Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Gift from the Sea (1955)

by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

3,208651,733 (4.08)115

I completely lost myself in this book. The concerns and needs Ann Morrow Lindbergh wrote about in this book are still ones that are pertinent today. Using shells to illustrate the relationships was wonderful. Those images provided for moments of contemplation - either before, during, after, or in between reading the chapters. These thoughts show the inner strength of Anna M.Lindbergh. It is strength she is still passing on to this generation of women. ( )
  prudencegoodwife | Oct 14, 2017 |
This is a wonderfully insightful book about relationships written by a woman privileged to have the time for contemplation.

Mrs. Lindbergh lived a life of great sorrow and great grace. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
Wonderful book, especially if you are in the midst of a family crisis, or have a growing family, with all the challenges that one encounters. ( )
1 vote harrietbrown | Jun 24, 2017 |
Meditations on life, following the popular themes of solitude, minimalism and cultivating meaningful relationships with oneself and others, with interesting side-leaps into feminism (well, privileged feminism of the upper middle class), I really enjoyed Lindbergh's writing here, and her use of the different types of shells as analogies for relationships.

What's fascinating is how what she wrote sixty years ago is still so pertinent today, such as being constantly surrounded by distractions, being connected to more information and people than ever before - we are asked today to feel compassionately for everyone in the world, to digest intellectually all the information spread out in public print; and to implement in action every ethical impulse aroused by our hearts and minds. The inter-relatedness of the world links us constantly with more people than our hearts can hold -, and the danger of this is that this overload ends up as an abstraction for us, as one mass, one giant entity, depriving each of the individuality/meaning/compassion they deserve.

My edition came with an afterword twenty years after the original, and it is refreshing and heartening to see Lindbergh admitting her assumptions of feminism to have been naïve and her ideas of it now to be still evolving as she observes the differences in her daughters, and her appreciation of the ongoing awareness which have brought upon positive changes. I'd be so intrigued to hear her thoughts on it now, another forty years on, especially since she recognised that her particular brand of feminism applied only to certain American women. What would she think about the state of things now?

Aside: Most of the book isn't really about feminism but it's definitely the part that leapt out at me. ( )
1 vote kitzyl | Feb 26, 2017 |
This book is timeless, especially for women. Written in 1955 by Anne Morrow Lindbergh while she took a couple weeks out of her busy life to write and reflect on an island in a cottage by the sea, the book still speaks to current generations. She uses various type of empty seashells to illustrate and discuss the stages of life, mostly for women, but men have found this little book a gem as well. It can be read in a day. Her reflections and observations are wise and speak to several generations. At the time, she had 5 children and was married, with a busy social and working life. She points up that all women, especially then in 1955 and probably more so now, need alone time to replenish themselves. Women give so much of themselves to people and other activities that this alone time is critical. She makes some astute observations about aging women as well.

I think I'll read the book again now and then. It's graciously written and a good reminder. ( )
1 vote Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |

Anne Morrow Lindberghprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stadelmayer, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolff, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Beach is not a place to work; to read, write or think.
I want...to live "in grace" as much of the time as possible...I believe most people are aware of periods in their lives when they seem to be "in grace" and other periods when they feel "out of grace" even though they may use different words to describe these states.
There are...certain roads that one may follow. Simplification of life is one of them.
Moon shell...You will remind me that I must try to be alone for part of each year, even a week or a few days; and for part of each day, even for an hour or a few minutes in order to keep my core, my center, my island-quality.
Woman must...learn to stand alone.
In middle age...one tries to cure the signs of growth...when really they might be angels of annunciation. Angels of annunciation of what? Of a new stage of living when, having shed many of the physical struggles, the worldly ambitions, the material encumbrances of active life, one might be free to fulfill the neglected side of one's self. One might be free for growth of mind, heart, and talent; free at last for spiritual growth...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679406832, Hardcover)

I found a 1955 printing of this book in an old waterfront cabin and was struck by the care with which the previous owner had read it. Eve (the name inscribed inside the front cover and then again above the heading for chapter 3) made pencil marks on nearly every paragraph of the book, underlining a phrase, highlighting many passages with strong vertical marks, scratching out some words that she seems to have found superfluous and even x-ing out whole sections that apparently missed their mark with her altogether. Two rusting paper clips isolate several pages, absent any marking at all. Anne Morrow Lindbergh's lyrical words are still relevant and presage so many of the themes of today's most popular books: simplicity, peaceful solitude, caring for the soul, a woman finding her place in society and life. I heard that the woman who had lived in the cabin had actually passed away some time before. Thank you, Eve, for your gift... from the sea.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:49 -0400)

A woman's reflections on life, its stages, and its states, comparing them with the natural treasures of life in the sea.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,528,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible