break for her, however, when she realized Max's betrayal. I even teared up a little.

Max, however, is. I think because he realizes his mistakes and tires to atone. His bumbling in the beginning amused me and his determination to win Claire back made for interesting reading.

cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
While interesting, this one is pretty dated. I'm sorry, lying is not a good start to a relationship and I would make him grovel a lot more before accepting him. She gives in to him too easily and is too willing to abandon her life and hopes to marry a man who resembles the man she previously divorced, a man who left her as soon as she was "over" her miscarriage. Honestly, a real woman would be a little more cautious, a little more assertive about keeping her job so that if she was left in the lurch again she would have something to fall back on, then again maybe that's me.

Claire Westerbrook works for a man who is researching applied metalurgical handwavium, she's his secretary and tries to keep the interference with his research to a minimum.

Max Conroy works for a company who is interested in buying out this company and sees Claire as a way in.

This story left me with a bad feeling afterwards, I was very disappointed that the characters seemed to just fall into cliche very quickly and she forgives him way to readily for being a louse. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 12, 2010 |
Max Conroy is sent by his boss to gather information about Bronson Alloys in order to facilitate a takeover. He identifies Claire Westbrook as the 'weak link' in the company, the secretary to Bronson himself. Max intends to seduce Claire and get the information out of her, or at least gain access to the office files. What he doesn't count on is finding her 'challenging' and 'attractive' and, of course, 'falling for her.'
Initially as Max gets to know Claire he is charming and kind, coaxing her out of the shell she's built around herself to protect herself from guys like him. Claire tells him what he needs to know, and then sleeps with him. Then, of course she finds out who he really is and what he really wanted. Of course, she feels hurt and betrayed and resolves to avoid him. Good choice. Unfortunately, Max is very used to getting what he wants, and he's decided that he wants Claire. He engages in increasingly more high-handed and arrogant behavior. Claire is understandably angry at him, but stupidly decides that she must be so angry because she loves him so much. He forces her to move away from her family to take a job at his office at headquarters, offering her a lot more money. He tells her she'd be a fool to turn it down, effectively giving her the choice of doing what he wants or being 'a fool.' Then, when she accepts the offer, he shows up unexpectedly at her new home in his town on the very day she moves in, offers to help move the furniture, and surreptitiously makes note of her unlisted phone number by reading it off the phone (stalker, much?). He also takes it upon himself to explain his betrayal of Claire to her mother, who is also there, casting himself in a much better light, of course. When Claire asks him what her mother said to that, he tells her 'She understands," when in fact, her mother had threatened him with bodily harm if he ever hurt Claire again. This serves to make Claire feel as though her mother has abandoned her to him and would not be able to turn to her for help. Claire's sister would also offer no quarter: "...he always watched you...as if he were so hungry for you, as if he wanted to absorb you. It gave me the shivers" she goes on to add, showing her poor grasp of the situation, "the good shivers, if you know what I mean." (p. 184) At this point, I threw the book at the wall, having decided that if I had to read about Claire overlooking all of this and marrying Max and pretending that they lived happily ever after, when everything I've just related leads me to believe that within 3 years Claire will be the recipient of regular beatings to everywhere but her face, I would probably throw up.
It's possible that I am overreacting to a book written in 1986, when things were slightly different. However, I felt you all ought to know, because if you have the same sort of values and beliefs as I do, you probably shouldn't read this book. ( )
  EmScape | May 6, 2009 |
Anson Edwards sat alone in his big plush office, his fingers steepled as he weighed the strengths of his two lieutenants, wondering which of the two would be best to send to Houston.
Please do not combine this single title with the Harlequin Bestselling Authors Collection (ISBN 0373389892 or 145920400X) version, as the HBAC title contains 2 separate stories.

They played by their own rules . . .
She didn't let any man close enough.
He didn't let anything get in the way of his job -- and his job was to lead a corporate takeover.
But Max Conroy needed information, so he set out to seduce Claire Westbrook.
But rules were meant to be broken . . .
In the beginning it was simple -- the facades, the distance -- until Max found his loyalties put to the ultimate test and Claire dared to let down her defenses. Now it was more than a game of winners and losers. Now they were playing for the highest stakes of all.
* * *
She didn't let any man close enough. He didn't let anything get in the way of his job leading corporate takeovers. But he needed information and planned to seduce her. It was simple, until his loyalties were put to the test and she dared to let down her defenses. Now they're playing for the highest stakes of all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 155166934X, Mass Market Paperback)

He was the most fascinating man she'd ever met . . .

Claire Westerbrook found it hard to believe that Max Conroy was truly interested in her. Then she discovered he wasn't -- he just wanted information about her boss. Max was studying her company for a takeover and had decided the quickest way to make it happen was through her.

Now Claire wants nothing to do with a man who could deceive her with so little remorse. But Max isn't leaving Houston without acquiring everything he wants. And that includes Claire . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:41 -0400)

"They played by their won rules. But rules were meant to be broken. She didn't let any man close enough. She was determined not to lose her heart again. He didn't let anything get in the way of his job leading corporate takeovers." -- Jacket.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,459,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible