50 Facts That Should Change the World by…

50 Facts That Should Change the World (2004)

by Jessica Williams

nice book about extreme facts about the world we live in! ( )
  Abrahamray | Feb 22, 2016 |
A well-researched book that contains some frightening stats. It desperately needs updating, but is an insightful read nonetheless. ( )
  martensgirl | Mar 21, 2015 |
Eye-opening, refreshing and scary. ( )
  Maggie_Rum | Jun 1, 2011 |
the stats in this book were really overwhelming, but good to know. it's a bit outdated as it was published in 2003, and i would really like to see this information with current figures. i have a feeling it would be even more depressing. but it was still a good book and covered a wide range of issues facing the world. i would highly recommend it. ( )
  shannonkearns | Jan 8, 2011 |
There are 27 million slaves in the world today. Nearly half of Americans believe aliens have landed on Earth. Landmines kill or maim at least one person every hour.

Before I read Jessica Williams' "50 Facts that Should Change the World," I considered myself a fairly aware person when it comes to problems facing the word. Poverty. Global warming. The oppression of women and children. Nailed it! Right?

Wrong. So very wrong. This book is poised and ready to slap you across the face with a big dose of awareness. I would challenge anyone who thinks they have a grasp on the world's problems to pick up this book. Also, it would be great for anyone who simply wants to learn more about what's really going on in the world, and enjoys that process. Many argue that, as a country, as individuals, it "isn't our job to solve the world's problems." Even if that's the way you feel, Williams' books can provide valuable snapshots into life in the 21st Century.

BBC journalist Jessica Williams put out the first version of "50 Facts" in 2004. I read the "2.0" version, which was published in 2007 -- and already seems outdated in many ways. The book was published by Disinformation Company Ltd., which brought us such wonders as "Everything You Know is Wrong" by Russ Kick (which I might save for next year, when I need another blast-to-the-brain of awareness).There is also a "50 Facts that Should Change the USA" out, by Stephen Fender.

Because Williams is a British journalist, "50 Facts" contains both American and British statistics. Each fact is backed up by 3-5 pages of explanation, reference and context. However, don't be fooled by it's concise content: this book is heavy.

I'm a rather stubborn learner, but I feel that reading this book straight through, cover to cover, changed me. Brightened with new facts about the world's plights, I would attempt to read them out loud to my boyfriend: eventually he urged me to stop, because they were too depressing.

And, truthfully, it is depressing. There are so many drastic problems facing this world, and most Americans truck along through their lives, unaware. It took me nearly two weeks to complete this book, because sometimes those facts will hit you hard and you have to stop. After reading about executions, torture, the rise of Starbucks, domestic violence in Russia or food additives, I would have to put the book down and hug my cat for a little while.

However, I am deeply glad I read this book. Yes, it is "shocking, sickening and sordid," but in many ways it woke me up, and I had no idea I was asleep to a majority of the world's problems. It has given me a new focus, and blessedly the book provides ways for concerned individuals to get involved and make a difference. I wouldn't reccomend reading it straight through, like I did; perhaps read a chapter at a time, process what you've read and then put it back on the bookshelf for another day.

I am going to keep this book around until 3.0 comes out, and I feel that I'll always have some "50 Facts" books in my library for reference. ( )
  wanderingeileen | Feb 10, 2010 |
To my aunt, Rosemary Williams,
a tireless activist for animal rights
whose memory inspired me as I wrote this book

50 Facts That Should Change the World is a series of snapshots of life in the 21st century. From the inequalities and absurdities of the so-called developed world to the vast scale of suffering wreaked by war, famine and AIDS in developing countries, it paints a picture of incredible contrasts. These are the facts YOU need to know.

50 Facts That Should Change the World contains an eclectic selection of facts that address a broad range of global issues. Each is followed by a short essay explaining the story behind the fact, fleshing out the bigger problem lurking behind the numbers. Real-life stories, anecdotes and case studies help to humanize the figures and make clear the human impact of the bald statistics.

The facts paint a picture of a world of inequality: unheard-of and often ludicrous prosperity living alongside crippling poverty. Some of the facts will make you rethink things you thought you knew. Some illustrate long-term, gradual changes in our society. Others concern local issues that people face in their everyday lives. Many will shock.

All of the facts remind us that whether we like to think of it or not, the world is interconnected and civilization is a fragile concept. 50 Facts that Should Change the World will make us think about some of the hard facts about our civilization, and what we can do about them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:46 -0400)

From the inequalities and absurdities of the so-called developed West to the vast scale of suffering wreaked by war, famine and AIDS in developing countries, this paints a picture of shocking contrasts. Each fact from this eclectic range is followed by explanation and analysis.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,613,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible