This Just In: What I Couldn't Tell You on TV…

This Just In: What I Couldn't Tell You on TV

by Bob Schieffer

For Barrett
A Fellow Frog
All the best,
Bob Schieffer
  chestergap | Sep 5, 2017 |
Mr. Schieffer sheds some light on the events he covered as a newsman and anchor during his years with CBS. There are some pretty good stories about the famous and infamous. He reads his own book and does a nice job of it. It's a look back at an era of news coverage now almost gone. ( )
  jtlauderdale | Jun 4, 2010 |
In This Just In, Schieffer relates details about some of the most interesting, important, famous, and infamous news stories he has covered during his long career. He also covers his personal life and the network news business. It was a very interesting and enjoyable book. Schieffer, although a very distinguished news reporter comes across as a very down-to-earth and likable guy. He has had, and continues to have, a remarkable career with CBS news. ( )
  clark.hallman | Mar 21, 2008 |
Schieffer was the chief Washington correspondent for CBS News. He shares compelling anecdotes about the names in the news, from JFK's assasination, to Viet Nam, to the Nixon White House. I'm not sure I would have had the patience to wade through the printed version, but listening on my iPod while walking worked fine.
  kaulsu | Sep 23, 2007 |

In Bob Schieffer's own words, from the JFK assassination to the World Trade Center attacks, "I got to see most of it and came to know many of the major figures of those four decades because I am a reporter. I became a reporter because I always wanted to see things for myself and make my own judgments about them. Those events I covered have become part of our history and you already know most of them. But I want to tell you about the parts that didn't get on television or in the paper, the serious parts and the not-so-serious parts, the good times I had, and the presidents, senators, correspondents, big-time crooks, and small-time swindlers I came to know. Here are the stories I tell my friends, and they are the stories I want to share with you."

Schieffer is not only broadcast journalism's most experienced Washington reporter, but one of its best natural writers. This Just In is filled with great behind-the-scenes tales and surprising scoops based on dozens of brand-new-and sometimes startling-interviews. Smart, witty, and insightful, these are the stories you'll want to share with your friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:48 -0400)

"Bob Schieffer started his reporting career in Texas when he was barely old enough to buy a beer, joined CBS News in 1969, and became one of the few correspondents ever to have covered all four major Washington beats: the White House, the Pentagon, the State Department, and Capitol Hill. Over the past four decades, he's seen it all, but this is no conventional memoir, no standard walk over familiar ground. These are the after-hours tales only his colleagues know." "From the JFK assassination to the terror of the Ole Miss riots, from Vietnam to the stunning near-coup of the 1968 election, from the "incubator of paranoia" that was the Nixon White House to two presidential impeachments to the supposed dream story of Election 2000 ("Being careful what you wish for is still a good rule") to the chaos and grief of 9/11, Schieffer combines vast experience, natural storytelling talent and dozens of brand-new interviews to create a book filled with candor, wit, insight, and surprises - the kinds of stories you'll want to share with your friends."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible