The Lost Hours

by Karen White

The New York Times bestselling author of the Tradd Street novels delivers a gripping tale of family, fate, and forgiveness. When Piper Mills was twelve, she helped her grandfather bury a box that belonged to her grandmother in the backyard. For twelve years, it remained untouched. Now a near fatal riding accident has shattered Piper's dreams of Olympic glory. After her grandfather's death, she inherits the house and all its secrets, including a key to a room that doesn't exist--or does it? And after her grandmother is sent away to a nursing home, she remembers the box buried in the backyard. In it are torn pages from a scrapbook, a charm necklace--and a newspaper article from 1939 about the body of an infant found floating in the Savannah River. The necklace's charms tell the story of three friends during the 1930s-- each charm added during the three months each friend had the necklace and recorded her life in the scrapbook. Piper always dismissed her grandmother as not having had a story to tell. And now, too late, Piper finds she might have been wrong.… (more)

I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it. I am looking forward to reading other books by this author. ( )
  Martha662 | Jun 27, 2020 |
This was a decent read, but I figured out the 'shocking secret' early in the book, which took some of the fun out of reading it. Also, I got tired of the main character feeling sorry for herself. ( )
  tiasreads | Dec 11, 2019 |
In the 1930's there are 3 girls (Annabelle, Lillian and Josie) who buy a charm necklace together and take turns writing in a journal.
Present day: Piper recently lost both her grandparents who she has lived with since she was 6 due to the death of her parents. Piper was a champion equestrian until her horse fell on her 6 years previously. Since the death of her grandparents, she remembers a box that her Grandfather and she buried that belonged to Annabelle (the Grandmother). She digs it up, finds a charm necklace and part of a journal. With a key that her lawyer gives her (lawyer was instructed to give key to Piper after the death of grandparents), she discovers a secret room.
Piper sets out to find the mystery of the necklace and the journal.
For the most part, I enjoyed listening to the audio version of this book. ( )
  travelgal | Nov 2, 2019 |
I enjoyed the story, but parts of it were too predictable. The characters were good and the secrets were dark, so it's definitely worth the read. I must admit that I did not see the final secret coming. Almost four stars, but it fell a little short. ( )
  BookLove80 | Jul 16, 2019 |
I did enjoy reading this novel by Karen White, although I found it hard to get into at the beginning. It was not similar in style to many of the other books I have read by Karen, maybe that was why. There are several secrets throughout the story, but the main one is not revealed until the last chapter. There are suspense, romance and a little heartbreak throughout the book. What more could you ask for? ( )
  Sandralb | Aug 30, 2016 |
The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us and we see nothing but sand;
The angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone.
-George Eliot
To my beautiful grandmother, Grace Bianca.
Thank you for sharing your stories.
When I was twelve years old, I helped my granddaddy bury a box in the back garden of our Savannah house.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,135,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible