Purgatory Ridge by William Kent Krueger

Purgatory Ridge

by William Kent Krueger

264None42,847 (3.87)31

One of the ladies in my little mystery group mentioned that she'd like to read this author. This is my first (but by no means the last) experience with William Kent Krueger and DAMN. He writes one hell of a good mystery. The plot is like Mohammed Ali at the top of his boxing career. It ducks, it weaves, it entertains and then it packs a wallop that knocks you off your feet and leaves you seeing stars and gasping for breath. The twists and turns in this story were masterful. The characters are realistic and very well written.

I am so heading to the store to pick up the first in the series. I definitely want more. ( )
  enemyanniemae | Mar 23, 2013 |
Another entertaining thriller in the Cork O'Connor series. I like the rural Minnesota setting and the Native American themes in this series. This book's central issues are the eco-terrorism bombing of a local lumbermill, and a man's obsession with a Lake Superior shipwreck that he barely survived a decade ago. It turns into a fast-paced kidnap/murder story by the end. ( )
  SugarCreekRanch | Oct 21, 2012 |
William Kent Kreuger's mystery series featuring Cork O'Connor seemed, in my mind, to start out relatively slowly. I felt that it wasn't until his fourth or fifth book that he really hit his stride. I'm very thankful that I had bought up his complete series before beginning to read them (based on an enthusiastic review I read of a later book).. otherwise I might have given up on the series early on and missed some really great stories. And in hindsight even the early books have a great deal to offer.

The novels are set in rural, northern Minnesota for the most part with the action shifting to The U.P. of Michigan in one story and to Wyoming in another. Mr. Kreuger gives Cork O'Connor a family life that is anything but 'storybook'. From one end to the other this is a loving, but modern family, with real life modern problems that they do manage to get resolved. Fairly early in the series, the stories begin increasingly encompassing Cork's and his family's Native American connection to good advantage!

This is a very good and satisfying series which I gobbled up faster and faster towards the end. Now I have to sit and eagerly await the next Cork O'Connor adventure. This is a series where the books could be read as stand alones, but for maximum enjoyment I would strongly recommend reading them in the order that they were written. ( )
  jastbrown | Feb 27, 2012 |
Not far from Aurora, MN, lies an ancient expanse of great white pines, sacred to the Anishinaabe tribe. When an explosion kills the night watchmen at wealthy industrialist Karl Lindstrom's nearby lumber mill, it's obvious where suspicion will fall. Former sheriff Cork O'Connor agrees to help investigate, but he has mixed feelings about the case. For one thing, he is part Anishinaabe. For another, his wife, a lawyer, represents the tribe. Meanwhile, near Lindstrom's lakeside home, a reclusive shipwreck survivor and his sidekick are harboring their own resentment of the industrialist. ( )
  jepeters333 | Aug 4, 2011 |
Another solid book from Krueger is this 10 book series. This is #3, rated 3 1/2 stars, completed 5/29/11. A central character is a good guy who got some bad breaks, a lot of them, then became a bad guy but with a heart of gold. Didn't grab me, nor did the lengthy descriptions of the wreck of a ship, diving scenes. And I think everybody knows that the evil bad guy is the one who is behind the good guy's troubles, the only one who is surprised is the good bad guy. Got that? Cork's family is involved all the way, and I hope that doesn't become part of the formula for all the remaining books because that will become tiresome fast. There's a kidnapping with a few extra unexpected victims thrown in, guess who. Cork gets shot again, but survives as does his marriage for the time being. I have now read #1, 2, 3, and 10. Think I might jump to #9 (which is a big scene shifter), then await #11. We'll see..... ( )
  maneekuhi | Jun 3, 2011 |
For Diane, who is the first blessing each morning and the final beauty each night,
and for June and Lloyd Peterson, who welcomed me as a son.
Above all things in heaven or on earth, John LePere loved his brother.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067104754X, Mass Market Paperback)

Penzler Pick, March 2001: William Kent Krueger writes the kind of novels mystery lovers love to read: well-written, both character- and plot-driven, with tense scenes and surprise endings. Purgatory Ridge is the third in his series starring Corcoran "Cork" O'Connor, half white, half Ojibwe, who is the sometime sheriff of Aurora, a small town in the North Woods of Minnesota. What is particularly refreshing about Cork O'Connor is that, unlike the portrayal of many private investigators and cops in literature, he is a troubled man with a troubled marriage. He and his wife, Jo, have been through hard times, and although there is plenty of love between them, those hard times often surface and impact investigations and decisions they make regarding their careers. As the story begins, Cork is no longer sheriff, but just has to help investigate when a bomb explodes at the lumber mill run by wealthy industrialist Karl Lindstrom. The bomb kills an Ojibwe Indian who, like many of that nation, objects to the tearing down of the trees in that area, especially those considered sacred by the Ojibwe.

In a parallel story, John LePere, half Indian, half white, festers. As the only survivor aboard the Alfred M. Teasdale when she went down in Lake Superior, he thinks about the death of his shipmates, especially his brother. When it is suggested to him that the sinking of the Teasdale may not have been an accident, LePere is pulled into a plot to avenge the deaths. Grace Fitzgerald, heir to the line that owned the Teasdale, happens to be married to Karl Lindstrom. Add the eco-warriors who have come in from other parts of the country to stop the logging, and you have a potent mix of high adventure and skullduggery. Purgatory Ridge is a fine introduction to Krueger and doesn't require that you first read the earlier two books. --Otto Penzler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:26 -0400)

Wealthy industrialist Karl Lindstrom has a bad environmental reputation. Members of the local Ojibwe Anishinaabe tribe are concerned about the proximity of an ancient two hundred acre expanse of great white pines to his lumber mill. The trees are sacred to the tribe. So when an explosion at the mill is claimed by the "Eco-Warrior", suspicion falls on the tribe, and the disagreement escalates. When the authorities uncover the charred body of a respected member of the tribe, the situation erupts hurling the town to the brink of war. Former sheriff Cork O'Connor is asked by his successor to help with the investigation. Cork has distinctly mixed feelings about the case since he is part Anishinaabe and his lawyer wife represents the tribe. So Cork is more than concerned about what he might find. But Lindstrom is not without enemies, and a reclusive shipwreck survivor and his sidekick harbor some age old resentment of their own against Lindstrom.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,478,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible