How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire

by Kerrelyn Sparks

Series: Love at Stake (1)

So what if he's a bit older and usually regards a human female as dinner, not a dinner date? Yes, Roman Draganesti is a vampire, but a vampire who lost one of his fangs sinking his teeth into something he shouldn't have. Now he has one night to find a dentist before his natural healing abilities close the wound, leaving him a lop-sided eater for all eternity. Things aren't going well for Shanna Whelan either...After witnessing a gruesome murder by the Russian mafia, she's next on their hit list. And her career as a dentist appears to be on a downward spiral because she's afraid of blood. When Roman rescues her from an assassination attempt, she wonders if she's found the one man who can keep her alive. Though the attraction between them is immediate and hot, can Shanna conquer her fear of blood to fix Roman's fang? And if she does, what will prevent Roman from using his fangs on her...… (more)

3.75 Stars

As you can tell by my 4 instead of 5 stars, this is not my favorite of the series. I did enjoy reading it. The writing itself was well done. It flowed with ease. So it wasn't the writing or even the plot I had trouble with.
Here is a quote from the book that will stay with me for the rest of my life!

“Blessed is he who finds his destiny and fulfills it.”

I think my main problem is with Marielle. For an angel of her age, that has dealt with humans for more than a millennium, she seemed to be a bit deficient on the ways of humans and her character seemed bit anemic. The romance and attraction between Connor & Marielle seemed a bit stiff. To be honest, a bit boring.

That said, there is a lot I did truly enjoy about the story. The parts the various angels played, the secrets we learn about Conner, how things play out with the Malcontents and even Shanna's father are all intriguing and well played out. I just feel that the relationship part and the character of Marielle didn't hit its true potential. ( )
  bodebeabay | Sep 25, 2022 |
4.75 stars

FUNNY! It started funny and the humor is throughout the book. It moves quickly and is a really fun read. You can't help but to really like both Shanna & Roman. They make you smile.

Don't look for erotic scenes. What little there is became victim to humor.

Most of this book is naïve & unsophisticated. More of a Young Adult/New Adult type romance. This book shows potential for a great series. It was published in 2009 & has me curious as to how the series has developed.
Hopefully, the few problems I had with this book has been taken care of in the next book. We will see, since I plan on reading book 2 in the near future. ( )
  bodebeabay | Sep 25, 2022 |
Finally!!! I got to read about my…errrr…Connor. Throughout the series, I have been wanting to read his story because with his grouchy comments, he obviously had something against love. Connor is another sexy kilt wearing Scotsman who works for Mackay Security and Investigation as the Roman Draganesti’s personal guard. He is nearing is 500th birthday which is the equivalent to a mortal’s mid-life crisis. Unlike other vampires, he enjoys his death sleep during the day because he can feel no pain or have any painful memories. He believes that he is bound for hell for things he did in his past but Father Andrew tells him all he has to do is confess his sins and he will be forgiven. Connor is not about to do that. He tells Father Andrew, “I confess nothing.”

When Connor is sent to Mount Rushmore to make sure their enemy is not there, he sees unusual lightning and hears a woman and a man arguing. He hears the man tell the woman that she is banished and then he find the woman alone, naked and bleeding on the ground. He thinks she may be a Malcontent, the enemy, but he isn’t sure so he teleports her to Romatech. She keeps mumbling and telling him not to touch her. Roman and Laszlo think she is an angel because the cuts on her back have strange bones that do not match human anatomy. One of the beloved mortals – I can’t say who or it will spoil it – touches the angel and almost dies so Roman attempts to turn them into a vampire. Roman is then angry at Connor for endangering everyone by bringing an angel of death to Romatech so Connor takes her to Howard, the bear shifter’s cabin to help her heal.

We find out that Marielle is an angel of deliverance. She delivers souls that are already dying to heaven. She has trouble obeying orders so was banished when she thought she could save the children of the family that Casimir and his minions killed. She thought that the children could be healed instead of delivered unto death so she did not follow orders and another angel had to do her job. Her wings were torn from her body and she was left to fend for herself in the mortal realm. She believes she can get back her wings and go back to heaven if she helps the Vamps defeat Casimir but as she gets to know Connor, she starts to fall in love with him. How will she ever leave him?
This book had some humor in it and it was fun to watch Marielle learn to be human especially when Vanda, Marta and Brynley teleport in and decide to give her tips on how to be a female and they tell her about blow-jobs. What a nice thing to teach an angel! Mostly though, the book was serious and even had a death of well-loved character. I cried.

Sideline Stories -

Corky Courrant, the trouble-making talk show host who is now having an affair with Casimir stirs up more trouble. I really hope that someone stakes her in one of her huge boobs and hopefully it will be Vanda since Corky has caused her so much trouble. Another mortal gets transformed into a vampire when they are attacked by a Malcontent during a battle. This person might not like being a vampire so much though. Dougal was mentioned in this book but nothing was said on how well he is doing with just one hand since his right hand was chopped off. Lots of couples are pregnant and having children. I’m having a hard time keeping up with it all.

Of course, I cannot tell you the end of the book but if you are reading these books in a random order, I think this one is a must-read before you read book #11 or higher.
Now that I read Connor’s story, I have found a new crush. I found him in the last book. Mikhail from Moscow has been mentioned in a few of the books but in Eat Prey Love, his personality was shown as mostly quiet but super sarcastic with a dry sense of humor. I love sarcastic men.
I’m ready for the next book, Sexiest Vampire Alive.

www.paranormalromanceslut.com ( )
  dragonlion | Jul 30, 2022 |
I have found myself a new series to read.
The first and second chapters had me bursting out laughing so hard that tears came out of my eyes. I bought the book because I had just finished reading a few dark and serious books by some of my favorite authors but they were seriously lacking the quality that I have come to expect from them. I kept seeing this book on Goodreads and thought, “Why the hell not?” so I bought it with very low expectations. I mean, the title alone suggests uber cheesiness, right? Wrong! Well, sort of wrong…this author knows exactly what is cheesy and she knows exactly what she is doing. Is she riding the tailwinds of the vampire-craze storm? Of course, but she does it in a way that lets us know that she knows that we know. You know?
Usually, the lead male character is so macho and controlling that it borders on misogyny. Sometimes, they also are way too serious for my taste. Kerrelyn Sparks knows how to make a man sexy and powerful but isn’t afraid to poke some fun at him.
Roman Draganesti is a very old vampire who is the head of Romatech Industries and the inventor of synthetic blood. He loses a fang and needs to get to a dentist before sunrise or his body will heal the space in his gum where the fang should go while he sleeps. His loyal staff helps him find a dental clinic that stays open overnight.
Shanna Whelan is a dentist who works the graveyard shift at a dental clinic. She has been working there six week and has only had one client. She is so bored that her biggest excitement has been learning how to make her chair squeak to match the rhythm of the elevator music that is playing in the clinic. She goes by the name of Jane Wilson because she is in the Witness Protection Program. She witnessed a restaurant full of people along with her best friend get gunned down by the Russian Mafia while she hid. She is now afraid of the sight of blood and freaks out when she sees it. She answers the phone and someone on the other end tells her that he knows who she really is and that he’s coming to get her. She calls the US Marshal in charge of her case and gets voice mail. She locks the clinic doors but turns around to find Roman standing there. She points her gun at him but he easily takes it away from her. He ends up helping her escape the Russians and figures out the lead assassin is an old enemy of his and who is also a vampire.
I read this book until my eyes blurred. I was so into it that I tried to up the size on the font on my Kindle (my phone) but I just was too exhausted to focus. I finished the book earlier today. I already have the next book, Vamps and the City, downloaded. I hope it is as captivating as the first book and I hope she continues with the humor that hooked me on this first book.

www.paranormalromanceslut.com ( )
  dragonlion | Jul 30, 2022 |
Vampire Mine by Kerrelyn Sparks
Love at Stake series book 9. Paranormal vampire romance. Can be read as a stand-alone but better as part of the series. Religion keynotes as a warning.
Connor can’t believe all his friends have fallen in love. It’s definitely not something he’s interested in. Until Marielle. An Angel without her wings. Literally. Connor finds himself fighting both his attraction to the beautiful woman and his tragic and violent past.

A literal Angel. This was amusing with Marielle learning all about bodily functions she’s never noticed or had to deal with as an Angel. Of course, there are serious issues like the Malcontents and the whole faith topic too but romance is the central theme.
Overall enjoyable and romantic. ( )
  Madison_Fairbanks | May 25, 2022 |
With love and gratitude to my writing pals,
who keep me sane when times are bad
and celebrate when times are good--
MJ Selle, Vicky Dreiling,
Vicky Yelton, and Sandy Weider.

Also, my sincerest gratitude
to these brilliant women--
my agent, Michelle Grajkowski,
and my editor, Erika Tsang.
Roman Draganesti knew someone had quietly entered his home office.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,014,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible