Silver Borne [Mercedes Thompson] (WRONG…

Silver Borne [Mercedes Thompson] (WRONG ISBN)

by Patricia Briggs

Series: Mercy Thompson (5), World of the Marrok (11)

Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs (zannyvix)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (DonnerLibrary)
    DonnerLibrary: Both books involve women learning more about the werewolves they are involved with.

English (107)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (109)
3.5 ( )
  JennyR-WY | May 27, 2018 |
Silver Borne
4 Stars

As with the previous books in the series Silver Borne has its pros and its cons.

Adam is an incredible hero, and he and Mercy have the potential for an intense and spell binding relationship. Unfortunately, Briggs fails miserably on this front as the chemistry that builds up in the first two books never comes to fruition. Any and all intimate moments between the two either fade to black or devolve into the abstract. Yes, this is UF and romance is not the focus but if the author has decided to include this element, she should make a good go of it.

Moreover, the misogynist undertones have not improved. Once again, the secondary female characters are not presented in a good light. Aurelia seems to have accepted Mercy but I wouldn't call her a friend, Mary Jo is revealed to be behind the mind manipulation because she wants Adam for herself - could this possibly be more of a cliche? Finally, Sylvia who has actually been a sympathetic character turns out to be so prejudiced against werewolves that she disowns her own son. I'm starting to lose hope that Briggs will write a strong and likable female other than Mercy.

As in the earlier installments, several plot threads are introduced at the outset including the mystery surrounding the fae book, the conflict within Adam's pack, Samuel's emotional issues, and the attack at Mercy's garage. Nevertheless, these all come together quite quickly and the story is the most linear and cohesive in the series thus far. Of particular note is the manner in which Mercy's problems with the pack ultimately come to her aid against the fae and the resolution of Samuel's problems, which does seem to come out of nowhere but is satisfying nonetheless (looks like there is more to Samuel's past than meets the eye).

In sum, while Mercy and gang are an entertaining bunch, my difficulties with some of the ongoing themes in the books are preventing the series from moving beyond the realm of the simply enjoyable and into the realm of the truly spectacular. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. Anyone who has been following my reviews probably already knows how much I love this series and this book was no exception. It was so nice to re-visit this wonderful story and spend more time with characters that I have grown to love. This wasn't the most exciting book in the series or my favorite but it was still a very solid read.

Mercy has a lot to deal with in this installment. She needs to find the owner of the bookstore where she borrowed a very special book in a previous installment. It seems that he might be in some kind of trouble and someone wants to get his hands on the book. Samuel is in crisis and his wolf is in control. Mercy knows that if he doesn't come around quickly then it will be the end for Samuel so she wants to give him some time to sort things out.

There are also a few issues concerning the pack and Mercy's relationship with Adam. Not everyone in the pack is happy to have Mercy as a member. Being a part of a pack is new to Mercy and she isn't used to how easily they can get in her head. Adam and Mercy do love each other and take some steps to get things worked out.

My favorite parts of this book were the sections that dealt with the pack and Adam. It is kind of fun after reading the whole series to see how much things have changed over the course of the series. I think that both Mercy and Adam took some major steps in this book to strengthen their relationship and Mercy's place in the pack. The issues with Samuel were also very well done. I really do enjoy his character and he is really in a bad place for much of this book.

Lorelei King is the voice of Mercy Thompson. She does such a wonderful job narrating this series that I usually want to move to the next book just as soon as I finish a book. The character's emotions really come across perfectly with her narration and she is able to voice a large number of characters very well. I look forward to listening to this narrator many more times in the future.

I would highly recommend this book to others. This is a series that really needs to be read in order since the character relationships are a large part of the story. I look forward to continuing with my re-read of this series very soon. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Jun 22, 2017 |
Returning overdue books has never been quite this dangerous.

Mercy borrowed a book to help her understand the fae. But when she tries to return it she finds the bookstore owner has disappeared and several nasty foes who wouldn't mind eating her. If only Samuel was feeling himself and someone wasn't trying to sabotage date night with Adam she could deal with this situation.

Despite their standalone nature, the plot of the books in this series overlap a lot. While you could jump into the series with Silver Borne and enjoy it without any problems, the significance and development of the plots would be a little incomplete if you hadn't read the previous instalments. That said, this novel feels like a turning point in the series, with Mercy starting to come into her own. Hard to comment without spoilers, and it really is just easier to read and enjoy. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
No explicit sex scene??? Really?? Not even one??? A teeny weeny one??? No??

Plus she moves form no danger mode to extreme life threatening one so fast it's confusing sometimes.

Other then that, love them as always. ( )
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LorelaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Long-Suffering Editors who never lose their cool, Husbands who feed horses, Children who drive themselves and fix their own meals, to Vets who take panicked phone calls at all hours, and to all of you who give of your time, talents and energy to help others and to be there when you are needed.
My thanks.
The starter complained as it turned over the old Buick's heavy engine.
ISBN 0345465490 is for The Hunt Ball by Rita Mae Brown

It seems the book contains secret knowledge-and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side-leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit.

All in all, Mercy has had better days. And if she isn't careful, she might not have many more to live...

When mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson attempts to return a powerful Fae book she'd previously borrowed in an act of desperation, she finds the bookstore locked up and closed down. It seems the book contains secret knowledge--and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side--leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,833,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible