Gift from the Sea (1955)

by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Over a quarter of a century after its first publication, the great and simple wisdom in this book continues to influence women's lives.

English (79)  French (1)  All languages (80)
Gentle reflections on feminine life with comparisons to shells, although some of it is rather dated. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Oct 22, 2021 |
For some reason (maybe my mother was reading it?) I first read this book when I was a kid. I remember kind of liking it, but boy, was I ever way too young for it then! This was the perfect book for me to read now, when I'm in a pretty distracted state most of the time, but in a a "what's it all about?" mode too. Gift from the Sea is a perfect book to keep around so you can open it up at random and read a chapter almost anytime, really. I think I'll keep coming back to this one, and maybe re-read it in full in 10 years or so. Lindbergh has a lot of good insights. It's a simple book, but a good one. ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |
This is a wonderfully insightful book about relationships written by a woman privileged to have the time for contemplation.

Mrs. Lindbergh lived a life of great sorrow and great grace. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
Despite wanting to like it, I found it more self-indulgent than anything else. ( )
  GiGiGo | Feb 5, 2021 |
I enjoyed this book on first reading, many years ago, and again this year. Anne Morrow Lindbergh writes beautifully. A book I think every thoughtful woman should take the time to read. ( )
  mollybdenum | Aug 20, 2020 |
There is a universality in her philosophy which is neither masculine nor feminine. A wise and beautiful book.
added by ArrowStead | editHarper's Magazine

A thing of beauty which "has the eternal validity of all beautiful and fleeting things." It is a sincere and eloquent plea for the ineffable rights of the individual, especially the individual as a woman.
added by ArrowStead | editChristian Science Monitor

I would swap it for all the bestseller, do-good, inspirational books I have read. Here are some of the profoundest and most helpful observations and comments, expressed in the clearest language, in the warmest tone.
added by ArrowStead | editAssociated Press

Though it deals with the essential needs, gifts, obligations and aspirations of woman as distinct from those of man, it is in no sense merely what is sometimes slightingly called a woman's book. A sensitive, tensile, original mind probes delicately into questions of balance and relationship in the world today, and the result is a book for human beings who are mature or in search of maturity, whether men or women.
added by ArrowStead | editThe New York Times Book Review

An Intensely personal book in which, nonetheless, every thoughtful woman will find a reflection of her own half- realized frustrations and answers.
added by ArrowStead | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 1, 1955)

Anne Morrow Lindberghprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lindbergh, ReeveIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stadelmayer, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolff, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

dtv (64)
The Beach is not a place to work; to read, write or think.
I want...to live "in grace" as much of the time as possible...I believe most people are aware of periods in their lives when they seem to be "in grace" and other periods when they feel "out of grace" even though they may use different words to describe these states.
There are...certain roads that one may follow. Simplification of life is one of them.
Moon shell...You will remind me that I must try to be alone for part of each year, even a week or a few days; and for part of each day, even for an hour or a few minutes in order to keep my core, my center, my island-quality.
Woman must...learn to stand alone.
In middle age...one tries to cure the signs of growth...when really they might be angels of annunciation. Angels of annunciation of what? Of a new stage of living when, having shed many of the physical struggles, the worldly ambitions, the material encumbrances of active life, one might be free to fulfill the neglected side of one's self. One might be free for growth of mind, heart, and talent; free at last for spiritual growth...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,457,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible