Nice Girls Don't Live Forever

by Molly Harper

Series: Jane Jameson (3)

"Nothing sucks the romance out of world travel like a boyfriend who may or may not have broken up with you in a hotel room in Brussels. Jane Jameson's sexy sire Gabriel has always been unpredictable, but the seductive, anonymous notes that await him at each stop of their international vacation, coupled with his evasive behavior over the past few months, finally push Jane onto the next flight home to Half Moon Hollow--alone, upset, and unsure whether Gabriel just ended their relationship without actually telling her. Now the children's-librarian-turned-vampire is reviving with plenty of Faux Type O, some TLC from her colorful friends and family, and her plans for a Brave New Jane. Step One: Get her newly renovated occult bookstore off the ground. Step Two: Support her best friend, Zeb, and his werewolf bride as they prepare for the impending birth of their baby...or litter. Step Three: Figure out who's been sending her threatening letters, and how her hostile pen pal is tied to Gabriel. Because for this nice girl, surviving a broken heart is suddenly becoming a matter of life and death...."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

English (38)  Piratical (1)  All languages (39)
I am reading this for the second time and find it is an entirely different experience from the first time. That fact is what makes rereading possible. Depending on how much time has elapsed since the first reading I may or may not enjoy a book as much the second time or I might enjoy it even more. One can age out of books or grow into them. This was just as funny and I still love Jane even if my visualization of her has changed. It was a really good series and I am glad there is another one to read and wish there were more. ( )
  Karen74Leigh | Aug 29, 2021 |
Good fun. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
I love this series and it was just the light read read I was looking for. I love the snarky humor of Jane. This story had an interesting plot and lots of humor. It is an excellent choice for a beach read. ( )
  purpledog | Aug 26, 2019 |
This is the third book in the Jane Jameson series. I give it 2.5 stars. Not a bad read, but most of it was fluff.

The bulk of the middle of the book seemed more like a way to pass time until the action started. The book starts out with Jane in Europe with Gabriel. Gabriel keeps receiving mysterious notes, and then spastically switches hotels or even cities. Jane finally has enough and leaves, and Gabriel lets her.

Jane comes home brokenhearted, and thus, begins a lot of nothing. Fluff and filler until the last few chapters. Mr Wainwright's annoying nephew shows up, Jane joins the Chamber of Commerce (aka the pink Courtney sorority), and Zeb and Jolene find out they're expecting. That's it. That's about all that happens through a large majority of the book. Each of these events does seem to help character development, but it's not enough to have chapters upon chapters about.

The bulk of the "action" (i.e., the person who wants to kill Jane this time) happens right at the end. And even that was rather anti-climatic.

So, while I still mostly like the characters, this book was not the best of the series. Here's hoping the next book is better. ( )
  wanderinglynn | Mar 22, 2018 |

Angsty vampires are...well, angsty.

This book seemed shorter and a quicker read than the disappointing second. Not sure why, since there wasn't non-stop action or anything, but it was more enjoyable. There is a small background of danger and mystery throughout most of the story, focusing on an issue of doubt Jane is having with her sire Gabriel. I must say I was surprised when the villains were unveiled at the end. Unrealistic one of them wouldn't have been noticed, very, but with this kind of plotline it's excusable.

Amidst this disaster, Jane deals with trying to join the local community charter and wiggle her way into promotion for the newly opened bookshop. Hilarity and confrontation ensues. There is the meddling of Jane's family one loves to hate, accompanied by the funniest situations of Jolene and Zed's family woes. Seriously, this author writes cringe-worthy relatives.

It wasn't fast paced with tension and Jane honestly didn't seem that upset about relationship issues, but I appreciate that the author didn't have her mope most of the book. That would have just been annoying. Plenty of book and reader references kept me a happy girl. Jolene and Andrea as the buds grew on me even further, I really like both of them and what they bring to the story.

Humor again works and the author has a clear knack for bringing out giggles without seeming forced. There are one or two actual erotic moments, although the book isn't heavy on the bedroom play. Gabriel remains as dreamy as ever. Dick is funny but unrealistic.

These books are light, fluffy fun, good to consume when you don't want anything heavy. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |

Molly Harperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ronconi, AmandaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

My life didn't begin until I died.

Nothing sucks the romance out of world travel like a boyfriend who may or may not have broken up with you in a hotel room in Brussels. Jane Jameson’s sexy sire, Gabriel, has always been unpredictable. But the seductive, anonymous notes that await him at each stop of their international vacation, coupled with his evasive behavior over the past few months, finally push Jane onto the next flight home to Half Moon Hollow — alone, upset, and unsure whether Gabriel just ended their relationship without actually telling her.

Now the children’s-librarian-turned-vampire is reviving with plenty of Faux Type O, some TLC from her colorful friends and family, and her plans for a Brave New Jane. Step One: Get her newly-renovated occult bookstore off the ground. Step Two: Support her best friend, Zeb, and his werewolf bride as they prepare for the impending birth of their baby . . . or litter. Step Three: Figure out who’s been sending her threatening letters, and how her hostile pen pal is tied to Gabriel. Because for this nice girl, surviving a broken heart is becoming a matter of life and undeath...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,221,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible