Purgatory Ridge by William Kent Krueger

Purgatory Ridge (2002)

by William Kent Krueger

The local Anishinaabe Indian tribe is furious to discover that Karl Lindstrom's lumber mill is after a grove of trees sacred to tribal lore. So when the mill gets bombed, killing a man, the tribe is blamed. But ex-sheriff Cork O'Connor has a different theory.

Another great offering from Krueger and the Cork O'Connor series. I really enjoy these books. I can't pinpoint the reason why I have enjoyed this series more than others, but I think I just really like the characters and the geography of the Great Lakes region. The mystery was not terribly difficult to figure out, but the story moved along without any lulls, and I thought the ending was satisfying. I would not call this great literature, but I enjoy the writing style and find the reads to be a nice escape. I will absolutely continue reading this series. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
This is the third installment of the Cork O'Connor series and I'm enjoying Krueger's willingness to let other characters other than Cork take center stage. ( )
  pinetastic | Jan 10, 2018 |
Purgatory Ridge is the third book in the Cork O'Connor series. Following events in the last book, Cork is no longer sheriff of Aurora, Minnesota. He's inherited a friend's burger joint and seems fairly content. He's married Jo, an attorney who works for the Ojibwe tribe and is part Anishinaabe himself. Their marriage has been in turmoil but they are working hard to stay together.

Meanwhile a logging company has gained the rights to harvest a stand of white pine trees known as the Old Grandfathers, sacred to the Anishinaabe people. Karl Lindstrom, owner of the company, has moved to town with his wife and son to oversee the operation. During a protest between the Ojibwe and an environmental group leads to an explosion and the death of a local man. Someone named Eco-Warrior takes credit for the blast and Cork steps in to help the sheriff investigate. In a parallel story we meet John LaPere, who lives on the rocky formation known as Purgatory Ridge, on Lake Superior. He's lived there since he became the only survivor of a 1986 shipwreck that took the life of his brother. He's still searching for what happened to send the ship to the bottom of the freezing lake.

All thes stories start to come together when Lindstrom's wife and son are kidnapped. Because Cork's wife, Jo, and their son, Stevie, were visiting at the time, they were also taken. It's not long before we know who and why they were kidnapped. This becomes a very complex plot but I was riveted the entire time. I think this author does a particularly wonderful job of describing the setting and making his characters so realistic. If you're looking for a well thought out mystery, with a surprising ending, I can highly recommend Purgatory Ridge.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
Several stories are interwoven in this Cork O'Connor mystery. A battle is on between the timber industry and the local tribes and environmentalists over the last stand of old growth trees in the area. The mill owner Karl and his wife Grace are struggling in their marriage as are Cork and his wife Jo. And a local man whose parents and brother all died in the the lake holds Grace's family responsible for his brother's death. The characters are well developed and the story rushes onward. A good read. ( )
  gbelik | Oct 14, 2016 |
From Amazon:
Not far from Aurora, Minnesota (population 3,752), lies an ancient expanse of great white pines, sacred to the Anishinaabe tribe. When an explosion kills the night watchman at wealthy industrialist Karl Lindstrom's nearby lumber mill, it's obvious where suspicion will fall. Former sheriff Cork O'Connor agrees to help investigate, but he has mixed feelings about the case. For one thing, he is part Anishinaabe. For another, his wife, a lawyer, represents the tribe. Meanwhile, near Lindstrom's lakeside home, a reclusive shipwreck survivor and his sidekick are harboring their own resentment of the industrialist. And it soon becomes clear to Cork that harmony, both at home and in Aurora, will be on the back burner for some time....

My Thoughts:
I felt this book was not quite as exciting or planned out as some of his others but still a very good read. I liked the strength brought out in the women and children of Purgatory Ridge. I also liked some of the twists in the book that I really didn't see coming. Looking forward to the rest of this series. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
For Diane, who is the first blessing each morning and the final beauty each night,
and for June and Lloyd Peterson, who welcomed me as a son.
Above all things in heaven or on earth, John LePere loved his brother.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,300,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible