How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire by…

How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire

by Kerrelyn Sparks

On the run from the Russian mob after witnessing a brutal murder, dentist Shanna Whelan is rescued from certain death by Roman Draganesti, a charming and wealthy vampire in search of a dentist who can repair his broken fang.

I've been following a few tried and true paranormal vampire romance series, but haven't read any new ones in a while. I was hoping to liven things up with a whole new group of vamps, and that's exactly what happened with How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire. The Love at Stake series has a slightly different mythology than the other series I've been reading, plus an added dose of humor that isn't often found in the paranormal sub-genre. Kerrelyn Sparks uses a good bit of traditional vampire lore while adding a few little twists that are all her own. The funny parts had me chuckling many times, while also keeping things from getting too heavy, but there's still a fairly good dose of seriousness, angst and emotion. All these elements came together to create a very enjoyable start to this new-to-me series, and a pretty impressive debut novel from this author.

Roman was a really yummy hero. He's a genius scientist, technically a virgin, and hot to boot. Romance heroes just don't get much more scrumptious than that to me. The author created a very interesting twist to Roman's character by having him be a monk in his mortal life. As a result he is a pretty tortured hero who believes that God has abandoned him and that his soul is damned to hell. Even though he thinks of himself as an evil creature, Roman is an innately good man who has never forgotten his calling as a healer. He has saved countless vampire and human lives with his invention of synthetic blood, and is working on a formula to keep vampires awake during the day which could also have implications for mortals. Roman is a man who truly cares about people and doesn't want to endanger mortals by feeding from them, nor does he want to turn any more humans for fear of damning their souls as well. Roman is also the American coven leader and as such, he has gained more than a few enemies from both the vampire and human world. I do wish that the author had brought out his genius (read geeky) nature a little more, because we don't get to see much of him at work. Overall though, Roman was a great hero. He adores Shanna and would do anything to give her a “normal” life.

Shanna is a dentist who is afraid of blood. Yup, you read that right.;-) This made for some pretty funny moments when Roman came to her to get his broken fang fixed, but it was also very emotionally touching because of the reasons for her fear. Shanna witnessed a hit by the Russian mob in which her best friend was killed, and now she is hiding out in the witness protection program. She works the overnight shift at a 24-hour dental clinic where she thankfully doesn't see much action, until Roman shows up, and then her whole world is turned upside down. Shanna discovers that things she didn't believe in, namely vampires, actually do exist, but she has an uncanny ability to resist their mind control. I loved the psychic connection she shared with Roman, and the vampire mind sex was pretty hot too. What I liked most about Shanna was her kindhearted, caring nature. Of course, she's shocked and even frightened when she finds out what Roman is, but she comes around pretty quickly, always seeing the good man and not the monster he thinks he is. She actually treats Roman with a compassion that is quite foreign to him.

How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire has lots of great supporting characters, many of whom get their own books in the series. I think my favorites were the kilted Highlander guards. They are led by Angus (Be Still My Vampire Heart), another coven master and one of Roman's closest allies. Among their ranks are also the charming Connor (Vampire Mine) and the cute, boyish-looking Ian (All I Want for Christmas Is a Vampire). There is also the handsome Frenchman Jean-Luc (The Undead Next Door), a third coven master who is allied with Roman. He's a clothing designer, but make no mistake, he's no sissy. We also have playboy, Gregori (Sexiest Vampire Alive) who is Roman's right hand man, and Phil (Forbidden Nights with a Vampire), one of his daytime guards. Next up in the series though is Austin (Vamps and the City), a vampire slayer and member of the Stake-Out team. I also noticed that Caitlyn Whelan who I assume to be Shanna's sister is the heroine of Eat, Prey, Love. Of course there are lots of baddies from the Russian coven including Ivan, their coven master and long-time enemy of Roman. All these characters came together seamlessly to make a very colorful cast.

Overall, How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire was a very fun read and a great start to the Love at Stake series. The humor made the story very cute, but it still managed to maintain a certain degree of the edgy emotion I've come to expect from paranormal romance. My only two small complaints would be that the dialog could occasionally get a little long-winded which as an introvert can be a bit tiring to read. The other thing is that the narrative takes place over probably less than a week's time which is a little too quickly for me to 100% buy into the notion of a lifetime commitment by the end, but unfortunately, that seems to be par for the course with many current romances especially in the paranormal genre. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the story and am looking forward to continuing with the series. How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire has definitely breathed some new life into my paranormal romance reading. ( )
  mom2lnb | Oct 5, 2019 |
Meh. It was fine. I liked it, I didn’t love it. Hoping that it’s just a bit of “first book syndrome”, but we’ll see.

Smacked a little of Night Huntress, though I’m not sure which was written first. NH did it better either way. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Roman Draganesti has been a vampire for over 500 hundred years, and is simply put a genius; especially when it comes to the sciences. He is the leader of his coven and is responsible for everyone in it. Roman is a tormented vampire, who believes he is a 'demon from Hell' and even though has helped hundreds in need, he is very miserable. One evening, one of his scientists, Lazlo brings in a fake female body, that is nude and looks real, but thinks will help vampires with the need to sink their fangs into mortals necks, this way there is no risk to humans. Lazlo has also filled this fake specimen with blood, so Roman decides to sink his teeth into it, only by doing so one of his fangs comes out. He is horrified, since it has never happened to a vampire before, let alone someone as old as he is. So he intends to go to a dentist to fix this mess before the sun comes up. Shanna Whelan, is on the run from the russian mafia, who wants her dead. She is in witness protection, and is a dentist since it is something that she loves doing; however she has one slight problem she has a fear of blood. Then she gets a call and she knows the mafia has found her so she runs to flee and runs into Roman Draganesti, who seems charming and handsome but not knowing who he really is she pulls a gun on him. Of course guns with regualar bullets won't harm very much vampires, so Roman of course finds the situation humorous. Who wouldn't if one was a vampire right? Roman, accustomed to danger sweeps her off her feet (literally) and saves her life and protects her from those that want to kill her. Therein starts this sensational but dramatic love story, that goes on a ride with ups and down and gives you a thrill of adventure, passion and love.

I have always loved reading Kerrelyn Sparks, every time I read one of her books, I find myself unable to turn away from any of them, this one is no different. I realize I am totally reading this 'Love At Stake' Series out of order, but then I just discovered Sparks not too long ago. So I was really excited when I found this one at the library. I have really wanted to read Roman and Shanna's story, which was just as enchanting as I thought that it would be. You have Roman who is a tormented man, who struggles with his past, since before he became a vampire he was a monk, and believes that God has betrayed him. But throughout this book, Roman figures out the God doesn't betray anyone, especially those that are good. In this one there is a bit of spiritual element, due to the fact of who Roman is as a person, who has tried to right all of the wrongs in his past. Then he finds Shanna who is unlike any mortal that he has ever met. First off she can resist his mental manipulation, which alone makes her special; and the more he gets to know her, the more he realizes that he cannot possibly live without her. Shanna has been on the run, ever since her friend died, and has had to leave all that she knew behind and start a new life. However right when she does, danger and the threats come back to haunt her once more, until she meets the enigmatic handsome stranger that saves her life and protects her. Shanna knows there is something suspicious about him and his personnel, besides the fact that most of his security at night wear kilts and sporans and swords, its like she has been taken back to the medieval time. I definitely loved this one, (especially the whole security guards that are handsome, virile Scots and wear kilts who can resist such a read right?) This book had me cracking up, and tearing up a few times. It was a emotional roller coaster, a ride that I definitely enjoyed taking and am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 23, 2019 |
As a lighthearted, action-oriented paranormal romance, this is an easy read that's something of an enjoyable escape--I had a lot of fun getting to know the characters, and as I've discovered before, I kind of love Sparks' humor. That said, this doesn't stand up to Sparks' more recent books--and there's nothing wrong with that, obviously, since you'd expect an author to grow over the course of their career. The point to be noted here, though, is that readers of her more recent works might well be disappointed by the somewhat more simplistic story presented here, and I have a feeling I would have enjoyed this book quite a bit more if I hadn't had higher expectations because of reading her other (more recent) works.

So, yes, I certainly recommend it if you're looking for a fun and easy, action-oriented paranormal romance that's got plenty of humor. The one caveat is that, if you already are a fan of Kerrelyn Sparks, you'll want to temper your expectation. Hopefully, though, you haven't discovered her yet, so you'll have plenty to look forward to after this book, knowing her work has only gotten better over the years! ( )
  whitewavedarling | Nov 25, 2018 |
Dnf ( )
  Jen_Pretty | Oct 8, 2018 |
With love and gratitude to my writing pals,
who keep me sane when times are bad
and celebrate when times are good--
MJ Selle, Vicky Dreiling,
Vicky Yelton, and Sandy Weider.

Also, my sincerest gratitude
to these brilliant women--
my agent, Michelle Grajkowski,
and my editor, Erika Tsang.
Roman Draganesti knew someone had quietly entered his home office.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,984,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible