The Ask and the Answer (2009)

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (2)

Alternate chapters follow teenagers Todd and Viola, who become separated as the Mayor's oppressive new regime takes power in New Prentisstown, a space colony where residents can hear each other's thoughts.

English (162)  Dutch (2)  All languages (164)
3.5 stars
The sequel focuses on character development and is a bit slow at times. An enjoyable read, nonetheless. ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
Couldn't. Put. It. Down. Seriously, just buy the whole darn trilogy at once, as you'll be reaching for the next book to see how it ends.

It is labeled as "young adult" fiction, but I say only in that the two main protagonists are young teens.

Fantastic read!!! ( )
  jenncaffeinated | Jul 4, 2021 |
You should read The Knife of Never Letting Go first. This isn't a series of separate parts. It is sequential in the way the Lord of the Rings is sequential; one story in 3 volumes.

If you ever wondered how good people, kind people, found themselves participating in the evil of bad governments, this will show you the baby-step choices that lead to that hell. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
Personally, I liked this one better than the 1st book in the series, because it felt more...I dont know, relatable, I could connect with this book better than the 1st.
also, it may or may not be my imagination, but I found this book was better written.
P.S. can't wait to read the next book!!!! B-) ( )
  Mithra_Azad | Mar 26, 2021 |
In book two of the Chaos Walking trilogy, Todd and Viola arrive in Haven, only to see it overrun by Mayor Prentiss and his lackeys. Todd and Viola are forced apart, Todd being forced to work under Mayor Prentiss and Viola becoming a healer under the supervision of Mistress Coyle, who leads a mostly-female rebel organization. As things become more complicated, loyalties are not so cut and dry, and who really are the good guys?

A lot of reviewers seem to like this better than book #1. Not so for me. I liked the way book #1 gradually unfolded re: the plot, told exclusively from Todd's point of view. In this one, chapters alternated point of view between Todd and Viola. It worked because each character had their own role to play, separate from each other, but this book didn't grab me as much as The Knife of Never Letting Go did. I think part of that was because I read the first on audio, and the reader was especially good at portraying Todd's personality and voice. I didn't feel that in The Ask and the Answer. But...it's a trilogy, and I feel obligated to keep going, so Monsters of Men is next on my reading list. ( )
  indygo88 | Feb 13, 2021 |

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Folio SF (493)
Battle not with monsters lest you become a monster and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you. Friedrich Nietzsche
For Patrick Gale
"Your Noise reveals you, Todd Hewitt."
We are the choices we make.
"You are either forgetting or do not know that we already fought a great war, a war to end all wars, at just about the time you would have been born. If any repeat of that can be avoided—" (p. 36)
She looks at me carefully. "Appeasement," she says. "That's what it's called. Appeasement. It's a slippery slope."
   "What does it mean?"
   "It means you want to work with the enemy. It means you'd rather join him than beat him, and it's a sure-fire way to stay beaten."
(p. 153)
"You've got to be practical," Mayor Ledger says, "even in the face of tyrants."
(p. 301)
"I was only following orders," the Mayor mocks. "The refuge of scoundrels since the dawn of time."
(p. 454)

Science Fiction, Suspense
We are the choices
we make: do I fight or join
with my enemy?
(passion4reading)

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763644900, 076364837X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,313,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible