The Girls from Ames: A Story of Women and a…

The Girls from Ames: A Story of Women and a Forty-Year Friendship

by Jeffrey Zaslow

A testament to the deep bonds of women as they experience life's joys and challenges-- and the power of friendship to triumph over heartbreak and unexpected tragedy.

English (47)  Spanish (2)  All languages (49)
This really didn't resonate with me. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Sep 12, 2018 |
A closed group of young women who grew up in Ames, Iowa, and then scattered to eight different states following their dreams and establishing their careers. Through divorce, disease, and the birth and death of two children they gather together to laugh, cry, celebrate, and support one another. Zaslow also includes study results showing the difference of friendships between men and women and that women who have close friendships live longer. Despite being such tight friends, the girls are all very different personalities and it's very easy to become engaged in their story, even their mean girl incident involving one of their own. I stayed up past my bedtime several times while reading this book ( )
  lisa.schureman | Nov 15, 2017 |
11 girls who became friends during their childhood years in Ames, Iowa remain friends almost 40 years later. This book looks at how their friendships formed, how they've evolved over the years, how they kept the friendships intact while being busy with children and jobs. Now scattered throughout the United Stares, the 10 remaining women still try to get together at least once a year for a reunion. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
I have to admit that I did not read every word in this book. I t was ok but not riveting. I liked the idea of a book about a group who have been friends forever more than I liked this book. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
I just finished reading The Girls From Ames, which is for my library book club meeting tonight. I started out liking the book. Then I couldn't get into it for awhile. I stuck with it and found myself really enjoying it.

The Girls from Ames is about 11 girls who have remained friends since they were young in Ames, Iowa. You learn so much about each girl and friendship in general. I really found myself thinking about friends I had in high school. I also saw myself relating to one of the girls that was shy and was confronted by the other girls from the group at a sleep over. It was intended to be a nice gathering and turned into a sort of mean girl event.

Sometimes when you grow up you don't realize that even though the world seems to be changing that things haven't changed that much. Girls have always been mean just not mean like the girls of today.

The challenges that each girl/woman has gone through in her life. I find myself now wanting to know more about how they are doing since this book was written. I know I will be checking out the website that was mentioned in the book. www.girlsfromames.com

I am glad I read the book and now want to renew old friendships. ( )
  crazy4reading | Feb 24, 2015 |
For all those who've known the gift of friendship...

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,859,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible